United States of Entropy - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #241
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,860
Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Why can't people on the Left converse without profanity?
And my counter-thread would be "Who Gives a Shit about Profanity?"

My only regret in using profanity is that you'll talk about that instead of talking about what we're talking about.
__________________

__________________
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #242
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,860
Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Except from President Obama to radical environmentalist to Occupy Wall St I can quote my strawmen and that's the meanest thing one can do... quote a Leftist. Call it social justice, leveling the playing field, fairness, shared prosperity, environmental justice or income inequality; what motivates and propels the Left is inequality of outcome and the desire to solve it through welfare-state egalitarianism.

Need proof?

Here we are in the 2nd term of our most leftist president and what do we have? What a surprise; bigger and more intrusive government, 4 straight years of $trillion deficits, higher taxes on wealth and calls for them to go even higher, a scheme to transfer healthcare decisions from the physician's office to a panel of masterminds in Washington D.C. and record numbers of Americans receiving food stamps, and unemployment insurance and Medicaid and S.S. Disability. Ya gotta spread the wealth around right
Now to this: again and again and again and again and again and again, all you have done is taken quotes from either unreliable or unrepresentative sources that say what you think we are all thinking (see: your quotes from Sharpton and some random freshman from college), or you've taken quotes from more representative and rational sources like our President and twisted them around to fit your agenda. Neither pushes this discussion forward.

The fundamental disagreement between the Left and the Right is NOT inequality of outcome. It's cause of inequality. The Left believes that there are many causes of inequality, most commonly nothing other than circumstance. Where you're born, what economic class you're born into, what educational opportunities those things offer you. The Right, as far as I can tell, believes that the people who fall behind are those who don't have the common sense to graduate, get a job, get married and have children, all in that order. That's the difference. Is that not true?

Here we are in Obama's second term and where have we gotten? We've made some small progress, but ultimately not very far. Why? Because the GOP spent the last four years ignoring the interests of the citizens that elected them in hopes that the lack of economic progress in this country could be pinned on the president.
__________________

__________________
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #243
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

Maybe I'll start a new thread: why can't people on the Left converse without profanity?
Try it sometime. It might externalize some of your inner anger. Cleans you right the fuck out.

Or stick to your religious suppression. Whatever works for you
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #244
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 02:27 PM
sooooooo ... i came across this, and i think it's related and i hope a way to continue discussion:


Quote:
“Why I Might Become A Gay Republican”
APR 17 2013 @ 7:41AM

A reader vents during tax season:

Quote:
I’ve always wondered how any self-respecting gay man (or woman) could ever support the Republican Party. But a series of recent events in my personal life momentarily made me think about it. My partner and I have a beautiful baby girl. We begged, borrow and stole (well, not the last thing) to have her via surrogacy, and she is the great joy of our life. We love being dads, and would love to have another child – a little brother and sister for our baby girl.

So, we started the process, which is about 18 months to two years until birth. The financial considerations were a huge part of it. It costs about $160,000 for a surrogacy in California, and one has to pull out all the stops to even have a chance of making it happen.

And unfortunately, our chances appear to have been kaboshed. Two weeks ago I got a call from my accountant. As a self-employed composer and writer, I always pay my estimate tax payments, and I did so last year. But I earned a lot as many of my projects came to fruition, and I unexpectedly have a very big tax bill. Unfortunately paying that bill will completely deplete all of our savings, which were meant for our second surrogacy. I’ve never minded paying tax before, but this time it hit hard. I worked extremely hard to make all that money.

At the same time I had a long chat with my partner’s niece at a family gathering. She is 22 years old, and has three children. The first was born when she was sixteen. She subsequently dropped out of high school. The State of California and the federal government gave her all sorts of benefits because she was a poor single mother, and so she decided to have some more babies.

The father of the second and third is the same, and they have built a nice little family together (he has another daughter too, by another woman). They both work full time jobs but earn very little because neither has a high school diploma. But there’s no ways they’d support their family without those government benefits. That’s what I thought …

I was astonished to learn she recently paid for a boob job, and a new iPad for her son’s birthday, and just bought her mom a TV set. She refers to her partner on Facebook as her husband, but they’re not legally married. I asked why, and she told me many of their single mother benefits would evaporate if they did.

She’s a sweet person and frankly, I don’t think she knows better. In her mind, she’s working hard to support her family. I don’t blame her given her lack of education. I blame the government for setting up benefits in such a way that they create these odd dependencies and actually inspire poor people who can’t afford it to have more children out of wedlock and NOT get married. Most of all, I’m angry because my huge tax bill is going to pay for this type of stuff, when actually I really need the money so I can have another baby in my lovely gay family.

Of course, most of the Republican Party base hates the fact I want to legally marry my partner and have more children with a surrogate. And so yes, right now I’d never ever vote for them. But if they dumped their anti-gay base, and came out with a lower taxes and responsible spending (not necessarily spending cuts) philosophy, I might well find it very tempting.
“Why I Might Become A Gay Republican” The Dish
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #245
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,558
Local Time: 07:27 PM
Unfortunately I'm not sure either party would really address the problem here, that the system appears to have issues. Rather than fix these issues (which I would agree seem unfair and promote dependency on Government), the Dems would talk about the hardships of being a single mother supporting her family (which she is), and cry about why can't SSM be legal. SSM should be legal and benefits should be reviewed to ensure fairness and if it's beneficial.

