US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,249
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
This is such crap! As you've surely read a few others have already posted their criticisms of Obama and I'll post my own, provided you can do the same for McCain/Bush.
You must not have read many of the threads in this forum. I can't tell you how many times I've criticized John McCain and have stated the policies of his that I disagree with, and will do so again if you would like.

I've seen far more criticism of McCain by the small number of conservatives here than I have seen of Obama by the vast number of liberals in here.
__________________

__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,249
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
You mean voters who say things like this:

Kathie Steigerwald, a Dearborn, Michigan businesswoman who said she voted for Hillary Clinton but now plans to support McCain, offered an especially succinct recital of a narrative on which other interviewees offered numerous variations:

"I feel John McCain is a true American and I want to support a true American," she said.

But isn't Obama a "true American?" she was asked.

"I don't know," she said after a measured pause. "I question it."

Why?

"I don't know—maybe because of his name?"


Maybe this makes me an elitist but this kind of reasoning is just plain stupid, and the people who vote based on this are just plain stupid.
And it's the fault of the McCain campaign or conservatives in general that she feels that way?
__________________

__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #48
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,234
Local Time: 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
I've seen far more criticism of McCain by the small number of conservatives here than I have seen of Obama by the vast number of liberals in here.
Just a little while ago you claimed that no one ever criticized Obama here, so forgive me if I don't take the above statement too seriously.
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,249
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
That's exactly what this is. These guys have been blindly defending a man for eight years that has come off as one of the least intelligent presidents we've ever had, and I'm sure many have been secretly embarassed about this, but they couldn't really do anything about it. So they've been gathering up everything they can and they talk about them over and over, looping these soundbytes, so their audience goes from "well the only reason he will get elected is he's very well spoken black man", to "this guy's a moron". The audiences are like puddy in these guys hands. It's actually quite funny. You can hear it in their callers.
For someone who talks constantly about Glenn Beck and Rush and Malkin and others, it would help to listen to them before saying such dumb things. Show me when any of these people have said an Obama victory would only be because he's a "well spoken black man." Most conservatives commentators I know have praised Obama in some occasions.

Honestly, do you even listen to Beck or Rush? I'd like to know how often you frequent their programming. What exactly do you "hear in their callers?"

But what do I know... I'm just putty in the hands of Rush Limbaugh.
__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
That you think the right blogosphere stretches from Rush to Malkin shows a nice huge blind spot.


erm, those were just two examples.

i am talking about the highly organized right wing blogosphere/echo chamber, which includes Rush and Malkin, as well as Drudge, Hugh Hewitt, Hannity, Beck, Coulter, Fox News, etc. the punditry who sell books.

i am not talking about, say, Glenn Reynolds.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 06:55 PM
I really hope this isn't true.

Obama seems like a decent guy.


I can't believe he would treat her so poorly.


Quote:
Clinton doesn't seem to be high on Obama's list

By Adam Nagourney
Tuesday, July 29, 2008

WASHINGTON: When Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton abandoned her bid for the presidency and endorsed Senator Barack Obama in June, she made clear that she was interested in becoming his running mate, and Obama and his associates signaled respectfully that she would get full consideration.

But there is mounting evidence that Obama's interest in Clinton for the post has faded considerably — if, in fact, she ever really was a strong contender to be on the ticket with him.

In conversations, Obama's advisers discuss Clinton's role at the Democratic convention next month in a way that suggests they are not thinking of her arriving in Denver as Obama's running mate.

When Obama appeared Sunday on "Meet the Press" on NBC he offered a description of the kind of person he was looking for — hinting that it would not be someone who was identified strongly with Washington, a choice that would appear to leave out Clinton — that his associates said reflected the lack of serious thought being given to Clinton for the post.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I can't believe he would treat her so poorly.

blame Bill.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 12:55 PM
If she was VP then she would only be one assassination away from the presidency.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 10:45 PM   #54
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 03:55 AM
I don't know that there's anyone in here who can credibly claim to have been even close to evenhanded in their posts on the campaign. Dread, maybe; Bluer White at times. The thing is, with the exception of a few threads, we haven't really been debating the actual campaign issues and developing arguments for or against particular candidates' proposals for addressing them. The focus has mostly been on the personality contest--the gaffes!! the flip-flops!! the skeletons in the closet!!--as if the candidates were figureheads and little else. You're not likely to get an even remotely balanced dialogue out of that approach, and I'm not sure how many of us really want one.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Here's who Obama's going to pick . . . Kaine.

