United States of Entropy - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
The Male

Local Time: 07:55 PM
Life Expectancy Plunges For White High School Dropouts In U.S.

Well duh

Now.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
How so?

Examples.
I don't think I'm alone in the outsider's perspective that America is a bickering us-against-them nation. Granted, you're not at war with one another, so credit where credit is due.
You've also let way too much money work its way into your political process; to the point that nobody is really sure who's running the joint anymore.
You've also got a highest percentage of the population behind bars than other other country on the planet.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
If this is what INDY means, then it is nothing to get upset over. What he said earlier made it sound like the U.S. was going to be like Russia after the end of the Soviet Union, where the life expectancy plummeted to age 55 in 2000.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

I suppose I'm envious that some essentials like healthcare, housing, and education were comparatively cheaper for my parents than for me.

I'm envious that my non-college educated grandparents were able to find good work at good wages with good benefits and a security that let them stay with a single company for 35 years. They were part of a mid-century middle class that is, indeed, vanishing as more money flows to the top tier of society.

I can feel envious of that.

However, I don't think my parents and grandparents have/had better values, though I think they got by with a lot less. I also think they were less pressured, and competed on a much more relaxed playing field as women were kept under lock and key ad the rest of the world had been shattered by the 2nd World War (or was still in the comparative stone ages).
Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Politics kind of bores me, so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it kind of counter intuitive to long for the days of Reagan and lament the decline of the middle class?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Stop proving my point by insisting on being such a dimwit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/17/he...bese.html?_r=0

Quote:
By PAM BELLUCK
Published: March 17, 2005

For the first time in two centuries, the current generation of children in America may have shorter life expectancies than their parents, according to a new report, which contends that the rapid rise in childhood obesity, if left unchecked, could shorten life spans by as much as five years.

The report, to be published Thursday in The New England Journal of Medicine, says the prevalence and severity of obesity is so great, especially in children, that the associated diseases and complications - Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, kidney failure, cancer - are likely to strike people at younger and younger ages.

"Obesity is such that this generation of children could be the first basically in the history of the United States to live less healthful and shorter lives than their parents," said Dr. David S. Ludwig, director of the obesity program at Children's Hospital Boston, and one of the authors of the report.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

I don't think I'm alone in the outsider's perspective that America is a bickering us-against-them nation. Granted, you're not at war with one another, so credit where credit is due.
You've also let way too much money work its way into your political process; to the point that nobody is really sure who's running the joint anymore.
You've also got a highest percentage of the population behind bars than other other country on the planet.

Indeed, there are problems when you are 310m diverse people stretched across a vast continent. Agreed about the prisons, and our comparative violence (though crime has dropped dramatically since the Clinton years), and our messy politics. I would have also said health are, but thankfully universal coverage is on the way.

So, yes, we got problems. But I think "a fucking mess" is the maple leaf sewed on every suitcase an item of clothing talking.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
So, yes, we got problems. But I think "a fucking mess" is the maple leaf sewed on every suitcase an item of clothing talking.
hahaha. I'm one of the least patriotic people going (I'm happy to live here, but it certainly doesn't define me). But point taken
Old 02-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

OK, but this has more to do with lack of exercise and healthy meals than the decline of American values. This is not related to the economoy or progressive values.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

Oh, I forgot too add:

Way too many fat people
Old 02-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #26
The Male

Local Time: 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
OK, but this has more to do with lack of exercise and healthy meals than the decline of American values. This is not related to the economoy or progressive values.
The example I gave actually related to the job market and the original post. Pretty good for a dimwit.

Yeah, there are a lot of fat people in America. There have been for a long time, no reason to blame that solely on the current administration.

Now.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
no reason to blame that solely on the current administration.
You Obama shills have such short memories

CNN - President Obama: "A Krispy Kreme in every cafeteria in the nation"
Old 02-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
I just got through a blizzard, can't worry about all that. Sorry.

Life sucks then you die.
No more snow!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

I don't ever actually wish I lived in a different country either. Just some place warmer, with no snow.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #29
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:55 AM
You (as the OP) sound like one of the Roman writers from the final century of the Western Empire, or most of the folk who thought the world was going to end in 1000AD which was surprisingly a lot of people. Society is far from getting worse and could still get better in how we treat people. Last days of empire and all that yada yada.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:55 PM
Last days of republic, more like. If only there were a strong leader in the provinces who could take charge, a first citizen of some kind.