US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
And you say Obama is out of touch? You can't possibly be this naive.
Can I have some prominent Republicans who have called Obama a muslim? Obama himself is the only candidate doing it, saying how conservatives are going to "make you afraid of his name." That's shameful.

Quote:
So if no one ever compared McCain to Bush, McCain would have a demanding lead?
Not necessarily. But the constant Bush-McCain references are low, and I don't think the intelligent voters will fall for it given the numerous differences between the two. If that's the best that the Dems can do, they might be in trouble.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:50 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
but by no means will there be Obama calendars with his misspeakings on them.
So sure? I've got about a month's worth already...

Old 07-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Can I have some prominent Republicans who have called Obama a muslim? Obama himself is the only candidate doing it, saying how conservatives are going to "make you afraid of his name." That's shameful.
Like I've said to you before, no one, I repeat NO ONE has ever said any prominent Republicans are saying this, but plenty within your party are. Do you see the difference?

Quote:
Not necessarily. But the constant Bush-McCain references are low, and I don't think the intelligent voters will fall for it given the numerous differences between the two. If that's the best that the Dems can do, they might be in trouble.
The best the Dems can do? Have you been paying attention to the race at all?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don't think the intelligent voters will fall for it
As a side note, this is hilarious.

Because we all know that it is the "intelligent" voters that decide elections. Like the ones who would like to have beers with the president.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
So sure? I've got about a month's worth already...
You should start a thread or something, you keep talking about all this misspeaking, how he can't put two words together, how it's obvious to everyone he needs a teleprompter, etc etc

Yet with the exception of the one A_Wanderer posted I haven't seen shit to back this up...

I mean apparently you have all these examples.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
ABC News has learned that two former administration officials for President George W. Bush will appear with Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, at an economic meeting today, having signed up to be Obama economic advisers.

Bush administration veterans former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill and former Securities and Exchange Commissioner William Donaldson will join former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker, and more traditionally Democratic economic advisers such as former Clinton Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin, billionaire liberal Warren Buffett, AFL-CIO President John Sweeney, and SEIU Secretary-Treasurer Anna Burger.
Finally Paul O'Neill gets his chance to stick it to Bush et al.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
As a side note, this is hilarious.

Because we all know that it is the "intelligent" voters that decide elections. Like the ones who would like to have beers with the president.

INDY will be here shortly to tell you how elitist you are...
Old 07-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I'm running for president of the United States, because I want to help with family values. And I think that family values are important, when we have two parent -- families that are of parents that are the traditional family.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But there are several hundred thousand children in the country who don't have a home. And if a gay couple wants to adopt them, what's wrong with that?

MCCAIN: I am for the values that two parent families, the traditional family represents.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So, you're against gay adoption.

MCCAIN: I am for the values and principles that two parent families represent.
Gays, lesbians, and single people - you're out of luck.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Who? If you want to make this claim, then back it up. I really can't recall anyone saying he'll win in a landslide, much less multiple people.

Irvine has used the word Tsunami to describe his "victory" in November.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Just so everyone is clear on Obama's "cancelled" troop visit with the cameras:

Quote:
NBC’s Andrea Mitchell reports that there was never a plan for Obama to take the press to Landstuhl, despite the claim by McCain folks and others. The plan was to go with his military aide, retired General Scott Gration. The Pentagon said Gration was off-limits because he had joined the campaign -- violating rules that it not be a political stop.

Obama had gone to see wounded troops in Iraq earlier in the week, without even confirming he'd been there. No press, no pictures. He has done the same when he goes to Walter Reed -- never any press.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
You should start a thread or something, you keep talking about all this misspeaking, how he can't put two words together, how it's obvious to everyone he needs a teleprompter, etc etc

Yet with the exception of the one A_Wanderer posted I haven't seen shit to back this up...
""I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go."

"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

"In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died -- an entire town destroyed."

"But she is a typical white person..."

