United 93 -- The Movie - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2006, 10:48 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:11 AM
I won't pay $ to see this film. I go to the movies for entertainment. I don't find this subject entertaining. I find it too sad and way too scary.

Perhaps I will watch it one day at home, but no time soon.

I knew people who perished that day and my mother was in her office building (140 West street) across the street and it was heavily damaged from the blast and she was metnally scarred from what she saw in her evacuation route. And I was petrified waiting to hear if she was ok.

My opinion is that it is too soon. But to each their own.

Old 04-28-2006, 06:12 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

I'm so sorry Numb about the people you knew who died that day, I can't even imagine what it was like that day for your Mother.

I didn't think I would see it, I just did. I was nervous and upset before it even started. Beware-it is not a sanitized TV movie, it is in your face and as real as it can be. It was a very emotional experience for me, and as difficult as it was for me I would still never say I wish I hadn't seen it. Something in my head and heart was telling me to see it. I am even more in awe of the passengers on that plane and I will be forever.

The late matinee I went to was very well attended w/ a mix of all different ages of people.

My only criticism of the movie was the music, it wasn't needed.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:05 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:11 AM
^
The use of music was interesting. I think there's about twenty minutes where there's no music, and I remember thinking, "Nice choice -- maybe they won't use it at all." I was surprised when it came in. I agree, it probably could have done without it.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:58 PM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i don't know... i'll probably go see it by myself at like a matinee. it's certainly not a "date" movie, that's for sure.
I'll probably do the same. It's going to be a rough movie, but like Schindler's List, it is a story that needs to be told and learned from.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:31 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Well,

my date took a raincheck

so I can drive up the hill
and watch this tonight

I hope I don't walkout
like I did on the Passion
Old 04-29-2006, 03:34 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

i thought it was pretty good

the music, drums (for suspense) did not bother me too much

I found this movie much less exploitative than so many other things that I have seen about 911

it is hard to say exactly what happened on flight 93

it seems there are some that believe the passengers decided to crash the plane and sacrifice themselves for a greater good

the film suggest they were trying to take the plane back with the hope of landing it. (much more plausible)
Old 04-29-2006, 09:56 AM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

It's very well done. It does not push any agenda, it does not exploit the passengers-it tells their story with respect and dignity. If you think you can handle it I would urge everyone to see it. It makes you feel like you are on the plane with those people, and that is what it should do. The phone calls to their loved ones are extremely tough to take, but again done with so much respect. I'm very impressed that the director was able to make the movie that way.

You don't even know the passengers' names other than recognizing them from media attention that some of them received. They are realistically depicted, not made into some sort of cartoon superheroes. They are all unknown actors-there is one guy who has a recurring role on Boston Legal. I never realized it was him until I saw him on Larry King last night.

Roger Ebert's review, and he makes a good point-don't be fooled by the trailer

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...VIEWS/60419006
Old 04-29-2006, 10:03 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

CREW

Jason Dahl, 43, from Denver, Colorado, was the plane's captain. He had a wife and son. Dahl had a lifelong interest in flying, said his aunt, Maxine Atkinson, of Waterloo, Iowa.

Leroy Homer, 36, from Marlton, New Jersey, was the first officer on board. He was married and had a daughter.

Lorraine Bay was a flight attendant.

Sandra Bradshaw, 38, of Greensboro, North Carolina, was a flight attendant.

Wanda Green was a flight attendant.

CeeCee Lyles of Fort Myers, Florida, was a flight attendant. She reached her husband, Lorne, by cell phone to tell him that she loved him and their children before the plane went down. The couple between them had four children.

Deborah Welsh was a flight attendant.

PASSENGERS

Christian Adams

Todd Beamer, 32, was from Cranbury, New Jersey.

Alan Beaven, 48, of Oakland, California, was an environmental lawyer.

Mark Bingham, 31, of San Francisco owned a public relations firm, the Bingham Group. He called his mother, Alice Hoglan, 15 minutes before the plane crashed and told her that the plane had been taken over by three men who claimed to have a bomb. Hoglan said her son told her that some passengers planned to try to regain control of the plane. "He said, 'I love you very, very much, ' " Hoglan said.

Deora Bodley, 20, of Santa Clara, California, was a university student.

Marion Britton

Thomas E. Burnett Jr., 38, of San Ramon, California, was a senior vice president and chief operating officer of Thoratec Corp., a medical research and development company, and the father of three. He made four calls to his wife, Deena, from the plane. Deena Burnett said that her husband told her that one passenger had been stabbed and that "a group of us are going to do something." He also told her that the people on board knew about the attack on the World Trade Center, apparently through other phone calls.

William Cashman

Georgine Corrigan

Joseph Deluca

Patrick Driscoll

Edward Felt, 41, was from Matawan, New Jersey.

