US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7 - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #166
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:40 AM
McCain has just dropped his 4th negative ad in a row. is he going to have anything left to talk about come Sept/Oct?

it's disheartening. i had high hopes for this campaign. but McCain has made the decision that the only way he can beat Obama is to try to characterize him as a terrorist-friendly, unpatriotic version of Kanye (who so upsets the white folks with his "arrogance.")

Old 08-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #167
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:40 AM
More like -- characterize him as a 47 year old politician who's only real accomplishment in public life has been to build a campaign of mass hysteria and a cult of personality around himself.

But, apparently pointing this out is "going negative."

Old 08-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #168
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I think anytime you don't speak of policy or issues, then it's personal, therefore negative. Not to mention completely lazy...
Old 08-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #169
War Child

About Obama and Offshore Drilling...

Obama is showing exactly what he has campaigned on...that he is open to make compromises and work with others (such as, GASP! Republicans) to help the American People. What Obama said:

"My interest is in making sure we've got the kind of comprehensive energy policy that can bring down gas prices," Obama said in an interview with The Palm Beach Post.

"If, in order to get that passed, we have to compromise in terms of a careful, well thought-out drilling strategy that was carefully circumscribed to avoid significant environmental damage — I don't want to be so rigid that we can't get something done."

I'd rather have someone who has some flexibility than someone who sticks to their guns at the expense of the American People.

This is what Obama and his campaign all about, ending the gridlock in Wasington that gets NOTHING accomplised for the American people.

Am I happy that he's entertaining this idea? No, but I do take solace in the parts I bolded...especially avoiding significant environmental damage. He doesn't want to be so rigid that we can't make progress.

That's what his campaign is really all about, changing the politics in Washington so that we can progress and get things done. Something partisans and politicans who will not back down on their positions have been unable to do.

Should Obama stick to his guns just because he said he would? We have already had EIGHT years of that kind of mentality. When Obama talks Change, it's not a slogan, it's REAL. And change is not always pleasant. But it's how we move FORWARD.

If anything, this shows that Obama truly does mean what he says about working together to make changes that benefit the American people.

And what's funny is the McCain camp will not accept that he said this. It pisses them off, because they want to paint him as against drilling. It was funny watching them on FOX today never mentioning this.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:59 AM   #170
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
More like -- characterize him as a 47 year old politician who's only real accomplishment in public life has been to build a campaign of mass hysteria and a cult of personality around himself.

Only real accomplishment. ONLY real accomplishment. . .

You surely can't be serious. I mean is this really what you're going to bring to the table?

Can you explain to me exactly how Obama built this campaign of "mass hysteria"? What was the campaign strategy here? Some democratic strategists sitting around in a room saying: "You know what we need to do is create mass hysteria? You know? Let's get him out there in a suit and tie and have him talk about change. That should really whip them up. . ." WTF?

And "cult of personality". . .well, okay, maybe. I suppose you could say the same of Kennedy with his Camelot persona and what not and George Washington with his whole humble farmer turned Father of Our Country buisness. Obama wouldn't be the first.

Key word: Characterize. Everything you said that McCain is doing is the furthest thing from staying on the issues and is absolutely "going negative". It's every bit as negative as if Obama were to say McCain is just a seventy-something politician who's only real accomplishment is to get himself engrained in the Washington Establishment for decades and build a campaign based on warmongering and fear and. . .what the heck, why not, has built a cult of personality around himself.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #171
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

yes, because Britney Spears and Paris Hilton have anything to do with this.

and, again, as you've outlined above, we're not going to discuss the issues.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #172
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:40 AM
Quote:
House Republicans go back on the floor Monday to talk gas prices

Continuing with their guerilla tactics from last week, House Republicans will be back on the floor Monday to talk gas prices, even though Congress is in recess, and they may stay there all week.

More than a dozen Republicans have already committed to make appearances, according to House GOP leadership aide, including National Republican Congressional Committee Chairman Tom Cole (Ga.).

Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.) and Mike Pence (R-Ind.), who lead Friday's five-hour talkathon after the House shut down for the August recess, are also expected to be there, according to this aide.

