United States of Entropy - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #271
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:04 AM
Taking another step back, the blue states have vastly superior "values" than the Red States.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #272
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Don't worry, my partner and I have done extremely well. I'd be willing to wager good money that we've done exponentially better than you under the current "meritocracy" system. If I were to adopt your attitude, I'd have to conclude that you're lazier than us and/or have made worse life choices. Because it's really that simple in life?
Is it not possible for you to argue public policies, political philosophies or value systems strictly on their merits rather than making everything, EVERYTHING, personal?

Good grief.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #273
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Taking another step back, the blue states have vastly superior "values" than the Red States.

Quote:
Americans Are Migrating To More Free Republican States
Wed, Mar 27 2013 00:00:00 E 00_WEB
By JOHN MERLINE, INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY

Americans are migrating from less-free liberal states to more-free conservative states, where they are doing better economically, according to a new study published Thursday by George Mason University's Mercatus Center.

The "Freedom in the 50 States" study measured economic and personal freedom using a wide range of criteria, including tax rates, government spending and debt, regulatory burdens, and state laws covering land use, union organizing, gun control, education choice and more.

It found that the freest states tended to be conservative "red" states, while the least free were liberal "blue" states.

The freest state overall, the researchers concluded, was North Dakota, followed by South Dakota, Tennessee, New Hampshire and Oklahoma. The least free state by far was New York, followed by California, New Jersey, Hawaii and Rhode Island.

Freedom in the 50 States 2013 | Overall Freedom | Mercatus Center

Americans Migrating To More Free GOP States With Better Income Growth - Investors.com
Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #274
ONE
love, blood, life

Did Indy just post a quantitative diagram on 'freedom'?

hahahahaha

Sorry, Vermont. You're down 3 freedoms from 4 years ago.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Is it not possible for you to argue public policies, political philosophies or value systems strictly on their merits rather than making everything, EVERYTHING, personal?
Some cognitive dissonance you have going on there.

YOU are the one who insists on making these matters personal because rather than arguing on economic, political, social merits, YOU constantly bring up values, individual choices (typically poor unless they agree with your values) and gay/unideal marriage. Every single time.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #276
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh come on.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #277
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

The irony is that the very people that, by indy's account, lack the proper values to get off the government teat, are most populous in these states that have higher degrees of this so-called "freedom."
Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #278
Blue Crack Supplier

When I lived in Belgium, I once got very sick. I went to the doctor and waited for maybe 5 minutes. I say with him as he did a thorough examination in slow, but careful Wnglish. He then diagnosed what was wrong (strep throat) and wrote me a prescription that I took to the pharmacy one block away. I waited for 10 minutes. Paid $20. Got a receipt that I was instructed to mail in and 2 weeks later I was fully reimbursed.

Felt pretty free to me.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #279
ONE
love, blood, life

I hope you're enjoying your grapes, Indy

Equal Pay for Monkeys - YouTube

(I'm actually not posting this as any sort of commentary. Just thought it was funny and kinda fit in here in a weird way....Maybe if we had a Morality thread, then I'd be illustrating a point )
Old 09-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #280
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

33 Shocking Facts Which Show How Badly The Economy Has Tanked Under Obama | Zero Hedge
Quote:
#1 When Barack Obama entered the White House, 60.6 percent of working age Americans had a job. Today, only 58.7 percent of working age Americans have a job.

#2 Since Obama has been president, seven out of every eight jobs that have been "created" in the U.S. economy have been part-time jobs.

#3 The number of full-time workers in the United States is still nearly 6 million below the old record that was set back in 2007.

#4 It is hard to believe, but an astounding 53 percent of all American workers now make less than $30,000 a year.

#5 40 percent of all workers in the United States actually make less than what a full-time minimum wage worker made back in 1968.

#6 When the Obama era began, the average duration of unemployment in this country was 19.8 weeks. Today, it is 36.6 weeks.

#7 During the first four years of Obama, the number of Americans "not in the labor force" soared by an astounding 8,332,000. That far exceeds any previous four year total.

#8 According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the middle class is taking home a smaller share of the overall income pie than has ever been recorded before.

