United Way money

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Did anybody see that report of where the money donated to the United way went? Of the millions donated, only $50,000 has been spent. Where to? To get rights to show the people dancing in the streets of Pakistan (or wherever that was)! 3,000 people are dead and millions of dollars were donated to help their families and $0 has gotten to them. Of the Red Cross, United Way and Salvation Army, the Salvation Army has given the most. So, if you are thinking of donating, give to the Salvation Army.

------------------
Taste is the enemy of art.

I agree. I few years back there was an investigation into United Way and how one of the top guys were pocketing alot of the money. Every year at my work my employer tries to force all the employees to give to the United Way so that this company can look like do gooders. They get a big thank you dinner and are awarded a plaque by the United Way. What a JOKE!

Don't give to the United Way!

If you want to help please give within your communities. There are numerous homeless shelters that need donations and volunteer help. There are also food banks that need your help as well. When you take your money or your time and give it directly to the people who need it most it cuts out the middle man. That middle man is the United Way.

I used to work at a company that essentially "required" that we donate money to the United Way. Every year the employees of the company donated more money to the UW not necessarily out of the kindness of their hearts but out of fear of reprisals. We were told that if we didn't exceed the previous years donations we would lose all priviledges such as "casual" Fridays, free donuts etc, etc. A friend of mine who was new to the company replied to one such threatening email asking if he could donate his money to a charity of his choice. He was damn near fired for "insolence." Each year when the previous years donations had been surpassed the company would issue a press release about the "generosity" of its employees. It really irritated the hell out of me and I never donated to the United Way. My money went and still goes to other charities.

MAP

Anybody want to comment on the NFL's close relationship with the United Way?

Originally posted by speedracer:
Anybody want to comment on the NFL's close relationship with the United Way?

Publicity
We've seen the commercials.
I wonder how the United Way approached these players.

At my work they want 100% participation or you are put on the shite list.

I used to work for a very "respectable" hospital and they would go as far as to actually deduct money right out of our pay for the frigging United Way, and even after I signed the slip NO deductions, they took it out anyway - oh, hey, but I did get a United Way pencil for my "gracious donations of 5.00 per pay for a year ($260.00) money hungry grubbers, I'd rather write a personal check to a family in need that trust those people - I support the Salvation Army in my area whenever I can. I could have bought shoes for 20 kids with that money!!!

I'm sorry that I gave to the United Way. I should of given it to another Charity
mad.gif

Originally posted by Mrs. Edge:
Well, I have to raise another few hundred thousand for my hospital before March, so if anyone's looking for a charity....
wink.gif

you have to do that yourself Mrs. Edge?
which hospital is it, if it's okay for me to ask.

Of course it's OK to ask.
smile.gif
I work for Toronto East General Hospital, a "community hospital" in Toronto that serves about 1/2 million ppl in the east end. I used to be Major Gifts officer at the National Ballet and then I was Director of Development for an opera company. Health care certainly is a change! (not as glamorous I must admit, but I can now say fancy words like videoduodenoscope!)

As a professional fundraiser, I find it fascinating to hear what you are all saying about the United Way (and charitable giving in general)!

I tend to give the largest share of my donations to the arts, because the vast majority of people support stuff like the United Way, churches, education, health, etc. The arts really need $ and get only about 4% of charitable contributions, at least in Canada anyway.

I am also a huge fan/supporter of Amnesty, World Wildlife, and the Humane Society, where I also volunteer. Of course, I also support the hospital! (no wonder I'm so broke! LOL)

I wish U2 would set up a charitable foundation and put me in charge of it!