Kaine 'very, very high' on VP shortlist - Ben Smith and Amie Parnes - Politico.com
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I don't know that there's anyone in here who can credibly claim to have been even close to evenhanded in their posts on the campaign. Dread, maybe; Bluer White at times. The thing is, with the exception of a few threads, we haven't really been debating the actual campaign issues and developing arguments for or against particular candidates' proposals for addressing them. The focus has mostly been on the personality contest--the gaffes!! the flip-flops!! the skeletons in the closet!!--as if the candidates were figureheads and little else. You're not likely to get an even remotely balanced dialogue out of that approach, and I'm not sure how many of us really want one.


i wonder if this post isn't actually an indictment of the entire political system and underscores the fact that, ultimately, the differences between McCain and Obama are rather small.

though, quite honestly, i feel like this campaign has been a big improvement from 2004 where it was "if you don't vote for me, you'll be killed by Al Qaeda."
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 PM   #57
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,654
Local Time: 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
For someone who talks constantly about Glenn Beck and Rush and Malkin and others, it would help to listen to them before saying such dumb things. Show me when any of these people have said an Obama victory would only be because he's a "well spoken black man." Most conservatives commentators I know have praised Obama in some occasions.

Honestly, do you even listen to Beck or Rush? I'd like to know how often you frequent their programming. What exactly do you "hear in their callers?"

But what do I know... I'm just putty in the hands of Rush Limbaugh.
I listen to Hannity, Rush, and Beck's show every day of the work week, I spend hours in my car so I'm constantly switching back and forth between these shows, NPR, and music.

You should really read people's post because you really look foolish when you make these types of posts. I said the AUDIENCE went from saying one thing to saying another.

Your post:

Quote:
Tell that to all the people who want to vote for Obama just because he is young, black, handsome, and a good speaker.
http://forum.interference.com/f199/o...168210-43.html

Now this sentiment was very common amongst the audiences of those listed above. Thank you for proving my point.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
trevster2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,330
Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

though, quite honestly, i feel like this campaign has been a big improvement from 2004 where it was "if you don't vote for me, you'll be killed by Al Qaeda."
Waaaaaitttt for it!!

And yes, I agree with yolland's point of the possible condemnation of the US political system ( not that our system is without it faults either) but from up here, there is way more focus on bullshit topics like whether or not Obama should have visited wounded soldiers in Germany as opposed to the fact that your house is burning down and no one seems to give a shit about anything except sound bites. Pretty much everyone I know will be utterly devastated if the U.S does not vote in Obama, not because he is the second coming but because after 8 years of Republican bullshit and Bushtard at the helm, it's time to go in a different direction. I miss the old US of A. I don't like this present incarnation.

And if people thought the world was pissed off after the 2004 election, that's nothing compared to the reaction if McCain gets in. Sadly, the largest voting block in the U.S are the 40% of the population who are either disenfranchised, ambivalent or just fed up with the whole system and don't vote. So from my point of view, I can see McCain winning, and the decline of the American empire will continue. I certainly hope this does not come to pass.
__________________
trevster2k is offline  
Old 07-29-2008, 12:37 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Despite this being a forum with only a small number of Bush supporters and there are threads with multiple posts expressing only one side of a political debate, several of the Bush supporters including myself have expressed views that are not in line with the mainstream views of the Republican Party. I support gun control laws similar to those in the United Kingdom and Ireland, I actually agree more with Obama on Tax policy than I do McCain, have positions on immigration that are more in line with most Democrats than Republicans, support Universal Health Care, and agree with the Democrats more than the Republicans on several social issues.

Credit where credit is due.
__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 07-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
You must not have read many of the threads in this forum. I can't tell you how many times I've criticized John McCain and have stated the policies of his that I disagree with, and will do so again if you would like.

I've seen far more criticism of McCain by the small number of conservatives here than I have seen of Obama by the vast number of liberals in here.
Actually, I have and I thought you might call me on my characterization of your views of McCain. You have been clear about your distaste for McCain in the past. I'm assuming that your die-hard defense of him now is because he's the Republican nominee and any Republican even one like McCain is better than a Dem getting the White House.

Which is fine. If you really do believe in conservative ideology than this stance makes sense to me. It's just that that's not how you come across in your posts. It sounds like now McCain is this Obama-like character who can do no wrong and clearly you don't really believe that even though that is the stance you tend to take in your posts.

Far be it from me to tell you how to post--truth be told in a weird kind of way I always look forward to your posts because they always make my jaw drop--but I'm just saying if you keep employing the "take-no-prisoners" histrionic style that is favored by some of these radio hosts you won't be taken seriously. Perhaps that's not particularly important to you. . .I don't know. . .I'm just sayin'.
__________________

__________________
maycocksean is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com