"In an urgent memo sent to GOP Members and staff Saturday (“A Call to Action on American Energy”), Republican Leader John Boehner (R-OH) and Whip Roy Blunt (R-MO) hailed Friday’s action, which was led by Reps. Mike Pence (R-IN), Lynn Westmoreland (R-GA), Tom Price (R-GA), and others, and encouraged House Republicans to return to the Capitol beginning Monday morning to help keep the historic effort going," said a press release just released by Minority Leader Boehner's office.

“It’s not a request we make lightly. But the American people are suffering,” Boehner and Blunt said in the memo. “The consequences of continued congressional inaction on gas prices are unacceptable. We’ve called on the Speaker to call Congress back into an emergency session this month and schedule a vote on the American Energy Act. We must continue to make a stand until the Speaker complies.”

The session will not be televised, since C-Span does not control the cameras inside the House chamber. Rather, those come under the purview of Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and the Democrats, and they're unlikely to do anything to help Republicans.

But Republicans felt they got a lot of good press out of Friday's "revolt," so they will be back at it again, and younger GOP lawmakers were clearly energized by the tactic, something not evident among Republicans for most of the 110th Congress

This may prove to be an interesting gambit.

I don't know if they are allowed to bring their own camcorders and put themselves on youtube.

The GOP fighting to bring down gas prices,
while Pelosi and the Dems are taking a five week vacation at taxpayers expense.

The average American has had to reduce or cancel his vacation, because of gas prices.

Will we be seeing ads that state the Dems and Obama would rather win an election
than see gas prices go down?
Old 08-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #173
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
yes, because Britney Spears and Paris Hilton have anything to do with this.

and, again, as you've outlined above, we're not going to discuss the issues.
Did anyone see the Daily Show where Jon showed that McCain received the maximum donation from the Hiltons and McCain returned the favor by shitting on their daughter?

And no issues aren't going to be discussed it's all about Britney and Ludacris...
Old 08-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #174
Blue Crack Addict

Britney is a Republican.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Only real accomplishment. ONLY real accomplishment. . .

You surely can't be serious. I mean is this really what you're going to bring to the table?
What would you list as Barack Obama's greatest achievement in public life so far? That's a fair resumé question.
Quote:
Can you explain to me exactly how Obama built this campaign of "mass hysteria"? What was the campaign strategy here? Some democratic strategists sitting around in a room saying: "You know what we need to do is create mass hysteria? You know? Let's get him out there in a suit and tie and have him talk about change. That should really whip them up. . ." WTF?
Something like that.
You play up the fainting Obamamaniacs at your rallies, go on Oprah where she calls you "The One," encourage celebrity-studded music videos lifting portions of your speeches, inspire Obamagirl, put the word out for artists to design self-consciously iconic posters of you, have the mainstream press fawn over you to the point of being mocked on Saturday Night Live and give a speech in front of 200,000...Germans...in Germany.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #176
Blue Crack Addict

Because God knows that if McCain could have more than 50 people show up to see him, he wouldn't be playing that up.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #177
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Because God knows that if McCain could have more than 50 people show up to see him, he wouldn't be playing that up.
Exactly. It reeks of petty schoolboy jealousy - especially when your ad is essentially criticizing someone for - GASP! - being popular.

How come Obama gets all the girls? No fair!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #178
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
What would you list as Barack Obama's greatest achievement in public life so far? That's a fair resumé question.

ethics reform

securing "loose nukes"

various disaster response bills

a good summary of various bills he's cosponsored can be found here
Old 08-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #179
Blue Crack Addict

Hahaha, this is gold:

Quote:
Today Kathy Hilton weighed in on the controversial John McCain ad featuring her daughter Paris, as well as the singer Britney Spears, in a blog on the Huffington Post. Mrs. Hilton called the ad "frivolous" and a waste of "money" and the "country's time":

I've been asked again and again for my response to the now infamous McCain celebrity ad. I actually have three responses. It is a complete waste of the money John McCain's contributors have donated to his campaign. It is a complete waste of the country's time and attention at the very moment when millions of people are losing their homes and their jobs. And it is a completely frivolous way to choose the next President of the United States.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:23 AM   #180
Blue Crack Supplier

one can feel the influence of Rove in this ad. it's the closest thing we have yet to swift-boating -- taking what's precisely so great about Obama (he's an intelligent, charismatic senator who gives a rousing speech and has broad appeal both within our borders and without), and turn that into a liability.