US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7 - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2008, 12:50 AM   #526
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:19 PM
what is the point ?

The McCains own property they bought with their own money.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #527
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:19 PM
Monday, Aug. 25, 2008
Michelle Obama's Savvy Sacrifice
By Jay Newton-Small

When she takes the stage at the Democratic National Convention Monday evening, Michelle Obama will surely discuss her husband's many achievements and the promise for America that his groundbreaking candidacy represents. What she is less likely to talk about is just how instrumental she has been to launching her husband's political trajectory, or that this tough, razor smart Chicago native had to sacrifice many of her own career ambitions along the way.

From almost the earliest days of their personal and professional partnership, Barack Obama's political aspirations have guided Michelle's path. At the end of the summer of 1989, Obama was an intern at Sidley Austin, a prestigious Chicago law firm that also happened to employ a young intellectual property lawyer and Harvard Law grad named Michelle Robinson. Obama was offered a permanent job at Sidley, though senior partner Newton Minow wasn't surprised when he turned the firm down; the two had often discussed the intern's political plans and Minow had pledged to help Obama in his pursuit of a place in public life. But Obama didn't just turn the firm down. Minow, a former Federal Communication Commission chairman, recalls that Obama told him to take a seat: "You may not want to help me after you hear the rest of what I've got to say. I'm taking Michelle with me."

"You no good, worthless —" Minnow said, jumping up angrily. "Hold it," Obama said, raising a hand. "We're going to get married."

Most women might not appreciate their boyfriend effectively giving notice on their behalf. Michelle, though, didn't seem to mind. Not only were they engaged a year later but sure enough Michelle surprised her family and friends and left the law to go into public service. It was a move that would prove fateful for both her and her husband: the contacts she made were invaluable, some say essential, to his state senate and U.S. Senate races.

The child of Marian and Fraser Robinson, a stay-at-home mother and a city pump operator, Michelle was raised in a close-knit family that ate every meal together, played Monopoly and read together. "Nobody emphasized public service. What was emphasized was doing what you love to do and you'll be good at whatever you do," says Craig Robinson, Michelle's brother, who left his banking job after a decade to coach college basketball. That didn't stop Robinson from being surprised when Michelle left Sidley Austin to become an assistant to Chicago Mayor Richard Daley. "Her father asked her: don't you want to pay your student loans?" her mother, Marian, recalls. One of her college roommates, Angela Acree, remembers being stunned. "I'm sure at Sidley she made more money than her parents ever made," says Acree. "It just seemed incredible at the time that she'd leave."

The move was not without its benefits. Michelle Obama's stint at the mayor's office gave her, and her husband, access to Chicago's political class. Combined with her own Southside roots — she went to high school with Santita Jackson, Rev. Jesse Jackson's daughter — Michelle's job gave her husband entree into the best political machine in Illinois, augmenting her ties to Jackson's powerful civil rights group, Rainbow Push.

"Michelle is a tremendous asset," says Habitat Inc. CEO Valerie Jarrett, a close friend of both Obamas and a key campaign adviser. As Daley's deputy chief of staff at the time, it was Jarrett who hired Michelle to help trouble shoot for companies having problems navigating the city's bureaucracy. "Her being from Chicago, from the Southside of Chicago, was an asset to Barack in terms of enhancing his ties to the community."

But if Michelle helped give Obama an invaluable new base in Chicago politics, he helped her get back in touch with her home base. It was at the end of her first year as an associate that she had been assigned to mentor Obama. In a now famous story, she at first refused to date him, feeling their work relationship would make a romance improper. But Obama's courtship helped her discover anew her childhood home on Chicago's Southside. Dates often took them to church basements and protests. "He could've gone to Wall Street; those offers were available to him. But instead Barack bussed these young mothers down to City Hall to help them find their voice and advocate for change," Michelle told an audience in Orangeburg, South Carolina earlier this year.