Colleen Fraser

Andrew Garcia

Jeremy Glick, 31, from West Milford, New Jersey, called his wife, Liz, and in-laws in New York on a cell phone to tell them the plane had been hijacked, Joanne Makely, Glick's mother-in-law, told CNN. Glick said that one of the hijackers "had a red box he said was a bomb, and one had a knife of some nature," Makely said. Glick asked Makely if the reports about the attacks on the World Trade Center were true, and she told him they were. He left the phone for a while, returning to say, "The men voted to attack the terrorists," Makely said.

Lauren Grandcolas of San Rafael, California, was a sales worker at Good Housekeeping magazine.

Donald F. Green, 52, was from Greenwich, Connecticut.

Linda Gronlund

Richard Guadagno, 38, of Eureka, California, was the manager of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge.

Toshiya Kuge

Waleska Martinez

Nicole Miller

Mark Rothenberg

Christine Snyder, 32, was from Kailua, Hawaii. She was an arborist for the Outdoor Circle and was returning from a conference in Washington. She had been married less than a year.

John Talignani

Honor Wainio
Old 04-30-2006, 12:59 PM   #54
Refugee

Local Time: 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
CREW

Jason Dahl, 43, from Denver, Colorado, was the plane's captain. He had a wife and son. Dahl had a lifelong interest in flying, said his aunt, Maxine Atkinson, of Waterloo, Iowa.

Leroy Homer, 36, from Marlton, New Jersey, was the first officer on board. He was married and had a daughter.

Lorraine Bay was a flight attendant.

Sandra Bradshaw, 38, of Greensboro, North Carolina, was a flight attendant.

Wanda Green was a flight attendant.

CeeCee Lyles of Fort Myers, Florida, was a flight attendant. She reached her husband, Lorne, by cell phone to tell him that she loved him and their children before the plane went down. The couple between them had four children.

Deborah Welsh was a flight attendant.

PASSENGERS

Christian Adams

Todd Beamer, 32, was from Cranbury, New Jersey.

Alan Beaven, 48, of Oakland, California, was an environmental lawyer.

Mark Bingham, 31, of San Francisco owned a public relations firm, the Bingham Group. He called his mother, Alice Hoglan, 15 minutes before the plane crashed and told her that the plane had been taken over by three men who claimed to have a bomb. Hoglan said her son told her that some passengers planned to try to regain control of the plane. "He said, 'I love you very, very much, ' " Hoglan said.

Deora Bodley, 20, of Santa Clara, California, was a university student.

Marion Britton

Thomas E. Burnett Jr., 38, of San Ramon, California, was a senior vice president and chief operating officer of Thoratec Corp., a medical research and development company, and the father of three. He made four calls to his wife, Deena, from the plane. Deena Burnett said that her husband told her that one passenger had been stabbed and that "a group of us are going to do something." He also told her that the people on board knew about the attack on the World Trade Center, apparently through other phone calls.

William Cashman

Georgine Corrigan

Joseph Deluca

Patrick Driscoll

Edward Felt, 41, was from Matawan, New Jersey.

Colleen Fraser

Andrew Garcia

Jeremy Glick, 31, from West Milford, New Jersey, called his wife, Liz, and in-laws in New York on a cell phone to tell them the plane had been hijacked, Joanne Makely, Glick's mother-in-law, told CNN. Glick said that one of the hijackers "had a red box he said was a bomb, and one had a knife of some nature," Makely said. Glick asked Makely if the reports about the attacks on the World Trade Center were true, and she told him they were. He left the phone for a while, returning to say, "The men voted to attack the terrorists," Makely said.

Lauren Grandcolas of San Rafael, California, was a sales worker at Good Housekeeping magazine.

Donald F. Green, 52, was from Greenwich, Connecticut.

Linda Gronlund

Richard Guadagno, 38, of Eureka, California, was the manager of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Humboldt Bay National Wildlife Refuge.

Toshiya Kuge

Waleska Martinez

Nicole Miller

Mark Rothenberg

Christine Snyder, 32, was from Kailua, Hawaii. She was an arborist for the Outdoor Circle and was returning from a conference in Washington. She had been married less than a year.

John Talignani

Honor Wainio
Thank you for that list.

I have to tell you guys that I'm in tears just READING about this movie and I have no doubt that I'll be very blurry-eyed when I see it.

Another thing that saddens me terribly is that the ashes of those monster terrorists are forever mingled with the ashes of the innocents they murdered.

May G-d rest the souls of United 93 and all victims of 9/11.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:20 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

I'm pleased (weird to say and I don't mean it quite that way) that it did so well, I hope it will continue to do so. I didn't know age 30 and above skews "old" either

(Reuters) "United 93," the first Hollywood movie to deal with the events of September 11, was No. 2 at the weekend box office in North America with respectable ticket sales of $11.6 million, according to studio estimates issued on Sunday.

The new Robin Williams comedy "RV" drove off with the top prize, selling about $16.4 million worth of tickets for the three days beginning Friday, while the teen gymnast drama "Stick It" opened at No. 3 with $11.3 million.