#9 When Obama was elected, the homeownership rate in the United States was 67.5 percent. Today, it is 65.0 percent. That is the lowest that it has been in 18 years.

#10 When Obama entered the White House, the mortgage delinquency rate was 7.85 percent. Today, it is 9.72 percent.

#11 In 2008, the U.S. trade deficit with China was 268 billion dollars. Last year, it was 315 billion dollars.

#12 When Obama first became president, 12.5 million Americans had manufacturing jobs. Today, only 11.9 million Americans have manufacturing jobs.

#13 Median household income in America has fallen for four consecutive years. Overall, it has declined by over $4000 during that time span.

#14 The poverty rate has shot up to 16.1 percent. That is actually higher than when the War on Poverty began in 1965.

#15 During Obama's first term, the number of Americans on food stamps increased by an average of about 11,000 per day.

#16 When Barack Obama entered the White House, there were about 32 million Americans on food stamps. Today, there are more than 47 million Americans on food stamps.

#17 At this point, more than a million public school students in the United States are homeless. This is the first time that has ever happened in our history. That number has risen by 57 percent since the 2006-2007 school year.

#18 When Barack Obama took office, the average price of a gallon of regular gasoline was $1.85. Today, it is $3.53.

#19 Electricity bills in the United States have risen faster than the overall rate of inflation for five years in a row.
#20 Health insurance costs have risen by 29 percent since Barack Obama became president, and Obamacare is going to make things far worse.

#21 The United States has fallen in the global economic competitiveness rankings compiled by the World Economic Forum for four years in a row.

#22 According to economist Tim Kane, the following is how the number of startup jobs per 1000 Americans breaks down by presidential administration...

Bush Sr.: 11.3

Clinton: 11.2

Bush Jr.: 10.8

Obama: 7.8

#23 In 2008, that total amount of student loan debt in this country was 440 billion dollars. At this point, it has shot up to about a trillion dollars.

#24 According to one recent survey, 76 percent of all Americans are living paycheck to paycheck.

#25 During Obama's first term, the number of Americans collecting federal disability insurance rose by more than 18 percent.

#26 The total amount of money that the federal government gives directly to the American people has grown by 32 percent since Barack Obama became president.

#27 According to the Survey of Income and Program Participation conducted by the U.S. Census, well over 100 million Americans are enrolled in at least one welfare program run by the federal government.

#28 As I wrote about the other day, American households are now receiving more money directly from the federal government than they are paying to the government in taxes.

#29 Under Barack Obama, the velocity of money (a very important indicator of economic health) has plunged to a post-World War II low.

#30 At the end of 2008, the Federal Reserve held $475.9 billion worth of U.S. Treasury bonds. Today, Fed holdings of U.S. Treasury bonds have skyrocketed past the 2 trillion dollar mark.

#31 When Barack Obama was first elected, the U.S. debt to GDP ratio was under 70 percent. Today, it is up to 101 percent.

#32 During Obama's first term, the federal government accumulated more new debt than it did under the first 42 U.S presidents combined.

#33 When you break it down, the amount of new debt accumulated by the U.S. government during Obama's first term comes to approximately $50,521 for every single household in the United States.
A sad record of economic malaise, growing entitlement, debt and people are suffering for it.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #281
ONE
love, blood, life

Number 29 is the scary one there.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #282
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Along with # 30
Old 09-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #283
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't know if 30 scares me or not. I am skeptical that quantitative easing has had much of an effect in any sense, but mildly concerned that it could be a cause for future inflation. Regardless, the real part of the economy is lethargic right now in a way that concerns me far more than the nominal part (i.e. inflation).
Old 09-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #284
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:04 AM
How "real" is any of this crap? It "seems" these people can "print" or "not print" and there's no visible difference. It seems economics is nothing more than an agreed upon illusion.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #285
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
33 Shocking Facts Which Show How Badly The Economy Has Tanked Under Obama | Zero Hedge A sad record of economic malaise, growing entitlement, debt and people are suffering for it.

Still blaming Obama for the Great Recession? I lost track of how many times it said "during Obama's first term ..."

SHOCKING FACTS! SO SO SHOCKING!