I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate here. First, just because the whole 9/11 fund is tied up should not overshadow the great work that the United Way does elsewhere in this country every day. Please don't overlook the food drives and other programs they have done this holiday season. I work in nonprofit, and to the UW's defense. It's not as simple as collecting money and giving it away. When people donated to the Sept. 11th Fund- it was under the knowledge that the money would be dispersed by a panel of people from the Red Cross and UWay so that the money would go to the appropriate places. There is a lot of red tape in collecting and giving out money. Believe me, I'm just as mad as everyone else that the families don't have what they need yet ( although a ton of money was released to families the week before Christmas). The saddest thing about this is, however, that the UWay has to be incredible careful with the money. If they collected $150M and gave it away the next day, there would doubtless be people ripping off the charities (i.e. non 9/11 family members collecting on money, etc.). I'd hate to see the fit everyone would throw if they gave money away quickly to the wrong cause. Again, just an objective opinion. . . commence attacking me if you will.

P.S.- Mrs. Edge- when you get that U2 Foundation job.... there's a nonprofit grantwriter and communications officer that will soon be looking for a new job.

The United Way certainly does do some very laudable things.

But what it really represents (and why it has taken off like a rocket) is an ingenious method of "branding" charity, and of enhancing the ability of corporations and other organizations to reap public relations benefit out of their donated money. The worst problem: it fuels the U.S. corporate community's false claims that they are responsible and benevolent members of the community and that they are using their riches for good - when the truth is very much the opposite in many/most situations. As a result, the public views these companies favorably even though most of their behavior is oriented towards making money, and govenmental policy continues to place fewer and fewer limits on the behavior of companies, and to favor them in a variety of ways.

For example, when Mark McGuire (or whoever) donates $1000 to United Way for every homer he hits, that $1000 (which is generally reimbursed to the player by the team in some form in his contract) is essentially a paid ad which says to the public, "McGuire and the Cardinals support the United Way and are generous". The payback can be enormous - for instance, public criticisms of governmental policy to spend millions of tax dollars building them a new stadium (as opposed to spending education, healthcare, welfare, or other needed initiaties for the people of St. Louis) become muted, saving many millions for the owners of the Cardinals.

I give to the United Way. The local chapter here is good about sending newsletters as to their projects and such (on request - to save costs) and I feel confident about what they do.

I am sorry if some of you do not like me choice in charitable contributions; it is not the only thing I give to. Perhaps you should tell Bill O'Reilly at Fox News about me so that he could invite me on his program to spar with him about it.

~U2Alabama

Just a side note - as a professional fundraiser myself who has studied these issues - if an organization 'forces; you to give to the United Way - it has nothing to do with the United Way - it is the corporations choice to behave in that way. many organizations like to 'brag' that they have 100% employee involvment. It is your employer whom you should have issue with in that case not the United Way itself.

------------------
"In the midst of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" - A. Camus

"Is Simplicity Best? Or Simply the Easiest?" ML Gore

Originally posted by Peaseblossom:
I'm going to play the Devil's Advocate here. First, just because the whole 9/11 fund is tied up should not overshadow the great work that the United Way does elsewhere in this country every day. Please don't overlook the food drives and other programs they have done this holiday season. I work in nonprofit, and to the UW's defense. It's not as simple as collecting money and giving it away. When people donated to the Sept. 11th Fund- it was under the knowledge that the money would be dispersed by a panel of people from the Red Cross and UWay so that the money would go to the appropriate places. There is a lot of red tape in collecting and giving out money. Believe me, I'm just as mad as everyone else that the families don't have what they need yet ( although a ton of money was released to families the week before Christmas). The saddest thing about this is, however, that the UWay has to be incredible careful with the money. If they collected $150M and gave it away the next day, there would doubtless be people ripping off the charities (i.e. non 9/11 family members collecting on money, etc.). I'd hate to see the fit everyone would throw if they gave money away quickly to the wrong cause. Again, just an objective opinion. . . commence attacking me if you will.

P.S.- Mrs. Edge- when you get that U2 Foundation job.... there's a nonprofit grantwriter and communications officer that will soon be looking for a new job.

Exactly!

and P.P.S. Mrs. Edge - if the U2 Foundation needs someone with a MA in Philanthropic Studies and experence with Foundations and Donor Relations - call on me
biggrin.gif

------------------
"In the midst of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" - A. Camus

"Is Simplicity Best? Or Simply the Easiest?" ML Gore

Back
Top Bottom