US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7 - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #346
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:18 AM

I can't let deep down.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #347
Blue Crack Supplier

ugh, what an elitist, and celebrity, and yet utterly foreign ...

Old 08-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #348
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner, who is also campaigning for a Senate seat this year, is scheduled to deliver the keynote address at this year's Democratic National Convention.

An e-mail written by Mike Henry, an adviser to the presumed Democratic presidential nominee, Barack Obama, revealed that Warner would be given the plum speaking role on Tuesday, Aug. 26, the second night of the convention in Denver.

I've been hoping he'd get the keynote spot for months. Dat's my boss!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:32 AM   #349
Blue Crack Addict

Huffington Post Aug 13

Speaking to reporters about the situation in Georgia, Sen. John McCain denounced the aggressive posture of Russia by claiming that:"in the 21st century nations don't invade other nations."

It was the type of foreign policy rhetorical blunder that has regularly plagued the McCain campaign and could have diplomatic ripples as well. Certainly the comment was meant in innocence. But for those predisposed to the notion that the U.S. is an increasingly arrogant international actor, the suggestion by a presidential candidate that, in this day and age, countries don't invade one another -- when the U.S. is occupying two foreign nations -- does little to alleviate that negative perception.

There is another, less controversial undertone to McCain's remark. Since the Georgia-Russia hostilities have commenced, parallels have been drawn to U.S. intervention in Iraq. The two scenarios are highly different in all intents and purposes, both due to regional significance and the longstanding territorial disputes. But some still would dispute the idea, as McCain seemed to imply, that America's involvement in Iraq is any less an invasion than Russia's involvement in Georgia.

Later in his press conference, McCain was asked to address how the Georgian crisis -- which has ceded to a tenuous ceasefire -- was amplified on the campaign trail. The presumptive Republican nominee demurred from attempts to get him to engage with Barack Obama.

"This isn't a time for partisanship and sniping between campaigns," he said. "This is about hundreds of thousand of individuals whose lives are being taken... Maybe later on in the campaign let's have a back and forth about whose comments and statements... but now lets devote all our efforts to resolving a situation that is fraught with tragedy."

A subsequent questioner asked McCain whether this non-partisan window applied to Sen. Joseph Lieberman as well, who, at a townhall on Tuesday, suggested that Barack Obama had not always "put his country first." McCain's answer was classically evasive.

"Let me respond by just saying that I think that whatever we think at the moment that we can all reserve that for a future time. And I think that judgments will be made about how we handled this situation and approached the situation in Iraq and how much experience knowledge and background means in selecting who should be the next commander in chief, all I can say is there will be plenty of time for that and we can move forward. "
Old 08-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #350
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Huffington Post Aug 13
Speaking to reporters about the situation in Georgia, Sen. John McCain denounced the aggressive posture of Russia by claiming that:"in the 21st century nations don't invade other nations."

Old 08-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #351
Blue Crack Addict

How the hell did he say that with a straight face?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #352
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
How the hell did he say that with a straight face?

often times in DC, you'll run across a seeming subculture of semi-homeless african-american men who are ready with an incredibly compelling and kind of crazy conspiracy theory rants. they'll stand on park benches, stand up in the metro, walk down the street, and they'll shout out their lectures about why the world is how it is and it's always entertaining to listen to. subjects vary widely, from the dropping of the atomic bomb to why handguns are legal to "the Plan" in DC to kick out all the minorities.

yesterday, on the metro, i was treated to one of these. the guy was saying that, no matter what happened, there wouldn't be a war in the Caucuses because white people don't start wars with other white people. in Iraq, they were brown, and so it doesn't count. but white people aren't stupid enough to kill other white people and, "that's where they came from, the Caucus Mountains."

after reading McCain's quote, perhaps this gentleman was on to something?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #353
Refugee

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Source: Powell has not decided on presidential endorsement

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Colin Powell's office denied a report on Fox by commentator Bill Kristol Wednesday that the retired general had decided to publicly back Sen. Barack Obama at the Democratic National Convention.

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell says he won't attend the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

Several sources said the former Secretary of State has not made a decision about a possible endorsement.

"As always, he is holding his cards close and waiting for more information," one adviser told CNN's John King.

Powell himself brushed off queries on any potential presidential nod but told ABC News on Wednesday afternoon that he would not be going to Denver, Colorado, for the convention.

"I do not have time to waste on Bill Kristol's musings," he said. "I am not going to the convention. I have made this clear."

In February, Powell told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that he was weighing an endorsement of a Democratic or independent candidate.

"I am keeping my options open at the moment," Powell said.

"I have voted for members of both parties in the course of my adult life. And as I said earlier, I will vote for the candidate I think can do the best job for America, whether that candidate is a Republican, a Democrat or an independent," he added.

Powell also offered praise for Obama, who is seeking the Democratic presidential nomination, calling him an "exciting person on the political stage."

"He has energized a lot of people in America," said Powell, who briefly weighed his own run for the White House in the mid-1990s. "He has energized a lot of people around the world. And so I think he is worth listening to and seeing what he stands for."

On Wednesday, Powell's adviser said that "he likes and admires John McCain, and that would be a factor in anything he does if he decides to get more involved."

Another source close to Powell, who, like McCain, served in the military, said he has known the presumptive Republican nominee for more than three decades "and likes him and is looking for a reason to vote for him. He hasn't found it yet."

