US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7 - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2008, 01:03 AM   #556
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:25 PM
I have a standard to live up to now.

And I stand by that label 150%!

Old 08-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #557
Refugee

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I have a standard to live up to now.

And I stand by that label 150%!

Well, I guess its standard you have set for yourself. Enjoy your labeling.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #558
Blue Crack Addict

If McCain truly believes this, which he said in a speech yesterday, then he's absolutely and completely delusional.

Quote:
While we have our share of critics around the world, when people in the oppressed nations of the world need support, and solidarity, and hope, they look to America. When they talk about our country, it is not with distrust or disdain, but with respect and affection. They do not resent or resist America's democratic influence in the world -- they thank God for it.
Rest of speech.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #559
Blue Crack Addict

That sounds so pompous
Old 08-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #560
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
That sounds so pompous

presumptuous. perhaps even elitist.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #561
Blue Crack Addict

It's only elitist if he said it while eating arugula, in Hawaii
Old 08-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #562
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
It's only elitist if he said it while eating arugula, in Hawaii
You forgot the latte.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #563
Blue Crack Distributor

do you think the actions taken recently by Russia will have an effect on the election?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:38 AM   #564
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
do you think the actions taken recently by Russia will have an effect on the election?
How so?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #565
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

yes, because every cough and sneeze along the massive Russian border is going to be blown up into the greatest challenge our nation has ever faced by the current Republican candidate. it's also important to note that McCain's campaign manager was a lobbyist for Georgia, and it wouldn't surprise me if winks and nods were exchanged in regards to the most recent "incident." Republicans love a sense of crisis. they are at their best when they feel under siege -- be it by Mexicans, gays, phantom WMDs, or Russians. and any actions taken by Russia that can be done as such will be spun into what was the overriding Republican message in 2004 -- "vote for us, or they'll kill you."

it also underscores, to me, just why it will be so important to have someone as calm and cool as Obama in the White House, and not someone itching for a fight and an enemy and a chance for dramatics like McCain. Russia is best dealt with not with threats and stern words. Russian cooperation is going to be absolutely critical in Iran, in the rise of China, in Pakistan, and in the securing of various "loose nukes" across the world. it might feel good to shake a fist and talk about the "Russian empire" but we have to acknowledge that, 1) this is not the Soviet Union, and 2) it's also not 1995 anymore. Russia is a regional power, Russia is an authoritarian petro-state, and Russia is going to have to be dealt with very, very carefully.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #566
Blue Crack Addict

Plus before you know it they could be over here

They thank God for it
Old 08-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #567
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
yes, because every cough and sneeze along the massive Russian border is going to be blown up into the greatest challenge our nation has ever faced by the current Republican candidate. it's also important to note that McCain's campaign manager was a lobbyist for Georgia, and it wouldn't surprise me if winks and nods were exchanged in regards to the most recent "incident." Republicans love a sense of crisis. they are at their best when they feel under siege -- be it by Mexicans, gays, phantom WMDs, or Russians. and any actions taken by Russia that can be done as such will be spun into what was the overriding Republican message in 2004 -- "vote for us, or they'll kill you."

it also underscores, to me, just why it will be so important to have someone as calm and cool as Obama in the White House, and not someone itching for a fight and an enemy and a chance for dramatics like McCain. Russia is best dealt with not with threats and stern words. Russian cooperation is going to be absolutely critical in Iran, in the rise of China, in Pakistan, and in the securing of various "loose nukes" across the world. it might feel good to shake a fist and talk about the "Russian empire" but we have to acknowledge that, 1) this is not the Soviet Union, and 2) it's also not 1995 anymore. Russia is a regional power, Russia is an authoritarian petro-state, and Russia is going to have to be dealt with very, very carefully.
Fascinating. I had no idea about the Georgia connection with McCain's campaign manager. I think your analysis is astute on every count. Russia is not a country to play cowboys and indians with. We need them as an ally, not pushed further away into isolation. Diplomacy is all that is going to work in order to forge cooperation. Military action with even the slightest hint of coercion or threat (which McCain would likely be bursting at the seams to try) could and would have consequences we're not prepared to face.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #568
Blue Crack Distributor

you don't think there's any chance of russia escalating? perhaps another former soviet state?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #569
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
you don't think there's any chance of russia escalating? perhaps another former soviet state?

i think Russia wants to swing it's big dick around. hence, today, their official recognition of South Ossetia. they want to be taken seriously, and they want to arbitrate disputes in their sphere of influence.

i think Russia rolling tanks into Eastern Europe is unlikely.

of course, should it happen, we'll have to deal with it.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #570
Blue Crack Distributor

i don't see them going into eastern europe anytime soon, either... but i would not be stunned if they were to either re-escalate things in Georgia and/or perhaps go after another former soviet state.