United States of Entropy - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
I really don't understand how capitalism has become some form of moral value, it can be good and bad but it is not the be all and end all of all human existence.
Sure, you're right, capitalism is just a word as is justice or democracy or science for that matter. They must be supported by personal values and ethics. Again, that's why the Founders to a man stressed that our Constitution and form of government could only function within a society where marriage, religion, industriousness and honesty were valued and practiced. I ask you, are those pillars strengthening or weakening?

Old 02-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #167
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:13 PM
Weakening in the Red states, strengthening in the blues.

But what does what you've convinced yourself a few men said 230+ years ago have to do with anything?

Sounds like someone's worshipping some false idols.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #168
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
marriage, religion, industriousness and honesty were valued and practiced. I ask you, are those pillars strengthening or weakening?
neutral
weakening on a large scale, possibly strengthening on the personal (doesn't make it real though)
strengthening
strengthening

edit: after reading Irvine's reply, I might have misinterpreted the question (if you add the words "to a nation" after the sentence, you'll see how I read it). I'll leave my answers up anyway
Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #169
Blue Crack Addict

INDY, let me just say that I hate your signature, since you're not going to reply to my post. The idea that valuing equality means spitting on liberty is such a perfect example of your ass-backwards view of the people you disagree with so fervently. It's really difficult to maintain an argument when you don't bother trying to understand where we are coming from.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #170
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

And you wonder how I can state, regrettably, with such certitude that this country will be in a worse place 4 years from now... Look who's in the bridge charting the course !!

Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #171
Blue Crack Addict

Great post! #terrific!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
INDY, let me just say that I hate your signature, since you're not going to reply to my post. The idea that valuing equality means spitting on liberty is such a perfect example of your ass-backwards view of the people you disagree with so fervently. It's really difficult to maintain an argument when you don't bother trying to understand where we are coming from.
You hate my signature? Odd coming from someone named PhilsFan whose team has in its own logo the, wait for it... Liberty Bell (note the name).

In fact, how many buildings in Philadelphia have the name Liberty in them compared to Equality? You get the point. Now I'm more than happy to respond because your "hate" arises, I think, because we understand and strive for a different definition of equality.

Equality--as understood when the Liberty bell was still being rung--was that of a natural (or God given) right to live freely under self-government, to acquire and keep property (including wages) gained through one's own labor and enterprise and to be treated without prejudice before the law. That all men are created equal before the law and before God but that inequality is the natural state of man because each individual is born with unique talents and strengths and therefore some will prosper or succeed more than others. We have the right "to pursue happiness," not a right to happiness.

These are high ideals but we are mere men so grave injustices and base prejudices have, are and will always exist. The promise of the Constitution, the blindfolded Lady Justice and of natural law demands redress in these cases but when taken too far you have the equality of the Left.

The equality of the Left is not that of equality of opportunity but of equality of economic and social outcomes. The Left envisions an egalitarian society with an ever growing government leveling the playing field through "social justice" and redistribution schemes, i.e., authoritarian collectivism. This form of equality, over time, creates a culture of uniformity and dependence and crushes individual initiative, self-reliance, risk-taking and independence that can only thrive when men live free. Extreme example, North Korea. Now that's a country where equality reigns.

I should also note one way in which liberty or freedom is defined differently. The freedom of the founders was the "freedom from harassment." This is enumerated in the negative rights of the first ten amendments. The Left from FDR to present pushes "freedom from want" through the Welfare State. This was first enumerated in FDR's Second Bill of Rights if you doubt me.

In short, you can't be for; big government, a progressive tax-code, affirmative action, minimum and equal wage laws, quotas, positive rights, etc without realizing they come at a cost... that of liberty.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #173
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:43 AM
Quote:
Extreme example, North Korea. Now that's a country where equality reigns.
Still a class society, I don't see how you found any equality there.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #174
ONE
love, blood, life

I feel like the old "not adam and steve" line fits on Indy's sig right after the statue of liberty one.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I feel like the old "not adam and steve" line fits on Indy's sig right after the statue of liberty one.
I feel the Statue of Liberty one fits the same way.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #176
ONE
love, blood, life

Liam Lynch - United States Of Whatever OFFICIAL VIDEO - YouTube
Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #177
Blue Crack Addict

Now that the Dow is at record highs and the unemployment rate is the lowest it's been in 4 years, are we going to chalk that up to Obama at all? Did you read the details of the employment report? More people are working more hours at higher wages. Additionally, anyone following the housing market knows that we are also seeing increased housing prices in the US. Conclusion? The labour market is improving and the quality of economic growth is improving as well.

As a Canadian, I'm dumping my excess Cdn currency for the US dollar.

Again, will INDY credit the President with any of this? Doubtful.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #178
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:13 PM
True, these are good signs.

But cuts as a result of the sequester could bring more unemployment. Not that I'm being a Debbie Downer, but I'm not too excited yet.

But I also don't think it spells the end of America.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #179
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:13 AM
yes, America and Americans are exceptional, even with the cards stacked against us
we rise
imagine how much higher, with good leadership,

just sayin'
keep buyin' dollars

Quote:
The U.S. unemployment rate is down, but that is because many Americans have given up looking for a job.
the Democratic base is expanding, ( that 47% is a grower )
Old 03-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #180
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:13 AM
Quote:
And you wonder how I can state, regrettably, with such certitude that this country will be in a worse place 4 years from now... Look who's in the bridge charting the course !!

you are right, not all that much to look at

but in 2014, we can upgrade the one on the end.