The former general, who has largely steered clear of politics since leaving the Bush administration in 2004, noted that the next president will need to work to restore America's standing in the world.

"I will ultimately vote for the person I believe brings to the American people the kind of vision the American people want to see for the next four years," he said. "A vision that reaches out to the rest of the world, that starts to restore confidence in America, that starts to restore favorable ratings to America. Frankly, we've lost a lot in recent years."

On Wednesday, Powell's adviser said the vice presidential picks for both candidates would be a major factor in his decision, both for the quality of each man's running mate and for what sort of "signal that choice sends about the character and judgment of the candidate."

He also said that a Powell decision to back Obama would not be a surprise but that a decision to attend the Democratic convention would be.

Would this not be a huge steal? I would have to think it would be the bigget endorsement of the entire campaign.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #354
Blue Crack Addict

Bill Kristol is 100% douchebag.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #355
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Bill Kristol is 100% douchebag.

he's working the press. trying to go for a headline that says, "POWELL REFUSES TO ENDORSE OBAMA."

because the press is so pro-Obama, of course.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #356
Blue Crack Addict

From CBS News' Ryan Corsaro:

(WATERFORD, MICH.) - The press got a peek today at the newest book written by a member of the McCain campaign – his daughter, Meghan.

The illustrated book, entitled “My Dad, John McCain” and printed by Simon and Schuster (a division of CBS Corp.), is a biography of the senator’s life told from the perspective of Meghan, who is in her twenties and blogs online about her father’s campaign.

The book begins with Meghan writing, “There are a few things you need to know about my dad, and one is that he would be a great president.”

Describing McCain’s teenage years at a boarding school, Meghan says, “He broke a lot of rules, but he liked football and wrestling. He wasn’t the biggest or the strongest guy on the football team—but he was one of the toughest. He just wouldn’t give up.”

There are illustrations of the McCain’s capture as a prisoner of war and stumping on the campaign trail, drawn by artist Dan Andreasan, who also did the illustrations for the childrens’ books “Pilot Pups” and “A Special Day For Mommy”.

There is also a page on McCain’s failed attempt at president in 2000 which is only a few sentences long. When McCain announced his recent bid for the presidency in 2007, his daughter writes that first, “Things didn’t look very good,” but insisted that again, he father “would not give up.”

The book will hit store shelves on September 2.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #357
Blue Crack Addict

Former national security adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski tells the Huffington Post that he "expects" Gen. Colin Powell to endorse Barack Obama for president.

Late Wednesday afternoon, the political world skipped a heartbeat when Fox pundit and eminent neoconservative Bill Kristol predicted that former Gen. Colin Powell would endorse Barack Obama, and even potentially speak at the Democratic National Convention.

In response to an emailed question, Brzezinski agreed with Kristol about the endorsement, writing simply: "I sort of expect he [Powell] will."

Though he worked for President Carter, Brzezinski keeps close relations with the "realist" camp of Republican foreign policy heavyweights like Bush 41 adviser Brent Scowcroft, who also worked with Powell. The Huffington Post reported earlier that Scowcroft has decided to stay neutral in the presidential race instead of taking the more expected route and explicitly backing McCain.

UPDATE: A spokeswoman for Powell denies strongly that he will be at either convention, though seems to have stopped short of closing the door entirely on an Obama endorsement.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #358
Blue Crack Addict

The media (aka McCain's base) is slowly turning on him. I am really glad that Joe Klein of Time is calling McCain out. Regardless of the fact I disagreed with McCain always on about 95%+ of issues, at least I didn't think that he lacked character. I no longer believe he is a man of character or a man of principles. And now people are starting to notice.

Quote:
But there is no excuse for what the McCain campaign is doing on the "putting America first" front. There is no way to balance it, or explain it other than as evidence of a severe character defect on the part of the candidate who allows it to be used. There is a straight up argument to be had in this election: Mcain has a vastly different view from Obama about foreign policy, taxation, health care, government action...you name it. He has lots of experience; it is always shocking to remember that this time four years ago, Barack Obama was still in the Illinois State Legislature. Apparently, though, McCain isn't confident that conservative policies and personal experience can win, given the ruinous state of the nation after eight years of Bush. So he has made a fateful decision: he has personally impugned Obama's patriotism and allows his surrogates to continue to do that. By doing so, he has allied himself with those who smeared him, his wife, his daughter Bridget, in 2000. Those tactics won George Bush a primary--and a nomination. But they proved a form of slow-acting spiritual poison, rotting the core of the Bush presidency. We'll see if the public decides to acquiesce in sleaze in 2008, and what sort of presidency--what sort of country--that will produce.
The rest is here.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #359
Blue Crack Addict

I am sure that all those posters here who felt that Obama was arrogant and out of line for giving a speech in Germany will now be doubly outraged:

Quote:
At a press conference just now, John McCain redoubled his efforts to thrust himself into a leadership role on the Russia-Georgia crisis front, announcing that two top campaign surrogates, Joe Lieberman and Lindsey Graham, are going on a visit to Georgia.
But hey, Obama has a quasi-presidential seal, surely THAT is more presumptuous than this!!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #360
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:18 AM
On an entirely superficial note, looking at those photos of Obama on the beach made me realize I'm wearing the same cargo shorts right now he was. Shopping at Target? What an elitist jerk!