US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7 - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #241
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:32 PM
this is the best thing Paris Hilton has ever done. not that it's a long and distinguished list, but, hey, at least it's something:

YouTube - Paris Hilton responds to Old Man McCain

Old 08-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #242
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:32 AM
The McCain camp thinks it was clever to use to Paris Hilton as a comparison for Obama, but instead it backfired.
Way to go! (sarcasm)

Old 08-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #243
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Up From Chicago
When Camp McCain says he's arrogant, they're playing to those who think he's another black man who doesn't know his place.
TheRoot.com
Updated: 5:04 PM ET Aug 4, 2008

Uppity: adjective, informal—snobbish, arrogant or presumptuous

Collins Essential English Dictionary, 2nd Edition

Aug. 5, 2008--"Uppity" used to be the preferred term for Negroes who didn't know their place. There was a time when it was regularly applied to any number of black men and women who strived to be more than day laborers, nannies or sharecroppers.

The GOP, ever aware of the connotative power of words, has steered clear of the direct usage of that loaded term. When they speak of Barack Obama—a man in pursuit of the most lofty of prizes—they simply use the words that define the term. Snobbish. Arrogant. Presumptuous.

Obama's opponent, sensing an opening, launched a campaign ad last week, in which the underlying theme, "look at the uppity black man," will no doubt resonate with a certain segment of the audience. McCain's ad interspersed photos of Britney Spears and Paris Hilton—two icons of vapidity—with a smug-looking Obama surrounded by throngs of adoring white people (liberal Europeans).

Conservative Washington Post columnist Charles Krauthammer summed up the sentiment that provided the basis for the McCain ad in a July 18 piece titled "The Audacity of Vanity," in which he criticized Obama for speaking at the Bradenburg Gate and ridiculed him as "a man of profoundly limited achievement." He went on to suggest: "For the first few months of the campaign, the question about Obama was: Who is he? The question now is: Who does he think he is? We are getting to know. Redeemer of our uninvolved, uninformed lives. Lord of the seas. And more. As he said on victory night, his rise marks the moment when 'our planet began to heal.' As I recall—I'm no expert on this—Jesus practiced his healing just on the sick. Obama operates on a larger canvas."

Suddenly, after eight years of George W. Bush, humility and achievement matter. Snobbish. Arrogant. Presumptuous.

For now, the greater public doesn't appear to be buying it. In the latest national CNN poll, about the same percentage—one third—of respondents believed both Obama and McCain were arrogant.

The fact that the mainstream media has embraced the uppity-Obama storyline is further evidence of the right's ability to advance whatever preposterous storyline it chooses, despite its persistent whining about the liberal media.

Republicans have long been able to win races by doing a better job of negatively defining their opponents with coordinated media attacks. What the right does particularly well is not just framing the arguments but coordinating the response to the fallout.

When Obama suggested that McCain was attempting to make him seem different and scary, McCain and his supporters wailed that Obama was "playing the race card."

That term, of course, has become the de facto line of defense for whites who want to immediately end any uncomfortable conversations about race. "Are you calling me a racist? You're calling me a racist!"

Interestingly, calling someone a racist has become a worse offense than actually being one. And thus the media will allow McCain and his defenders to have it both ways—play to racial sensitivities and express mock horror than anyone would have the audacity to question their motives.

But, just so we're clear, this is not an argument that McCain is a racist. One of the most fascinating political speeches I personally witnessed came April 18, 2000, when McCain returned to South Carolina to apologize for his failure to denounce the Confederate flag during his primary battle with George W. Bush months earlier.

Standing before the conservative South Carolina Policy Council think tank, McCain said, "I should have done this earlier when an honest answer could have affected me personally. I did not do so for one reason alone. I feared that if I answered honestly, I could not win the South Carolina primary. So I chose to compromise my principles. I broke my promise to always tell the truth."

I will never forget the looks of simmering rage on the faces of the nearly all-white crowd when he told them that his ancestors had fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War, and then added, "They fought on the wrong side of American history. That, my friends, is how I personally feel about the Confederate battle flag."

It goes without saying that it would have been more courageous had he denounced the flag during the primary battle. Nonetheless, one could sense his failure to do so had weighed heavily upon his conscience. He didn't have to return to give that speech. But he did. A racist would not have done so.

Forward to the present: By feigning indignation and accusing Obama of "playing the race card," McCain returns to the politics of expediency. No, McCain didn't run that ad because he doesn't like black people. No one really believes that anyway. So the "race card" retort is just a straw-man, debating tactic—that is, misrepresenting an opponent's argument and then shooting that argument down.

McCain ran the ad because he knows there are a lot of white people who are inclined to believe the worst in a black politician. (Ask any reporter who's been on the campaign trail what many blue-collar white voters in places like Pennsylvania, Florida and Ohio are saying about Obama.) That's political expediency. Not racism.

McCain employs highly skilled media people. They know exactly the kind of reaction his ad would evoke from a certain segment of the electorate. Maureen Dowd said it well in her Sunday column this week, pointing out that in a recent New York Times poll that only 31 percent of white voters said they had a favorable opinion of Obama compared to 83 percent of blacks who did. She drew the conclusion that "the prejudice is visceral: Many Americans, especially blue collar, still feel uneasy about the Senate's exotic shooting star."

Republican accusations of elitism against Democrats are nothing new (the John Kerry wind-surfing hullabaloo being the latest example in a presidential election). But they will take on added resonance this year against Obama, a candidate whom many voters will be already inclined to dislike.