The GOP, well they'd call this girl a whore (though maybe praise her for not having abortions) and demonize SSM and the rights of gays to be parents.
__________________
BEAL is online now  
Old 04-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #246
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 02:27 PM
it does get at a problem, though, yes? that by supporting our most vulnerable -- uneducated single mothers -- you do create at least a small incentive to become one?

however, i think the boob job and iPad examples are a little extreme and likely atypical, and i don't think that government bennies are all that much to write home about -- and represent a very small amount of taxpayer dollars, especially in comparison to health care spending, for example.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #247
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,272
Local Time: 02:27 PM
There are just a lot of separate things going on in that letter.

With respect to his tax liability, to be perfectly frank it is his own fault for not properly tracking his accounting during the year. Because it sounds like he is not an employee but some form of independent contractor, this effectively means that he doesn't pay tax on his earnings like the rest of us, but pays them in a lumpsum at the end of the year. The fact that he did not keep track of how much he made and budgeted appropriately for his tax bill has nothing to do with his niece's situation. Moreover, he doesn't mention that in fact, unlike the rest of us he has a real, tangible economic benefit to doing his taxes the way he does. It comes down to the time value of money - he gets to keep his entire earnings for a full year, to invest as he pleases (and collect interest, capital gains, etc) before remitting. The rest of us remit weekly/biweekly/whatever the arrangement we have with our employer and therefore we do not benefit from the time value of money, which, by the way, can be very significant at high incomes. So to be honest, this leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, because it sounds like entitlement from a high income earner who didn't bother budgeting, didn't bother checking in with his accountant throughout the year and didn't bother admitting that he gained a financial benefit by virtue of being an independent contractor.

Aside from that, what he is referring to with his niece has little to do with the concept of a welfare state and everything to do with (i) fraud and (ii) lack of oversight. It would appear to me that if the State of California had proper oversight, then two people who are cohabiting unmarried should, for all intents and purposes, be considered a common law partnership to whom single parent benefits are not available. There just isn't enough information in the letter to draw any conclusions - are they living "apart" by using different addresses (fraud and also he should then be paying child support), does she receive child support payments from father #1 (if not, why not and why is the taxpayer shouldering the burden for this man's child?), are they living together but the tax system in California does not require them to file jointly, etc, etc.

It's basically a story on which you can't really intelligently comment without speculating.
__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #248
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 01:27 PM
Really what he's talking about gets RIGHT AT IT.

It's about resentment towards those getting undue slices of the pie.
It's not actually a raw economic argument. It's a fairness argument.
It's really the same sort-of argument the Left makes.

It's all about fairness and who should properly get what.
__________________
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #249
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,558
Local Time: 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
it does get at a problem, though, yes? that by supporting our most vulnerable -- uneducated single mothers -- you do create at least a small incentive to become one?

however, i think the boob job and iPad examples are a little extreme and likely atypical, and i don't think that government bennies are all that much to write home about -- and represent a very small amount of taxpayer dollars, especially in comparison to health care spending, for example.
Yes, i think it points out a problem. I think that's one of the risks for providing aid. You can create dependencies on it, and even encourage those to continue that life on government.

Does this mean every single mother is this way? No. I also agree that not every single mother has more kids to buck the system, and then gets boob jobs or the fancy electronics.

The problem is the potential for that to happen. So what can we do in the government and society to discourage that route?

Another problem too, why so much for the surrogacy? I am not 100% familar with this process, but it seems like a hefty price to pay.
__________________
BEAL is online now  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #250
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,471
Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Another problem too, why so much for the surrogacy? I am not 100% familar with this process, but it seems like a hefty price to pay.


when it's two men, you need, 1) an egg, and 2) a totally separate womb. so it involves two women, and eggs and wombs are much more expensive than sperm.

it's way cheaper to be a lesbian.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #251
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,272
Local Time: 02:27 PM
Here's a good summary of the costs/expenses:

Surrogacy: Gestational Surrogacy (IVF) Estimated Costs
__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Now to this: again and again and again and again and again and again, all you have done is taken quotes from either unreliable or unrepresentative sources that say what you think we are all thinking (see: your quotes from Sharpton and some random freshman from college), or you've taken quotes from more representative and rational sources like our President and twisted them around to fit your agenda. Neither pushes this discussion forward.
Sorry but all those quotes are valid and I use them to illustrate my points. And the president's quote could not have been more clear. I will quote the president again in a minute, so be warned.

