US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7 - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #571
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:38 AM
AP Analysis-misleading ad

TITLE: "Tiny."

LENGTH: 30 seconds.

AIRING: In key states where McCain is on the air.

SCRIPT: Announcer: "Iran. Radical Islamic government. Known sponsors of terrorism. Developing nuclear capabilities to 'generate power' but threatening to eliminate Israel. Obama says Iran is a 'tiny' country, 'doesn't pose a serious threat.' Terrorism, destroying Israel, those aren't 'serious threats'? Obama _ dangerously unprepared to be president."

John McCain: "I'm John McCain and I approved this message."

ANALYSIS: The ad is misleading because it states that Obama said Iran is "tiny" and "doesn't pose a serious threat" without noting that Obama was comparing the threat Iran poses today to the Soviet Union, the nuclear-armed adversary of the U.S. during the Cold War.

The nature of the threat from Iran, which the U.S. believes has nuclear ambitions, and how to deal with it are at the heart of a key policy debate for Obama and McCain. The ad seeks to boil down Obama's position to one that supports the McCain drumbeat that Obama isn't ready to be president.

For his part, McCain wants tougher sanctions on Iran and, like President Bush, doesn't support high-level talks with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Both Republicans see talks with such adversaries as legitimizing them and bringing them unwarranted attention.

In July 2007, Obama first stirred debate among his rivals for the Democratic nomination as well as among Republicans by asserting that he would be willing to meet _ without conditions _ in the first year of his presidency with the leaders of Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea. Obama later questioned whether Ahmadinejad would be "the right person" with whom to discuss U.S.-Iran relations. Still, Obama argues that direct diplomacy with Iran would help the U.S. press for tougher international sanctions.

Last May in Pendleton, Ore., Obama reiterated his belief that the U.S. is strong enough to talk with its adversaries. In calling Iran "tiny" compared to the Soviet Union and having a small fraction of the Soviet military force, he noted that direct diplomacy with the Soviets was a bipartisan policy for decades in spite of their threat.

"Strong countries and strong presidents talk to their adversaries," Obama said at the time. "I mean, think about it. Iran, Cuba, Venezuela _ these countries are tiny compared to the Soviet Union. They don't pose a serious threat to us the way the Soviet Union posed a threat to us. And yet we were willing to talk to the Soviet Union at the time when they were saying, 'We're going to wipe you off the planet.'"

KEY IMAGES: Photographs of Ahmadinejad and a sign that reads, "Don't forget to say death to America," the image of an industrial plant, a photo of Ahmadinejad looking at machinery, a photo of Obama that is followed by armed foreign soldiers, a terrorist and the Israeli flag before another photo of Obama. The spot ends with a photo of McCain.

YouTube - Tiny

Old 08-27-2008, 02:06 PM   #572
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
i don't see them going into eastern europe anytime soon, either... but i would not be stunned if they were to either re-escalate things in Georgia and/or perhaps go after another former soviet state.

what's the answer then? making Georgia a part of NATO?

Old 08-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #573
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

here's what Obama actually said:

Quote:
"Strong countries and strong Presidents talk to their adversaries. That's what Kennedy did with Khrushchev. That's what Reagan did with Gorbachev. That's what Nixon did with Mao. I mean, think about it: Iran, Cuba, Venezuela -- these countries are tiny compared to the Soviet Union. They don't pose a serious threat to us the way the Soviet Union posed a threat to us. And yet we were willing to talk to the Soviet Union at the time when they were saying, 'We're going to wipe you off the planet.' And ultimately, that direct engagement led to a series of measures that helped prevent nuclear war and over time allowed the kind of opening that brought down the Berlin Wall."

Republicans, please tell me, why do you tolerate the blatant lies of your candidates? do you feel any shame at all? why do you feel as if you can't win on the issues and have to resort to such outright lies astonishing distortions?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #574
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
here's what Obama actually said:

Republicans, please tell me, why do you tolerate the blatant lies of your candidates? do you feel any shame at all? why do you feel as if you can't win on the issues and have to resort to such outright lies astonishing distortions?

If McCain is actually seeing these ads and approving them, he is 1000000% unfit to be president. It's awful.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #575
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post

If McCain is actually seeing these ads and approving them, he is 1000000% unfit to be president. It's awful.
He's John McCain, and he approves this message, remember? The ghost of Karl Rove dies hard, apparently.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #576
Blue Crack Addict

Fear trumps the truth?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #577
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Fear trumps the truth?
The Republican Party is revealing their new platform this year, and that's it. I like it, very succinct.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #578
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:38 AM
It's one of the worse distortions I've seen in a campaign in a long time, and the right jackasses on radio keep repeating it and repeating it... I know a few that have called into these radio shows in order to correct them, one actually lied to the screener saying he was going to discuss something else so he actually got on air but then he got cut off once he started the quote.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #579
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
It's one of the worse distortions I've seen in a campaign in a long time, and the right jackasses on radio keep repeating it and repeating it...

one thing i want to add to my question above is that, yes, of course, this is politics, and yes, of course, Obama will run tough ads, and other groups will run tough ads.

but, really, is there any comparison at all to be made between the distortions of either party? yes, there are distortions on both sides, but the McCain campaign has given us this, they've given us the blatant lie that Obama will raise taxes on people making $42K, they gave us the Swift Boat people.

for real now.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #580
ONE
love, blood, life

Can I just ask, How in the world is McCain winning every state on AOL's straw poll? Does he have a whole team of campaign staff whose job is dedicated to voting for him in it all day, every day? For the record, I'd be saying the same thing if the situation was reversed. That has to be the most asinine polling data I've ever seen.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #581
Blue Crack Addict

ABC's Senior National Correspondent basically calls McCain a liar, saying that the ad "crosses a new line into dishonesty."

But this is the sort of man McCain has become. He flat out lied about Obama and the troops in Germany as well, and there the media finally caught him when I guess they couldn't themselves take it anymore. Is McCain a liar? If it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck...
Old 08-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #582
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
Can I just ask, How in the world is McCain winning every state on AOL's straw poll? Does he have a whole team of campaign staff whose job is dedicated to voting for him in it all day, every day? For the record, I'd be saying the same thing if the situation was reversed. That has to be the most asinine polling data I've ever seen.
Maybe that's one of the things on his web site-you can win prizes (or something similar, I'm too old to remember ) for positive posts about him on certain sites. I'm not kidding.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #583
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Maybe that's one of the things on his web site-you can win prizes (or something similar, I'm too old to remember ) for positive posts about him on certain sites. I'm not kidding.
He's giving away tokens of his childhood. dinosaur eggs, models of the first wheel, woolly mammoth fur, copies of his authentic autograph from Socrates. . I really want one of those, so I might go for it.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #584
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
Well it would be interesting to see the demographic of those that still use AOL...

Quick edit: Guilianni would have won the primary according to an AOL poll
Old 08-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #585
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Well it would be interesting to see the demographic of those that still use AOL...
I use it for AIM. I'm probably the only person that voted for Obama.