As Obama gradually moved further away from grassroots organizing and into business and politics, Michelle seemed to fill the vacuum. After 18 months, she left the Mayor's office to head up the Chicago office of a new charity that was forming: Public Allies, which helps place young people at non-profits.

"Everyone had said at the time that the best young organizer in Chicago was Barack," says Paul Schmitz, CEO of Public Allies. The group invited Obama to join their board. But when they started to look for someone to head up the Chicago office, Obama recommended his fiancee and resigned when the non-profit began to court her in earnest. "At a time when the average age of our staff was 23, she was like drafting Brett Favre for the Packers," Schmitz says. "Michelle was 29 when we hired her. She had a law degree from Harvard, had worked for the mayor, for a corporate law firm. Comparatively, I'd worked a telemarketing group. Frankly we were surprised that she wanted to do it."

During her nearly four years with the group, Michelle set fundraising marks that remain records for the organization. In the process, she developed an unparalleled network of young activists. "She was a connector. They were a power couple. They helped each other along the way," says Craig Huffman, a graduate student from the Southside whom Michelle took under her wing and recommended for the charity's board. Huffman was drawn into Obama's orbit and, like dozens of Michelle's other proteges, volunteered for Barack Obama's campaigns. "Each ally was placed with a not-for-profit, about 20-30 a year, when you think of the number of people who got to know who Michelle was, and by extension Barack, that's a whole generation from all over Chicago," Huffman says.

Michelle went on to work as an associate dean of students at the University of Chicago, launching a community service program for undergrads before moving to the university's medical school to become vice president of external relations, a fancy title for the person who helps the well-endowed school relate to its struggling Hyde Park neighborhood. She sponsored yet more volunteer programs, helped expand the hiring of local labor and launched a program that found ER patients clinics for long term care.

Eventually, the money that she had initially walked away from in corporate law did come. Her salary last year between the university and six boards approached $500,000. In addition to serving on the boards of the Chicago Council on Global Affairs and the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools, Michelle also worked for WalMart supplier Tree House Foods — a board from which she resigned when her husband criticized the retailing giant's labor practices. Asked in an interview about being the breadwinner of the family, Michelle is shocked by the notion. "Me? No! Barack had like four jobs, always," she laughs. "No really. Barack's a hustler. I shouldn't say hustler, but he's a humper in terms of work."

The division of responsibilities in the Obama household, however, hasn't always been a laughing matter. In his second book, The Audacity of Hope, Obama talked about Michelle's rage at his ever increasing absence: "My wife's anger toward me seemed barely contained. 'You only think about yourself,' she would tell me. 'I never thought I'd have to raise a family alone.'"

Michelle may have envisioned giving her children the idyllic childhood that she'd had, but she had to know that Obama was far from a city pump operator with regular hours, nor did she show any real inclination to be a stay-at-home mom. But it is her connection to traditional middle class values that drives her to still make an effort to put her children first and seemingly removes any hint of a desire to run for public office herself, though many have suggested it over the years. Her hint of nuclear-family nostalgia is also what helps make this very strong woman a much less threatening figure to the audiences who have throughout the campaign warmed to her homespun, sensitive speaking style. That down-to-earth appeal should be on full display Monday night, when she appears in her biggest venue yet. But that is only part of the real Michelle Obama. The country wouldn't get a two-for-one Bill and Hillary presidency if she were to become First Lady, but it would definitely get a lot more than many people realize.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #528
Blue Crack Addict

Once again, POW. And he brings up the military with his wife's money too

Old 08-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #529
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
what is the point ?
I think the point is, what percentage of voters own that? When John McCain is worried about foreclosure and being homeless, well then it wouldn't be an issue. How can he possibly relate to that? And there's just something pompous and dismissive about saying that you don't know how many homes you own. In a recession, even more so.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #530
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Perhaps you are one of the few Obama supporters
heh, you're way off there.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #531
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
what is the point ?

