Urgent Angel's Action Alert!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
Let's get this DONE guys! Do you think Interference can get 100 postcards sent? :D Let's go for it!

Please forward, cut and past, etc etc to anywhere else you feel might be interested.

And don't forget to come visit the Angels at our new home (in my sig). Check out the guestbook to say hi! :)

SD

Jubilee Summer Blizzard to Cancel the Debt!
--> Turn Up the Heat on Treasury Secretary Snow

Join Jubilee?s summer postcard campaign to cancel the debt of impoverished nations!

WHY A SUMMER BLIZZARD?

For the first time since the year 2000, legislation for deeper debt relief has passed the US Congress, largely due to the response of citizens who called and wrote their representatives. Thank you for supporting Jubilee to make this happen!

The legislation is just a small step towards Jubilee?s goal of complete debt cancellation for impoverished countries. However, it could double the amount of debt relief for currently eligible poor countries...if the legislation is implemented.

That means doubling the number of kids going back to school, and doubling the resources available for vaccinations and for the fight against HIV/AIDS...if the legislation is implemented.

In order for deeper debt relief to be a reality, our Treasury Department must negotiate the terms with other rich countries and with the IMF and World Bank. At the Fall meetings of the IMF and World Bank, the US Treasury must act for meaningful debt relief and an end to the destructive preconditions for receiving such relief. It?s time to turn up the heat on US Treasury Secretary John Snow.

TAKE ACTION

Our goal is to generate 10,000 postcards to Treasury Secretary Snow by summer?s end. Help us create a postcard blizzard!

Please be sure to contact us and tell us how many postcards you have sent so that we can keep an accurate tally of our progress. Send reports to: mara@jubileeusa.org

We know from experience that the Administration takes notice when thousands of postcards from around the country start flooding in. When we generated thousands of postcards from tabling at U2 concerts, the Treasury Department reported the impact this had to the media and to high level policy officials. We know it can make a difference!

Join us in making life-saving debt cancellation a reality for millions of our brothers and sisters around the globe.

Here?s how you can join the Blizzard:

Purchase postcards with pictures of your local landmarks and scenery or use old greeting cards that are sitting around your house
Hand write and personalize your postcards with the sample text given below
Send to:
Treasury Secretary Snow
1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20220
Click Here for Sample postcard text

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More ideas:

Hold postcard writing tables at coffee hour at your church or synagogue, ask friends to write postcards when they come over to dinner, table at local concerts and outdoor fairs.
When you go on summer vacation - send postcards from the places you visit!
Encourage friends and colleagues to do the same.
REMEMBER: Tally how many postcards you can get in your local community with friends, family and at your house of worship. Then send us your numbers to help us reach our goal! Send reports to: mara@jubileeusa.org

This is a great idea, however since I am Canadian, my postcard would be worthless being sent to a US government official.

Thanks Pax!

Anitram--send it to Chretain (Did I spell his name right?? :))
Canada is a G8 nation, ya'll are a part of this. :) I wonder if there is a Jubilee Canada....

Anyway, get those postcards in the mail, ya'll!

SD

I'm on it. Great idea!!!

maybe we can do this in LA with the u2 fans?

*puts on thinking cap*

~ still recovering from Cleveland......

Thanks Angel!

Guys, be sure you get as many people to send them as you can. LMK how many you get sent and I'll report back to Jubilee. :)

:angel:

sd

LA Fan Party and Post ta card blitz~

Hi guys, I posted the original thread in U2 gatherins' but I wanted to make sure more people saw it.

LA area fans, let's all get together to celebrate ( june gloom is finally over in SoCal and the sun is officially out! )and fill out postcards for the Jubilee blitz.

Next week is a crucial week for appropriations in the amt of money that is going to go to the The Global AIDS act and the proposed leglislation. Even tho it was approved, the money still has to be allocated and that could all fall apart this week and Africa could get screwed.

SO........ we are gonna be some drunk`ass post card filler outers ( okay so not EVERYONE will be drunk)
Heres the scoop:

When : This Tuesday, July 8th
Where: Ye Olde Kings Head Pub, Santa Monica, CA
Time: Start time: 7:30-8pm
I will supply the postcards and sample wording if you need it.
So far I have 15 rsvps. ! :yes:

Julie, you RULE.

Attention ANYONE in Virgina, MD or Washington DC. Let's get together and DO THIS.

Anyone interested? I'll set it up!

:)

SD

totally fun Julie! I'm doing the same at Starbucks (promise I'll ask for free trade coffee :D). You inspired me. Hopefull I'll get some bites.

Great site. I need to get one running for Jubilee VA.

:)

SD

Back
Top Bottom