Unique Sentence For Assault On Girlfriend - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:37 AM
Unique Sentence For Assault On Girlfriend

I don't know exactly how that could be enforced, I guess they will have to strictly monitor all of the guy's social interactions. Of course it all hinges upon him getting the proper help, and the help working.

PETERBOROUGH, Ontario (AP) -- A judge has ruled that a 24-year-old Canadian man is not allowed to have a girlfriend for the next three years.

The ruling came after Steven Cranley pleaded guilty on Tuesday to several charges stemming from an assault on a former girlfriend.

Cranley, who has been diagnosed with a dependent personality disorder, attacked his girlfriend in an argument after their breakup.

He tried to prevent her from phoning the police by cutting her phone cord and punched and kicked her. He finally stabbed himself with a butcher knife when police did arrive, puncturing his aorta.

Doctors say Cranley has difficulty coping with rejection and runs a high risk to re-offend if he becomes involved in another intimate relationship.

Justice Rhys Morgan said Cranley "cannot form a romantic relationship of an intimate nature with a female person.

"That is the only way I can see the protection of the public is in place until you get the counseling you need."

Cranley had already served 146 days in pre-trail custody, which Morgan said was enough jail time in this case.

His lawyer says the no girlfriend order is the first of its kind that he has encountered.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Re: Unique Sentence For Assault On Girlfriend

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

He tried to prevent her from phoning the police by cutting her phone cord and punched and kicked her. He finally stabbed himself with a butcher knife when police did arrive, puncturing his aorta.

Doctors say Cranley has difficulty coping with rejection and runs a high risk to re-offend if he becomes involved in another intimate relationship.
Jesus. Apparently so.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:37 PM
Re: Unique Sentence For Assault On Girlfriend

The man needs a lot of help.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

PETERBOROUGH, Ontario (AP) -- A judge has ruled that a 24-year-old Canadian man is not allowed to have a girlfriend for the next three years.

But seriously, where do these judges come up with this shit? How in the world do you expect to execute this?

I know men who haven't had "girlfriends" in over a decade, yet still have relationships...
Old 06-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Well I would assume it is open to a wider interpretation by the courts, otherwise women would be in danger being in any sort of contact with him in which they were alone and violence was possible if he sensed rejection, etc. And how do you define that in someone who behaves like that?

It does say "cannot form a romantic relationship of an intimate nature with a female person." What the exact definition of that is is subject to interpretation and it must be expanded upon in the ruling. Personally I wouldn't even want to be friends with a guy like him if it involved being alone with him and in certain situations, if I knew about his problems. And women can also be wary depending upon personal experiences they've had.

At least perhaps this shows that a judge is taking steps to take such a case seriously and try to protect women, whether it can work remains to be seen.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
But seriously, where do these judges come up with this shit?
Cranley: Hey, your honor, may I approach the bench?
Judge: OK.
Cranley: Listen, I need a favor. I'll plead guilty and we can all get outof here quick. But, I need you do to something for me...
Judge: And what would that be?

10 minutes later:

Judge: Mr. Cranley is hearby found guilty. And he cannot have a girlfriend for 3 years.
Cranley: YE-...uh...Oh no? That is very harsh, your honor. How will I ever live...oh gosh golly. I'm sure bummed out now...oh well....sup laidies. How YOU doin'? Nah, i ain't afraid of commitment, it's just that I ain't allowed. Allll riiiight.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:37 AM
I wish I could keep a former boyfriend away from me like that. It would save me a phone call.