"United 93" is a dramatization of the events surrounding the flight that crashed in a Pennsylvania field after passengers fought back against the hijackers.

But its tough subject matter made it difficult to forecast how the film would open and there were reports that pre-release surveys indicated that female filmgoers had little interest in it. As it turned out, women slightly outdrew men, 52 percent to 48 percent, according to exit surveys.

"LOUD AND CLEAR"

"I think Americans have spoken loud and clear, that they were ready for a film like this," said Nikki Rocco, president of domestic theatrical distribution at Universal, a unit of General Electric Co.'s NBC Universal Inc.

Rocco said the studio had had no expectations for the film's box office performance. It "wasn't the first and foremost aspect of producing the film," she said.

The film did skew old, though, with exit surveys showing that 71 percent of viewers were aged 30 and above. The film received a grade of "very good" or "excellent" from 95 percent of respondents (the norm is 80 percent), while 76 percent would definitely recommend it (the norm is 55 percent), the studio said.

About 51 percent of people showed up with their spouse while 11 percent of viewers showed up on a date.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:47 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

About 51 percent of people showed up with their spouse while 11 percent of viewers showed up on a date.

I saw it Friday evening. None of my friends were willing to go with me; they all said it was much too early for a movie like this. I can understand their logic, but I felt compelled to see it -- I guess because the issues surrounding it (terrorism, security...peace) are things that buzz around my head everyday anyway.

The movie just underscored all of those things, and breathed life into the newspaper reports and sometimes slanted coverage we've all seen. At times, I felt like a voyuer, which was unsettlling. Even before the movie, as I was lining-up for the ticket, the "United 93" title on the display board grabbed my eye. It looked like an image a passenger would've seen on that day, as they waited to board their flight.

It was interesting to see who did go to the movie...a mix of really old, young, and a few people in wheelchairs...an eclectic mix for a new release.

In my view, the film is far from exploitative, and something I highly recommend. In that plane, there were real lessons for humanity--parallels and principles that link all of us, rather than divide. Two days after seeing it, the ending is still haunting me, even though it has been securely etched in history for the past four years. I desperately wanted someone to grab the controls of that plane and stop the inevitable waste and senselessness of it all.

I guess I see United 93 as a kind of symbol...a microcosm of the best and worst of us under one roof. Beyond the easy targets of faith, or ethnicity, it's ignorance and misunderstanding on all fronts that will truly undermine our ability to soar.

Easily the best, most moving, and important movie I've seen this year.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:31 AM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'd like to see this film. But, I doubt they'll bring out here to Saipan.

But we've got RV.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:58 AM   #58
Refugee

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
^
The use of music was interesting. I think there's about twenty minutes where there's no music, and I remember thinking, "Nice choice -- maybe they won't use it at all." I was surprised when it came in. I agree, it probably could have done without it.
I haven't seen the movie (and won't now since I am taking a plane on Friday), but one of the most powerful aspects of 'Bloody Sunday' (another one of Greengrass' movies, and I HIGHLY recommend it) was it's use (or lack) of music.

It's an incredible movie, all done in a very realistic way, and there is no music whatsoever during the entire movie. Then during the credits at the end they play this amazing live version of Sunday Bloody Sunday, from some bootleg I can't identify (but it's from the Joshua Tree era). Unbelievable. It was so powerful I couldn't stop crying.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by oceane

I haven't seen the movie (and won't now since I am taking a plane on Friday), but one of the most powerful aspects of 'Bloody Sunday' (another one of Greengrass' movies, and I HIGHLY recommend it) was it's use (or lack) of music.

I rented this last year...incredible. U2 at the end was very fitting, and powerful.

With both of these films, it's amazing how the viewer is tugged through the events depicted. It's almost as if you're planted in time as an observer--with the moral judgements left up to you to decipher. That's a great strength.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I recently went to go see Inside Man in a packed NYC theater.

Don't know how many of you have seen a movie in NYC, but the place was packed, everyone was amped up to see the movie and everyone was talking to each other.

The lights went down, and on came a trailer for U93. People kept talking, and then out of nowhere was a clip showing the actual footage of the second flight hitting the World Trade Center.

Needless to say the place went silent seeing this on a big screen in front of their faces. Then, came the boos.

My own opinion is that it is way too soon for a movie like this, and just makes me think how disconnected Hollywood is. For those of us that were there, it was like a punch in the stomach seeing that image up on the screen.

I was truly shocked by it because I was not expecting that trailer, and it brought a tear to my wife's eye because we were there, and she lost a friend in the tower they showed on the screen.

I think using that trailer, especially in New York City is a bit shallow, and distasteful.

Now, I know the movie is about the heroics on that flight, but when I saw that trailer it hit way too close to home. For me, and the other 200 or so others in that theater.

I will not be seeing this movie, as I agree with those here, that I pay for entertainment, and I do not find this subject entertaining. I could not imagine going to see that film and having someone sit next to me munching away on popcorn, or Goobers.

Sorry - just my two cents.