Uniting American Families Act

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
Urge your elected rep to support this Act. For purposes of immigration law, it would recognize same-sex partners legally married outside the U.S. as spouses--very good news. So if, as an American, you wed your non-American same-sex partner in a country wherein gay marriage or civil union is an option, you would be able to bring him or her to the States as a spouse, just as a hetero couple currently can.

:up:

http://www.hrcactioncenter.org/campaign/uafa_house_urge/8w7wgg2y556ddd

The press release:

http://www.hrc.org/Template.cfm?Sec...EMPLATE=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm

Last edited:
When Pax and I were talking recently about ways and means to get together for the long term, in the future if our relationship stays strong and gets stronger, I don't know why it suddenly hit me but it did - that if Pax and I were of the same sex we'd probably have very little chance of being together (as in physically) long term. In the future for instance Pax and I could get married and the spouse goes through the process of immigration.

It is really,really upsetting that same-sex couples don't have the same comfortable immigration process (and it's not comfortable at that) as people like Pax and I, a hetrosexual couple, have.

This has to end NOW. It's cruel.

ewen said:
When Pax and I were talking recently about ways and means to get together for the long term, in the future if our relationship stays strong and gets stronger, I don't know why it suddenly hit me but it did - that if Pax and I were of the same sex we'd probably have very little chance of being together (as in physically) long term. In the future for instance Pax and I could get married and the spouse goes through the process of immigration.

It is really,really upsetting that same-sex couples don't have the same comfortable immigration process (and it's not comfortable at that) as people like Pax and I, a hetrosexual couple, have.

This has to end NOW. It's cruel.

:hug:

i find it so heartening when heterosexuals are able to place themselves in different (perhaps more fabulous? ;) ) shoes.

this is what we need, and this is how the gay/straight alliance will win over the hearts and minds of the population.

homosexuals are only different from heterosexuals in that they are constitutively, which is to say emotionally and physically, attracted to the same gender. there is no choice in the matter, it is fully involuntary.

take a good long look at your opposite-gender boy/girlfriend, fiance, or spouse. and then imagine if you two had to face the obstacles that your typical gay couple has to face.

a friend of mine had to end his relationship because his boyfriend was from the UK, and he was from the US. it was the same situation as Pax and Ewen, only this was Bert and Patrick.

:hug: I'm sorry for your friends. Hopefully the civil union-type legislation will pass in the UK later this year (I think that's on the table now, yes?)

Just the other day a former volunteer friend of mine came back to visit her Malian boyfriend. We all went out together (with MY malian boyfriend as well) with the boyfriend of one of our gay friends who is now in the States. What is so hard to accept is that I can bring my boyfriend back to the States legally if we get married or engaged but my gay friend has no way to get his significant other a visa. It's so unfair and so sad. They essentially had to break up. :(

sulawesigirl4 said:
They essentially had to break up. :(

and then people wonder why gay men are prone to promiscuity.

could it be that not only are there no incentives to build a lasting adult relationship, but that society as a whole is actually hostile to the realtionships a gay person might try to build?

I don't question that at all. It seems to be the story of most of the lives of my gay friends. They want stability and all the trappings of family life but aren't allowed to have it.

Irvine511 said:

a friend of mine had to end his relationship because his boyfriend was from the UK, and he was from the US. it was the same situation as Pax and Ewen, only this was Bert and Patrick.

That makes me want to hurl. we live in a world where acts of hate are legally easier to carry out than acts of love.

If Pax and I were to get married in the future, and say I emigrated to the States - our children would automatically have dual citizenship. If my son was gay, met a guy from Europe, I'm so glad he'd be happy knowing that he could go to Scotland and get "married". Unfortunately of course, he wouldn't be able to take his partner back to the States. So, he'd be forced with the choice of living over there (away from the love of his parents) or probably splitting up with his boyfriend. If it came to that Pax, we'd be moving to Scotland.

ewen said:

That makes me want to hurl. we live in a world where acts of hate are legally easier to carry out than acts of love.

If Pax and I were to get married in the future, and say I emigrated to the States - our children would automatically have dual citizenship. If my son was gay, met a guy from Europe, I'm so glad he'd be happy knowing that he could go to Scotland and get "married". Unfortunately of course, he wouldn't be able to take his partner back to the States. So, he'd be forced with the choice of living over there (away from the love of his parents) or probably splitting up with his boyfriend. If it came to that Pax, we'd be moving to Scotland.

:up:

Kids who are gay want and need the support and love of their parents, I think, even more so than hetero offspring. I'd want to be able to show my support to a gay son or daughter that way.

Finally an American Act with "Families" in it that actually aims at bringing families and love together rather than separating them.

Very well argued, ewen and pax. :up:

Seriously...please support this legislation. The immigration process is a nervewracking one, but at the very least, it would be a nice diplomatic gesture towards countries currently allowing or thinking of allowing same-sex marriage or civil union.

And at best, it might just be a step in the right direction towards legal recognition of same-sex unions. :up:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom