United 93 -- The Movie - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2006, 08:11 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500
In the 40's Hollywood supported the war effort and churned out dozens of pro-America, pro-Allied pictures. War bonds were sold in theater lobbies. And people flocked to the movies. Fast forword to 2006 and Hollywood is staunchly anti-war, considers George Bush the enemy and actually awards Oscars to the movies that show the United States in the worst light.
Hollywood still churns out propaganda films. "Independence Day" and "Armageddon" were two notable examples in the mid-to-late 1990s.

I wish I could give you more modern examples, but I avoid manipulative tripe like the plague now that I'm older. And just for the record, I avoid manipulative tripe on the left too (i.e., "Super Size Me").

Melon

Old 04-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Anyway, it sounds like a good movie, but I'm not sure I want to see it either. Coincindentally, I've spent the last couple days going through the CBS feed tapes from 9/11 for a news promotion, and, frankly, I can't think of anything more chilling than that.

But as for the movie being made, good for the director. I imagine it'll be a good movie to see someday when I'm less haunted.

Melon

Old 04-25-2006, 08:45 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:15 PM
I really want to see this movie, not for voyeuristic reasons, but because I still haven't resolved what happened on September 11. I believe documentary film-making, when it's done well, can be extremely effective. It can really act as a tool in contemplating both the human condition and all the cruel and senseless things we too often do to one another.

I also find it intriguing that the movie will be in real-time, without editorializing, or going into the back-story of any of the passengers. From what I gather, we'll simply see a snapshot in time -- it will be up to the viewer to attach any sort of meaning to what's taking place.

As far as it being too early to produce such a film, I can certainly empathize with those who feel this way. If you're an American, or have any sort of tangible connection to the events through family or friends, it will be a difficult thing to watch. From my Canadian perspective, however, I really feel we need to accelerate a greater communication between all parties and cultures involved in the events of 9/11. It seems as though many people (and politicians) have retreated from this discussion, replacing it with rigid opinions and stereotypes.

I think this film will be difficult to see, but also too important to miss.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:54 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 02:45 AM
Quote:
Hollywood patriots in the 40's;
Two of it's biggest stars, Jimmy Stewart & Clark Gable, enlist and fly bombing missions over Germany.

Hollywood patriots of today;
Michael Moore, Sean Penn, Tim Robbins and George Clooney bravely protest the war from their California mansions.
Michael Moore doesn't live in California
Old 04-25-2006, 09:20 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

I am going to see it with the father of someone who died that day. I am not sure when we are going, probably before it leaves so it will be more private.

I would not see it otherwise. He and I shoveled dirt to build a peace garden in his daughter's memory.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:48 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Why not go see it?

We live in a world drenched in evil.

Have you heard any news lately on the war in Uganda?
*twenty years and counting...*

We miss so much keeping an eye on Tom Cruise or ....
Old 04-25-2006, 11:06 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Yet another unnecessary commentary from the armchair generals.

Melon
Just an observation. There's a reason that those that fought and won WWII are called The Greatest Generation. They recognized a threat and they were willing to make ANY sacrifice to stop it.
That's what happened aboard United 93.

From a Dennis Prager column:

"If anything should be controversial, it is Hollywood going AWOL while its country fights the scourge of our time, Islamic totalitarianism. For five years, America has been battling people who are dedicated to destroying every value that Hollywood claims to care most about -- freedom, tolerance, women's rights, secular government, equality for gays -- and Hollywood has yet to make a film depicting, let alone honoring, this war."
Old 04-25-2006, 11:24 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Just an observation. There's a reason that those that fought and won WWII are called The Greatest Generation. They recognized a threat and they were willing to make ANY sacrifice to stop it.
That's what happened aboard United 93.

From a Dennis Prager column:

"If anything should be controversial, it is Hollywood going AWOL while its country fights the scourge of our time, Islamic totalitarianism. For five years, America has been battling people who are dedicated to destroying every value that Hollywood claims to care most about -- freedom, tolerance, women's rights, secular government, equality for gays -- and Hollywood has yet to make a film depicting, let alone honoring, this war."
I'm not against criticism. I just thought that particular one was pretty "hit-and-run" about it.

The trouble is with that Prager comment, what kind of film is Hollywood supposed to make? Demographics are very different now when compared to WWII. American audiences are extremely escapist nowadays, not unlike the filmgoing audiences of the Great Depression. Chances are, if Hollywood made a bunch of films about war, people would just tune out. If they want to deal with the war on terrorism, all they have to do is turn on the TV. Of course, back in the 1940s, there was no TV.

It is not about being anti-American as much as Hollywood exists to make money. That's certainly not unlike any of the GOP's campaign contributors, so I find it very hard to swallow such rhetoric as being genuine.

Melon
Old 04-26-2006, 12:08 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't know that any generation is "Greater" or less than any other generation.

"The Greatest Generation" did show some remarkable commitment to fighting facism. . .after Pearl Harbor was attacked anyway. The "Greatest Generation" by and large stood by while a U.S. citizens had their property virutally confisicated and were placed in camps. While some members of "The Greatest Generation" fought and died to stop Hitler's racist regime their families back home had to sit at the back of the bus and couldn't vote in local elections.

On the other hand, just five years ago, some this generation's "self-indulgent" and "unwilling to sacrifice" members acted to stop terrorists from crashing yet another plane, others went in to burning buildings to save lives.

I don't say this to disrespect those who fought for our country (or those who refused to for conscience sake). My father in law is a veteran. I met over 100 veterans who, during World War II, fought on the island where I live now, and that was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

But. . .

Perhaps, people are just people. Maybe the "conventional wisdom" of society changes. Maybe what causes Hollywood chooses to champion change. (And by the way, Hollywood has always existed to make money. They make what sells. Period.). But at the end of the day people are people, capable of great heroism, capable of great cowardice.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:16 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Melon
You make some valid and extremely interesting points. I'd expect no less from someone who acknowledges the genius of the great Orson Wells. I just hope people will give the movie a look, if not at the cinema, than on DVD.

A la prochaine fois
Old 04-26-2006, 12:42 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Make it a money making proposition and Hollywood would "honor" just about anything.

Tools like Prater can't see the forrest for their own agenda.
Hollywood cares about making money more than some so-called political agenda.

Like so many of his peers, Prater probably blasted Hollywood for 'promoting' homosexuality with Brokeback or Capote.

Brokeback had a budget of 14 mill and has made 83 mill in return
Capote had a budget of 7 mill and has made 28 million in return

Now let's think of war movies, the most recent being Jarhead (that I could think of)
budget of 70 million and a has made 62 million, a loss

It's like everything else, it's about money.
This United 93 movie, as much as I try and put cynicism aside, is about that as well. There was a Flight 93 movie on A&E a few months ago, it was good, why wasn't this enough of a tribute?
Gotta go for the cash grab, low budgets (15 mill), large audience=$$$, maybe they should donate everything above the costs to charities, if this is really about a tribute.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:51 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Quote:
Hey. Hey. Give it to me. Give it to me.

Give it to me. Give it to me. Give it to me.
Give it to me. Give it to me. Give it to me.

Allah is the Greatest
Allah is the Greatest
Allah is the Greatest
Allah is the Greatest
Allah is the Greatest

No
Allah is the Greatest
Allah is the Greatest

I wonder if they include evidence that it was a faith based initiative
Old 04-26-2006, 08:02 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I am going to see it with the father of someone who died that day.
I'm sure that will be a special experience. I am so sorry for his loss.

As weird as it probably sounds to some people I still think of that day and those people almost every day. It will just randomly come into my mind or some everyday thing will trigger it.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #29
War Child

Local Time: 12:45 PM
I'm planning to see this movie. I'm sure I'll cry all the way through it but I think it's important - and a part of history.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.variety.com/VR1117942055.html

"A wrenching reminder of 9/11 was surrounded with red-carpet hoopla at the world premiere of "United 93," which kicked off the fifth edition of the Tribeca film fest Tuesday at GothamGotham's Ziegfeld theater.

After the film's devastating final scene, the screen abruptly went dark and a cacophony of loud, uncontrollable sobs could be heard coming from the back of the theater, where many of the nearly 100 family members of 9/11 victims were seated.

Some were seeing the film for the first time. As more than 1,100 viewers filed out, a funereal silence filled the theater.

And as the sobbing continued after the screening, there were sounds of other people comforting the family members and taking them outside."