US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7 - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Bad news for Democrats... Jerome Corsi's "Obama Nation" is the number one book in the country, and a handful of other anti-Obama books are selling very, very well
Is Rush telling his listeners to buy them?

I don't know why Nancy Pelosi's book isn't selling, other than the fact that it's allegedly not very good. I'm sure there must be plenty of books by politicians on both sides of the aisle that don't sell well. At least some of them aren't politically motivated hatchet jobs.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200808040005

Old 08-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #272
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:10 PM
Quote:
Bad news for Democrats... Jerome Corsi's "Obama Nation" is the number one book in the country, and a handful of other anti-Obama books are selling very, very well.
And I thought the right wasn't going to attack his race or attach him to the Muslim faith...

Oh well, next time you ask "who's making these accusations" you'll know the answer.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #273
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Obama didn't want to do town halls so McCain had to go and lie about him not visiting the soldiers, and put out ridiculous ads.
David S. Broder - A Way Back to the High Road? - washingtonpost.com

I asked Obama if he had any regrets about turning down McCain's early June invitation to start the joint appearances back then. He said, "I think the notion that somehow as a consequence of not having joint appearances, Senator McCain felt obliged to suggest that I'd rather lose a war to win a campaign doesn't automatically follow".

Old 08-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #274
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:10 AM
Ah, the same guy who wrote the Swift Boat book! Back when that was selling like hotcakes, Barnes & Noble, Borders, and Books-A-Million all had to demand that Regnery (the publisher) prepare an official open letter for them to post for customers in each and every store explaining, "Yes our stocks have run out, Yes we're reprinting, No it's not your bookseller's fault they're out so please don't blame them," because hundreds of managers in all three chains were complaining about constantly being harassed by fit-pitching nutjobs who accused them of deliberately not keeping the book on hand, since everyone knows booksellers are all commie libruls desperately seeking to block any criticism of Kerry. (I remember that my former assistant manager back from when I managed a store for one of those chains, who was by then the manager, was very suspicious that these belligerent types were being fed a "script" from somewhere, because so many of them delivered almost identical tirades...maybe Rush was behind that too?) Anyhow, what was really funny was that then last year, Corsi (the author of these books) and several other Regnery authors left Regnery in a huff and sued them for fraud, asserting that Regnery had defrauded them by intentionally diverting sales from mainstream book retailers to Regnery's own subsidiaries, like the Conservative Book Club (which let Regnery keep authors' royalties low, while at the same time driving up sales figures in the form of huge bulk orders from wealthy conservatives who then distributed the books for free as a "public service"). The authors didn't win their suit, almost certainly because of Regnery's deep pockets rather than on the merits of it, but their claims didn't surprise anyone in the retail bookselling world.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 08-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #275
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Maybe he has people doing that here..

On McCain's Web site, visitors are invited to "Spread the Word" about the presumptive Republican nominee by sending campaign-supplied comments to blogs and Web sites under the visitor's screen name. The site offers sample comments ("John McCain has a comprehensive economic plan . . .") and a list of dozens of suggested destinations, conveniently broken down into "conservative," "liberal," "moderate" and "other" categories. Just cut and paste.

Activists and political operatives have used volunteers or paid staff to seed radio call-in shows or letters-to-the-editor pages for years, typically without disclosing the caller or letter writer's connection to a candidate or cause. Like the fake grass for which the practice is named, such AstroTurf messages look as though they come from the grass roots but are ersatz.
I'm not going to name any names, but I have long entertained a half-serious suspicion that something like that is going on here at FYM.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #276
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Bad news for Democrats... Jerome Corsi's "Obama Nation" is the number one book in the country, and a handful of other anti-Obama books are selling very, very well. Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi's book hasn't sold 3,000 copies yet.
One of the things I find particularly distasteful about many on the Right is their gleeful willingness to do and say anything to win, particularly because they claim to be the side of the politicial discussion that represents values and the moral high road. This kind of gleeful celebration of the destruction of someones character seems at odds with the values (Christian and whatnot) you're supposed to be all about. It just seems odd to me that at least on this forum--cynicism seems to be the watchword the further right you go.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #277
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 08-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #278
Forum Moderator

Quote:
ABC News, August 7

Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, waded into the ugly politics being waged in today's Tennessee’s 9th Congressional District's Democratic primary. “These incendiary and personal attacks have no place in our politics," Obama said in a statement, "and will do nothing to help the good people of Tennessee. It’s time to turn the page on a politics driven by negativity and division so that we can come together to lift up our communities and our country." Interestingly, Obama was referring to attacks being waged against the white incumbent, Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., by an African-American challenger, corporate attorney Nikki Tinker.

Tinker has been accused of playing some of the more ugly racial politics of the campaign season. She put the image of a Klansman standing before a burning cross in a TV ad to drive home the point that Cohen, as a member of the downtown development board in 2005, opposed renaming a park that is named for Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest, a founder of the Ku Klux Klan. But what aroused the condemnation of Sen. Obama is Tinker's new TV ad that not-so-subtly points out that Cohen is Jewish. The ad states that Cohen has voted against allowing children to pray in schools "while he's in OUR churches slapping hands and tapping his feet."

The ad comes on the heels of an anti-Semitic flier being distributed by a local black minister asking “Why do Steve Cohen and the Jews Hate Jesus?” The Memphis Commercial Appeal editorial board questioned why Tinker wouldn't condemn the flier.

Cohen won election in 2006 to the former congressional seat of Rep. Harold Ford, Jr., D-Tenn., which is 60% African-American.
ETA (4 hours later) -- Cohen won the primary with 80% of the vote.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 08-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #279
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
One of the things I find particularly distasteful about many on the Right is their gleeful willingness to do and say anything to win, particularly because they claim to be the side of the politicial discussion that represents values and the moral high road. This kind of gleeful celebration of the destruction of someones character seems at odds with the values (Christian and whatnot) you're supposed to be all about. It just seems odd to me that at least on this forum--cynicism seems to be the watchword the further right you go.
Would you view yourself as unbiased?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #280
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
stop with your policy stuff and your what's-good-for-the-country nonsense.

what matters is the race card! who's playing it? when? where? who played it first? who said the other was playing it? did that mean that he just played it when he accused the other of playing it? did he just provoke one to say that the other one was provoking him to play the race card?

i mean, this is what matters, people.

because we live in a colorblind society, and white people have a god given right to not have race thrown in their face and to feel totally comfortable that their racial prejudices and discomfort are totally not racist.

Oddly enough, on this forum it's your side that keeping bringing the race issue into it.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #281
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
That post had nothing to do with being unbiased.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #282
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Oddly enough, on this forum it's your side that keeping bringing the race issue into it.
Be careful with that statement. I just showed last week that there were conservatives bringing in race over a year ago...
Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #283
ONE
love, blood, life

Anyone who thinks that this country has completely moved beyond race being an issue nhas blinders.

The left and the right use race to achieve their means.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:04 AM   #284
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Only a fool claims to be completely unbiased. I try to be unbiased. It's up to you to judge how successful (or not) I am in that regard.

But I don't think that my perception in that post was clouded by bias. If you'd like to show me a similar post by a left-leaning person gleefully celebrating the destruction of John McCain's character, I'll be happy to condemn that as well.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:05 AM   #285
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
Anyone who thinks that this country has completely moved beyond race being an issue nhas blinders.

The left and the right use race to achieve their means.
True that.