The McCains own property they bought with their own money.

excuse me.

you mean to say, "John McCain, a Prisoner of War, bought houses with his wife's money."

if Teresa Heniz Kerry was available for vilification on the basis that she was rich, and that she married Sen. Kerry, and this made Sen. Kerry an out of touch faggy french-speaking elitist who windsurfed in Nantucket Harbor, then beauty queen Cindy McCain, who was way hotter than some disfigured first wife, must be fair game as well.

now, i ain't sayin' McCain's a gold digger ...
Old 08-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #532
Blue Crack Addict

At least Cindy behaves properly
Old 08-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #533
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
At least Cindy behaves properly

it's true. Cindy, the wife of John McCain who is a former POW, doesn't say political things like THK.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #534
Blue Crack Addict

getting more attention than Mitt's helmet

politico.com

Biden's helmet
By: Avi Zenilman
August 24, 2008 10:41 PM EST

It is a fraying, combed-back helmet that barely covers a longtime fact of Washington life: The senator from Delaware has taken steps to pre-empt baldness.

The most common hypothesis is that he received a hair transplant, where follicles from the bushier back of the head are grafted onto fading spots closer to the front of the dome.

In 1987, a Washington Post reporter asked him to confirm the theory. "Guess," he responded. "I've got to keep some mystery in my life."

A quick Politico survey of stylists and hair transplant surgeons — some of whom have followed Biden’s career path for years, while others didn’t know about him until yesterday — found that there was little mystery.

“When he had darker hair it was pretty obvious, he had larger plugs,” said Dr. Michael Beehner, medical director of the Saratoga Hair Transplant Center in New York. “With the lightening of his hair, it looks much, much better now.”

“Years ago, it was much more detectable,” added a surgeon from the Midwest who refused to be identified. The pattern of Biden’s hairline, according to him, did not follow the normal path of baldness.

Until the late 1980s, according to Beehner, the only method of hair transplantation involved “plugs” that each contained 15 to 30 hairs. If executed well, they could be lined up to create a solid wall of hair. Today, it’s different — and much less visible. “They use little tiny grafts,” Beehner said. “And a typical session is 1,000 to 2,000 grafts.”

“A lot of people have touch-up work, and he may have had some,” he added.

The stylists Politico spoke to, while not enamored with Biden’s haircut, thought the work had turned out well.

“I think he should darken the hair on the top of his head,” e-mailed Christina, a stylist who generally works with celebrities. “One of the reasons being, with it being lighter than the rest of the hair it makes it appear to be thinner.”

“In my view, his haircut and style do not complement his squarish face shape,” added Sky Vega, a stylist in New York. “A forward comb with a serrated fringe would soften that.”

“I feel like it’s a minimal amount of work,” she noted. “I mean, it’s really common for a lot of guys." (The International Society of Hair Restoration surgery estimated that more than 100,000 operations were performed in 2006.)

“Transplant hair, if a good one, can be cut and styled almost exactly like your real hair,” said Christina. “It depends on the technique.”

Along with Biden, the ranks of the senatorial plugged-in included the late Wisconsin Democratic Sen. William Proxmire — who served from 1957 to 1989 — and South Carolina Republican Strom Thurmond, whose fiery orange plugs stayed in until he died in 2003 at the age of 100.

At Thurmond’s 90th birthday party, Biden found a patch of common ground. "When I came to the Senate in '72, you were 70,” he said. “And I want to tell you I resent any reference to your hair. You have been an inspiration to me in so many ways.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #535
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm so glad people are concentrating on the real issues.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #536
Blue Crack Addict

From Republican Party of Texas

Old 08-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #537
Blue Crack Addict

This song is damn catchy!

Old 08-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #538
Blue Crack Addict

I like that one. Only thing missing is a kiss
Old 08-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #539
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
From Republican Party of Texas

Old 08-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #540
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i hope no one was actually paid for producing that.

The producer was probably Rush Limbaugh

The narrator sounds about 18