Quote:
The fundamental disagreement between the Left and the Right is NOT inequality of outcome. It's cause of inequality. The Left believes that there are many causes of inequality, most commonly nothing other than circumstance. Where you're born, what economic class you're born into, what educational opportunities those things offer you. The Right, as far as I can tell, believes that the people who fall behind are those who don't have the common sense to graduate, get a job, get married and have children, all in that order. That's the difference. Is that not true?
For one thing the further left you go the less desirable ANY income inequality is. As well, the further left you go the more blame for income inequality shifts from the individual’s values and choices to environmental factors such as racism, greed and exploitation. Conservatives believe income inequality is actually desirable, not the point where it should be ignored however. Income disparity provides incentive through reward and profit for hard work and innovation. Profit becoming less desirable the more left one goes also by the way. We recognize that, while all are equal before God and the law, we are not all equal in talents, motivation or desires.

The causes; it’s complex but yes, family dysfunction and poor individual decisions are a major reason. The interesting point about the Charles Murray book is he stripped all race from the study and showed how white America is splitting into a two class culture. Again, many factors but the differences in marriage rates, graduation rates and out-of-wedlock births and church attendance is stunning. Graduation, marriage then children (with civic involvement such as church also important) is simply the ideal that should be expected, encouraged and supported through the culture. It certainly doesn’t mean that some can thrive outside the ideal or that everyone can live up to the ideal. This is where your mocking of “pulling up by the bootstraps” is a strawman of your making. Who says we should not, as a society and individuals, help those trying to help themselves? No one. (provide a quote please) Well there is one person actually, Barack Obama:

Quote:
"Their philosophy is simple: 'We are better off when everyone is left to fend for themselves and play by their own rules.' I am here to say they are wrong," the president said.
First, here is our president, setting up the classic false choice between his compassionate and reasoned stance and a caricature of conservatives. Second, no nation on earth donates more time or money privately than the U.S. to assist the needy, sick or homeless so our president demagogues. And third, enough with defining ANY opposition (moral, effectiveness or financial) to more government spending as [fill in the blank] fend-for-themselves, anti-poor, mean-spirited, anti-black, anti-child, throw-granny-off-the-cliff, etc. Another trait found the further left you go is smearing dissention replaces debate.

As a society we should praise self-reliance and marriage* and stigmatize sloth and entitlement (sorry but libertarianism and a welfare state can’t coexist for long). We should work for true equality of opportunity by improving education (now who fights to get children out of failed schools with vouchers and school choice and who fights for teachers unions and blocks those measures?) and providing optimal economic conditions for growth that benefits everyone. The "shared prosperity" of liberty not the shared prosperity of politicians and bureaucratic design. We should celebrate success not demonize it. We should encourage entrepreneurship not strangle it with more and more regulations and taxes. And the last thing we should do is raise the minimum wage. At least for teenagers we should eliminate it, unless of course you think unemployment rates of 25% (higher for black teens) is acceptable.

Quote:
Here we are in Obama's second term and where have we gotten? We've made some small progress, but ultimately not very far. Why? Because the GOP spent the last four years ignoring the interests of the citizens that elected them in hopes that the lack of economic progress in this country could be pinned on the president.
It’s always someone else’s, anyone else’s, fault but Barack Obama, his policies or his priorities.

* as defined by all major religions and civilization throughout all previous generations prior to our current generation.
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #253
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,020
Local Time: 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Graduation, marriage then children (with civic involvement such a church also important) is simply the ideal that should be expected, encouraged and supported through the culture.
Gotta agree with JT, this is almost like self-parody.

Your minimum wage comments are a disgrace. Being an Australian, it was a shock to come to the States and find young people working for such piss-poor money. No wonder tipping is such a huge part of your culture.

How can you say one must be self-sufficient and work hard on one hand and then say minimum wage should be abolished on the other? I met waiters who were getting paid an absolute pittance. That doesn't help anyone.
__________________
cobl04 is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #254
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
It's awfully convenient of you to just decide that "the Left" is a homogenous mass that engages in lockstep groupthink.
Well, I went out of my way to state that classic liberals or Democrats may not hold all the views of Leftism but Leftism is certainly taking over the Democratic party.


Quote:
Well if this is one of the facts then I suppose you could've said the exact same thing during the second Bush term. Hey... why weren't you up in arms then?
Are you sure about that? I remember posting that the GOP deserved to lose the House in 06 because of their spending and I can tell you that I did not vote for Bush in 04.
Quote:
When you need to take immediate action to save the country from the 2nd great depression, you will incur some deficits.
Actually the recession was over 6 months into his presidency and TARP and those drastic measures all occurred while Bush was still president. Yet the spending continues and continues.

Quote:
So high they would return to the same level back when... we had a balanced budget and the rich were still increasing their wealth at a much higher rate than anyone else in the country.
And we had a sane GOP congress and a president declaring "The era of big government is over."

I'd take Gingrich and Clinton over Boehner and Obama in a heartbeat.
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #255
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Gotta agree with JT, this is almost like self-parody.
Really, you wouldn't teach your children that? If no why, because you don't think it true? If yes then why not teach all children that?

Quote:
Your minimum wage comments are a disgrace. Being an Australian, it was a shock to come to the States and find young people working for such piss-poor money. No wonder tipping is such a huge part of your culture.
“The real minimum wage is zero: unemployment.” — Thomas Sowell
__________________

__________________
INDY500 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com