Snobbish. Arrogant. Presumptuous.

Is he? Probably, yes. Then again, what politician isn't a little bit of all three? It takes a special kind of gall to suggest that you should be the leader of the free world. John McCain, who has run for president twice, should know that as well as anyone.

from theroot.com
Old 08-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #244
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
The McCain camp thinks it was clever to use to Paris Hilton as a comparison for Obama, but instead it backfired.
Way to go! (sarcasm)
Uhh... it seemed to have worked. McCain has gone up, Obama has gone down, and it has a handful of people in this forum awfully upset for an ad that is supposedly dumb and ineffective.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #245
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Uhh... it seemed to have worked. McCain has gone up, Obama has gone down, and it has a handful of people in this forum awfully upset for an ad that is supposedly dumb and ineffective.

no, people thought it was dumb and effective. i do think it will harm him in the long run, imho.

and McCain's numbers are drifting back down.

but, as i've said before and will say again, daily tracking polls aren't terribly useful right now.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #246
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:32 AM
Quote:
Snobbish. Arrogant. Presumptuous.

Is he? Probably, yes. Then again, what politician isn't a little bit of all three? It takes a special kind of gall to suggest that you should be the leader of the free world. John McCain, who has run for president twice, should know that as well as anyone.
This is what always cracks me up when I hear people disdainfully gripe that a presidential candidate, any presidential candidate, seems "arrogant." Well of COURSE they're arrogant--just in order to campaign, they have to spend nine months continuously marketing and packaging themselves like a product, smiling and clapping through endless brass band flourishes and fawning introductions from whichever soon-to-be-forgotten local official is introducing you tonight, grandiosely holding forth about how I And Only I have a plan that will fix all our country's woes...you need a titanic ego to get through all that and still be able to look at yourself in the mirror in the morning. (That, or the sense of entitlement afforded by dynasty.)

On a less cynical note, I think it's also often the case that African-Americans (women, too) who are successful leaders in business, politics and the like tend as individuals to display more reserve, guardedness, and at times formality to the point of aloofness--all to a degree that white men in comparable positions are less likely to display, simply because they haven't had to constantly and rigorously cross-examine every last facet of their self-presentation to make sure they're not showing any "bad" behaviors stereotypically associated with their race or gender, qualities that might call their fitness to lead into question. It's a balancing act, and you can easily slide overboard into seeming distant, stiff, disingenuous and, yes, "snobbish" if you're not careful. Obviously there's much more to effective leadership than that, and plain old underlying personality plays a role in it too, but I think this may also be a factor.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 08-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #247
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
On a less cynical note, I think it's also often the case that African-Americans (women, too) who are successful leaders in business, politics and the like tend as individuals to display more reserve, guardedness, and at times formality to the point of aloofness--all to a degree that white men in comparable positions are less likely to display, simply because they haven't had to constantly and rigorously cross-examine every last facet of their self-presentation to make sure they're not showing any "bad" behaviors stereotypically associated with their race or gender, qualities that might call their fitness to lead into question. It's a balancing act, and you can easily slide overboard into seeming distant, stiff, disingenuous and, yes, "snobbish" if you're not careful. Obviously there's much more to effective leadership than that, and plain old underlying personality plays a role in it too, but I think this may also be a factor.
This is so true.

In the corporate world, I have never observed a very corner-office woman and a corner-office man behave in the same way in public. EVER.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #248
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:32 PM
When Paris Hilton says she's for "offshore drilling" I hope she realizes that isn't a euphemism for sex on a yacht?

"White hair dude." Like all those other presidents on the dollar bills.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #249
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Quote:

Sen. Hillary Clinton told a gathering of supporters last week that she's looking for a "strategy" for
her delegates to have their voices heard and "respected" at the Democratic National Convention --
and did not rule out the possibility of having her name placed into nomination
at the convention alongside Sen. Barack Obama's.
This could be interesting.

Good thing mile high stadium is not enclosed
room enough for two oversized egos.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #250
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Is she trying to guarantee that the Democrats lose the election?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #251
Blue Crack Addict

I think it is common that the delegates take the first round to vote for their candidate,
that is the one they were selected to represent at the convention.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
it's all subliminal. it's highly calculated, and intentionally subliminal.

lots of thought goes into these things.
I have no doubt that plenty of thought goes into these things, in spite of Howard Kurtz writing that this ad was done on the cheap.

But I don't see the residual purpose for them to make it racially suggestive when all they really wanted was for people to talk about the celebrities involved, to further the charicature, to continue to paint Obama.

That's my reasoning. You can tell the intentions by the effects, precisely because they are so well thought out. Or something like that.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #253
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
this is the best thing Paris Hilton has ever done. not that it's a long and distinguished list, but, hey, at least it's something:

YouTube - Paris Hilton responds to Old Man McCain
Video no longer available.

Here's a different link:

Paris Hilton Responds to McCain Ad from Paris Hilton, Adam "Ghost Panther" McKay, and Chris Henchy

It's actually good.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #254
Blue Crack Distributor

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm laughing with Paris Hilton and not at her.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #255
Blue Crack Addict

McCain says U.S. needs 'economic surge'

Simple? yes

Clever? could be. Perhaps McCain should just keep saying this for awhile.

In the primaries, change. Was a mantra that seemed to work well for one candidate.