Update to Time Travel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wizard2c

Refugee
Okay.....if they did in fact invent a time machine.......and you could travel back to any time or specific year in the past and place....what would that be.

I would like to return to the land and time of Lord of the Rings.

:|

U2 concerts are invited as well....but you would have to pick just one concert and time.

:wink:

wizard2c said:
Okay.....if they did in fact invent a time machine.......and you could travel back to any time or specific year in the past and place....what would that be.

I would like to return to the land and time of Lord of the Rings.

Time travel doesn't work on fictional places. :sexywink:

And even then, there's a good dose of romanticism involved with the past. People were, on average, not even 5 feet tall and all of their teeth fell out by their early 20s (toothbrushes weren't common until the 19th century). Oh and 99% of Europe were enslaved in feudalism, with 99% of that remaining 1% being horribly corrupt. I certainly would never want to return to the Middle Ages!

In fact, I hate the past. I'm perfectly satisfied with the present, if I'm unable to travel to the future.

Melon

Well, even knowing what I know about history, I'd pick:

The Middle Ages (pre 1348! I'd make a stop to Scotland and see William Wallace somewhere in there)
Renaissance Italy & England (so I could see Queen Elizabeth I)
The Russian Revolution (why not?)

I wouldn't mind stopping in prehistoric times and getting a glimpse of early man and an untouched planet.

I'd also figure out a way to intercept a young Viggo Mortensen. :sexywink:

Personally I find the days of "yore" very intriquing.......so they didn't have elevators {who cares} and what would the future be except fiction as the future has not been written yet.

So, yes it's best you stay here in the Now....but that's a good reason.

Melon is right. Ago wasn't always very pleasant. The average life span of a human being in the wild is about 35 years. But if you were only going back for a visit, what's the problem with the fact that the past wasn't as wonderful as the idealists imagine?

Anyway, top of my list, I'd want to meet Mark Twain.

Or I'd want to go back to a time before the extinction of the passenger pigeon. It was recounted that the sky would be black for hours when they were migrating.

Or back to the American plains before the railroads, to see the millions of buffalo on their migration.

Last edited:
BTW, the teeth falling out by the early twenties was only true in cultures where the cultivation of cereal grains raised the levels of starches and sugars in the diet.

Before certain Native American tribes started growing corn, they had near perfect teeth at death, whatever age. After the introduction of corn into their agriculture, their teeth starting rotting out--but they also started living longer due to a more stable and abundant food source.

"Time travel doesn't work on fictional places. "

------------

unless you happen to be a wizard and can create time and the future.

Re: reply

wizard2c said:
"Time travel doesn't work on fictional places. "

------------

unless you happen to be a wizard and can create time and the future.

If we can achieve time travel, the realisation of a work of fiction in an alternate past may as well be feasible too, so I'd like to take a trip to that most talked about period our shared history, "A long, long time ago in a galaxy far away.............."

I think it'd be kind of neat to visit thirteenth century Paris for a day, but I'm sure I'd be glad to come back to modernity. They already had Brie cheese!

"If we can achieve time travel, the realisation of a work of fiction in an alternate past may as well be feasible too, so I'd like to take a trip to that most talked about period our shared history, "A long, long time ago in a galaxy far away.............."

:up: ZeroDude

1. Henry VIII England (Note to self, pack plenty of toilet paper)
2. Like echo, the American plains.
3. Wouldn't mind going back a few thousand years to the
reported time of Jesus to see what it was all really about.
For all the arguments on the way Christianity sometimes
handles itself, I think the guy is pretty cool.

all_i_want said:
dont forget people... you go any further than the 19th century, no toilet paper!

How bout, if you venture into most of the developing world today you won't find any toilet paper. Water and your left hand, works as well today as it did in the earlier centuries. :sexywink:

In fact, living in Mali feels like time travel most of the time. :lol: Donkey carts, cattle being herded through the streets, etc.

Back
Top Bottom