Upping the Ante

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Taken from Drudge (so take with a grain of salt - or automatically dismiss, your choice)

REPORTER VOWS TO 'KILL SELF' IF CHENEY RUNS FOR PRESIDENT
Thu Jul 28 2005 15:32:13 ET

Veteran wire reporter Helen Thomas is vowing to 'kill herself' if Dick Cheney announces he is running for president.

The newspaper HILL first reported the startling claim on Thursday.

MORE

"The day Dick Cheney is going to run for president, I'll kill myself," she told the HILL. "All we need is one more liar."

Thomas added, "I think he'd like to run, but it would be a sad day for the country if he does."

We had plenty of people "vowing" to leave the country if GWB was elected.

Will you take the Helen Thomas pledge?

i have a huge stock of sleeping pills and vodka set aside should we ever have a President Cheney.

of course, i said i'd use it all in 2004 if Bush won again, but there were extenuating circumstances and i'd feel really bad for my parents and all.

but if Cheney is ever elected, i'm totally ending it all.

totally.

Do we know yet whether the numbers of people applying to emmigrate to Canada from the US went up hugely after election. I just remember that story about their website receving hugely increased traffic after Bush victory number two.

I'm not going to hurt myself if Cheney decides to run. I'll engage in suitable activities to oppose his candidacy, including an offer to work in campaigns to draft either Giuliani or McCain for the Republican nomination. That would be the most drastic thing I can do being a liberal and getting mixed up in Republican politics.

Irvine511 said:
i have a huge stock of sleeping pills and vodka set aside should we ever have a President Cheney.

of course, i said i'd use it all in 2004 if Bush won again, but there were extenuating circumstances and i'd feel really bad for my parents and all.

but if Cheney is ever elected, i'm totally ending it all.

totally.

Are you serious? I can understand the political sentiment behind some statements, but would you let this type of action become reality?

tarquinsuperb said:
Do we know yet whether the numbers of people applying to emmigrate to Canada from the US went up hugely after election. I just remember that story about their website receving hugely increased traffic after Bush victory number two.

Contrary to popular opinion, those who "don't like it here," cannot leave very easily. Immigration laws in most every country are strict and, even then, costly.

While Canada is easier than most countries, you still face about $1,000 in fees, along with about $3,000 you'd need to hire an immigration lawyer to ensure that all the various paperwork is done correctly. And this all assumes that you'd qualify for permanent residency under either NAFTA provisions or under Canada's "skilled worker" program. The only way you can "buy" your way into the country is if you have CAD $500,000 just lying around and you're willing to let the government "invest" it for five years without interest.

This is from someone who sat down and actually investigated the issue. Let's face it, folks: the borders are there to not only keep the "undesirables" out (although that certainly doesn't seem to stop a lot of people on our Southern border), but to keep you from leaving.

Melon

If this nation continues to head in the direction of social Darwinism, and a time comes that I have to choose between food and medicine, or am dying without dignity because of the religious right's views on euthenasia, I'm going to end my life on my own terms, leaving letters addressed to the government and the media in which I decry a cruel society that was once great. But I don't think that will happen. The conservatives have had a good whack at governing the country, and have made a hellish mess of it.

Last edited:
I can see some upsides too it; but these people rarely follow through with their pledges in enough numbers to give the right any real advantages.

No no no.. don't do this.. Don't even speak of such evil, ugly rumors. I just can't handle any more bad news for at least the next few months.
I may just have to go into total media shutdown for the rest of the summer.
If only...

OK, I've never posted here before, and prob will never do so again but, rather than have a lot of ppl kill themselves...is it not easier to just take out Cheney if he thinks of running for president? Saves a lot of ppl a lot of hassle :)

Back
Top Bottom