“They’re going to try to make you afraid. They’re going to try to make you afraid of me. ‘He’s young and inexperienced and he’s got a funny name. And did I mention he’s black?’"

"We passed out of the U.S. Senate Banking Committee, which is my committee."

"...and have seen over 3,000 lives of the bravest young Americans wasted.”

“I had a uncle who was one of the, who was part of the first American troops to go into Auschwitz and liberate the concentration camps"

"There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Ala., because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born."

"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today"

"You can call my hotline, which is 1-888-NC-Early... E-A-R-E...uhh... E-A-R-L-Y."

"Iran doesn't pose a serious threat to us."

Plus the neverending "uhhh" in his talking, the clip posted a few pages back, him thinking that Canada has a president, etc etc...

Do gaffes like this from either candidate influence my decision? Not at all. But for everyone making fun of how Bush talks, I'd say Obama has proven himself roughly on par with the President. I don't see a ton of "eloquent speaking" from him. At the same time, I could name a handful of pretty awesome impressive speeches the President has given.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Regardless, my original point remains. Anyone who, as of right now, believes Obama will win huge needs to get some fresh air.

i believe Obama could win huge.

it's entirely conceivable, since he's leading in states that Kerry didn't win: OH, VA, CO, NM, and he's turned other states like NV and even NC and MT into competitive races.

but, no, no one actually knows what's going to happen. let's see what's going on in October.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm not sure you understand what we're talking about.

Quote:
“They’re going to try to make you afraid. They’re going to try to make you afraid of me. ‘He’s young and inexperienced and he’s got a funny name. And did I mention he’s black?’"
This isn't a misspeak. This is true, there are many who are doing this. Many of those aren't misspeaks, especially in the context of Bush or what the rest of us have been talking about.

Some of these are missing context. Some of these are just lines you don't like.

And then a few are dumb misspeaks, but nothing compared to Bush...

But this has nothing to do with your statement that he can't even put two words together.

Maybe one of those would make a calender.

But at the end of the day, this is just your bias forcing you to make weak attacks.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

It's flip flop weather!

Quote:
ABC News' Teddy Davis and Kevin Kilbane Report: During a "This Week" interview with ABC News' George Stephanopoulos John McCain reversed himself on affirmative action and endorsed for the first time a proposed state ballot measure which would end race and gender-based affirmative action in his home state of Arizona.

"I support it," McCain declared when asked about the referendum. "I do not believe in quotas... I have not seen the details of some of these proposals. But I’ve always opposed quotas."

McCain has long opposed quotas but his new support for ending affirmative action programs which stop short of quotas puts him at odds not only with Democratic rival Barack Obama but also with the Arizona senator's own views in 1998.
Quote:
When asked if that includes a possible hike in the payroll tax, McCain reiterated that nothing -- including such a tax hike -- is "off the table."

"I don't want tax increases. Of course, I'd like to have young Americans have some of their money put into an account with their name on it," McCain said.

However, in a February interview with Stephanopoulos, which also aired on "This Week," McCain made a pledge not to raise taxes as president. When Stephanopoulos asked, "Are you a 'read my lips' candidate, no new taxes, no matter what?" McCain responded affirmatively: "No new taxes."
Don't get me wrong, I hate the idiotic "flip flop" phrase, but hey the Republicans came up with it and embraced it so wholeheartedly, so if the shoe fits...
Old 07-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Plus the neverending "uhhh" in his talking, the clip posted a few pages back, him thinking that Canada has a president, etc etc...

seriously, what the fuck?

this is so, so weak. all the candidates commit gaffes. Bush is in another category altogether, do you want me to toss out a series of McCain verbal fuck-ups? just starting with the Iraq/Pakistani border?

or is this just a fundamentally STUPID way of judging candidates and is little more than tit-for-tat and pulling out quotes from people who spend A LOT of time speaking in public about a vast array of topics?