US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When did he say that?

In the other thread, the 'McCain could win if he picks Palin' thread, because I posted the same thing there and that's how he responded, by asking me if I thought he was qualified BEFORE running the campaign in January 2007, and I said yes.

But I also said that he and I measure 'qualified' in very different ways.

Ah, I was scratching my head going through the posts here.

She is already governing. She has done more governing, in point of fact, than the other three Democratic or Republican Presidential or VP nominees.

She is governing Alaska, I believe it's a state in your country, and doing so pretty well by most accounts. A little outside the DC Beltway, which is possibly why you haven't heard of it.

Or maybe you're biased against women and dismiss their achievments.

all the snark aside, this totally misses the point, though i appreciate the attempt to wield empty American electoral catchphrases and pre-digested soundbytes as if one actually had the history and context to understand them.

all the snark aside, this totally misses the point, though i appreciate the attempt to wield empty American electoral catchphrases and pre-digested soundbytes as if one actually had the history and context to understand them.

You know, I've disagreed with right wing American posters here on plenty of occasions, but none of them have ever implied, as you seem to be doing, that my point of view on US politics shouldn't be taken seriously because I lacked the 'history and context' to understand it.

You know, I've disagreed with right wing American posters here on plenty of occasions, but none of them have ever implied, as you seem to be doing, that my point of view on US politics shouldn't be taken seriously because I lacked the 'history and context' to understand it.

the truth is

you made a valid point

she has executive experience

the others are only legislators

and Obama has no real accomplishments or anything to suggest he is a reformer.

Palin has much more of a track record in two years
than Obama has in 4 years

also, she went to Kuwait to visit the Alaskan National Guard.
and as Governor she is in commander in cheif of the Alaskan National Guard

Obama never went to visit the Illinois National Guard serving in Desert Shield.

It seems that when people can not give legitimate responses to opinion and statements in here they start writing about the poster or the style or some other nonsense.

I take it for what it is.

Is it a concession to the better argument?

on that post, i think you missed it.

i think Europeans tend not to understand some specifically American context, especially in regards to race.

i think many Europeans don't know nearly as much about America as they think they do.

i was referring to something specific.

It seems that when people can give legitimate responses to opinion and statements in here they start writing about the poster or the style on some other nonsense.

I take it for what it is.

A concession to the better argument.

good for you. :up:

and when others are faced with legitimate responses to opinion,

they get deliberately simplistic.

so an argument like this:

Or maybe you're biased against women and dismiss their achievments.

passes for a "legitimate response."

I admit I have some bias

do you think you have any?

i have convictions.

and i think i see the Republican party for what it is.

when it comes to FYM,

i think some of us think we are being contrarian

when they're just trying to get a rise out of others

by taking positions that are entirely contradictory to their long-held, oft-well-defended positions.

when i have comments on what's been dismissed as "style"

it's about the inability to actually have a discussion with some

who post a series of "facts" with zero analysis that bury any points of disagreement and discussion

in paragraphs that make most other posters leave the thread.

bias?

you decide.

good for you. :up:

and when others are faced with legitimate responses to opinion,

they get deliberately simplistic.

so an argument like this:

passes for a "legitimate response."

You are missing the context.

The context is - and I'm kind of surprised that I have to spell it out - that, here on FYM, conservatives are constantly being told:

- that they hate women, if they are against abortion on demand....

- that they hate gays, if they have reservations about gay marriage....

- that they hate blacks, if they are not on board with Obama.

And yet, the nomination of Sarah Palin has highlighted the latent misogyny of some on the left - and I don't necessarily just mean on this forum.

Or, maybe, just maybe, it isn't actually misogyny.

Maybe the criticisms of the family and life of Sarah Palin - how she CHOSEN to live her life - are being done just for the sake of temporary political expediency.

But, if that is the case, then frankly, it's even worse.

As Andrew Sullivan said with regard to Bush, he thought Bush probably wasn't a real homopobe, but was allying himself with homophobes for the sake of political advancement - which as Sullivan said - and I agree - is worse.

conservatives are constantly being told:

no.

this is what i think conservatives choose to hear about themselves.

i've offered myriad, nuanced, thoughtful, researched posts about Obama and race, and i've offered as much as i can to show how i believe race matters, and how it's impossible to view Obama without taking race into account.

if others choose this to mean that i believe they are racists,

i cannot be accountable for their ignorance.

Maybe the criticisms of the family and life of Sarah Palin - how she CHOSEN to live her life - are being done just for the sake of temporary political expediency.

i do not believe that any serious person

seriously believes

that Sarah Palin is *prepared* to be President of the United States.

i do not believe that any serious person

seriously believes

that Sarah Palin is *prepared* to be President of the United States.

Because clearly, they could not be serious and think she is?

I only give Obama a slight edge over her in the *prepared* area.

Because clearly, they could not be serious and think she is?

I only give Obama a slight edge over her in the *prepared* area.

we know Obama's positions

what are Palin's?

no, i don't think anyone who is serious think that she is prepared.

i think they can seriously think she is a good pick because she comes with some obvious political advantages.

Facts, is someone playing the fact card around here...

:hyper:

My goodness, I hear John McCain is actually Trig's father. :love: I mean if this pans out to be true, because it is out there on the web with so many viable sources...:hyper:

we know Obama's positions

what are Palin's?

no, i don't think anyone who is serious think that she is prepared.

i think they can seriously think she is a good pick because she comes with some obvious political advantages.

Anyone who has done their HW knows her opinions on many issues.:applaud:

And they have concluded one way or another, if she is qualified.

So what is the beef?:D

Facts, is someone playing the fact card around here...

:hyper:

My goodness, I hear John McCain is actually Trig's father. :love: I mean if this pans out to be true, because it is out there on the web with so many viable sources...:hyper:

we will see what happens with this.

as i've said, i don't think it matters.

but the McCain campaign has unfortunately made it matter.

and what's also shocking

is that, IF there is something to this,

they didn't catch this

because they didn't vet

because McCain made an impulsive decision and just went with it.

people think i'm criticizing Palin

but, really, i'm criticizing McCain.

Anyone who has done their HW knows her opinions on many issues.:applaud:

And they have concluded one way or another, if she is qualified.

So what is the beef?:D

no. as has been noted before, she is literally a blank slate on foreign policy.

literally.

no. as has been noted before, she is literally a blank slate on foreign policy.

literally.

That is probably a fair comment.

As I said before, I still hope Obama/Biden win it.

If Palin turns out to be a war mongering neocon...I hope even more that they win it.

we will see what happens with this.

as i've said, i don't think it matters.

but the McCain campaign has unfortunately made it matter.

Horseshit.....

I have seen this forum froth at the mouth when Kerry was swiftboated...

I have seen this forum point out how horribly McCain was squashed in South Carolina with a smear campaign...

And it is quite honestly...pretty fucking disgusting that this shite is spreading about this woman...and is being accepted in this forum...

But hey, its not our guy so let it happen and we will continue to play the "if" its true game so our conscience is clear and we are not dirty...

FACTS baby....hehe....

Horseshit.....

it should be very, very easy to prove that Palin is the mother, not the grandmother.

the fact that she had a baby at 44 who was born with DS was trotted out by the McCain campaign the day she was announced.

that is why this story begs any sort of verification.

this isn't swift boating. there are NO political ads on TV about this. there is no organization behind this. yet.

this is the internet, bloggers and the like, exercising their right to ask questions.

Oh, so you were not looking to have a serious discussion about her qualifications or potentially her foreign policy thoughts....

It was a potshot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom