Unconditional love - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2005, 04:36 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:47 PM
Unconditional love

Is there such a thing in this world? (OK, I might give a pass to some parents having unconditional love for their children)

Unconditional--no limits, no exceptions. This other person can do anything and you will still love them, including not love you back.

Is this something to which we can aspire? Is this something to which we should aspire? Or is the best we can achieve almost unconditional?

Are there people you love unconditionally? Are there many of them?

Old 06-04-2005, 04:37 AM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:47 AM
Does it exist? Yes.

Have I seen it? Yes

Is it easy? Heeellllllllllllll Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2005, 08:31 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:47 AM
does it exist? possibly- but only from a parent to their child (id imagine, since i dont have kids!)

i dont think i love anyone unconditionally. although there are plenty of people who i forgive over and over every f**kin time even when they dont deserve it. i dont know if that counts as "unconditional love" though. just me being a pushover i might love my dad unconditionally, maybe, but thats about it.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's most common in parent-child relationships. Also, this is dumb, but I'm pretty sure I love my cat unconditionally. He's just an animal who cares only about food, treats, and having his chin scratched so I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually love me back. He likes to run away and sometimes he's quite mean and naughty, but I still love him!
Old 06-04-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:47 AM
The parent child relationship is a great example - especially with young children.

It exists, it is possible, but it goes against our sinful nature.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:12 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:47 PM
I love my parents unconditionally. Sure, we have disagreements and disputes, but that's normal for any relationship. If we never had disagreements, we'd all be apathetic about the relationship and just wouldn't give a damn about the important things in life. We all do give a damn, thus the disagreements.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:09 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I think it's most common in parent-child relationships. Also, this is dumb, but I'm pretty sure I love my cat unconditionally. He's just an animal who cares only about food, treats, and having his chin scratched so I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually love me back. He likes to run away and sometimes he's quite mean and naughty, but I still love him!
hmm, now that i think about it, i may love my dog unconditionally. even when he does disgusting things like eat cute little bunnies, i still love him.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:27 PM   #8
Acrobat

Yeah, pet love. I love my cat. Sheds, barfs, filthy stinky cat box, claws, brain-the-size-of-a-walnut, but I love the little monster anyway.

But it's easier with animals; the rarely beat you up, steal your money, wreck your car, gossip about you behind your back, or steal your boyfriend. And even if they kill someone, it's usually someone with four legs and buck teeth, so nobody cares.

Brothers and sisters: they have stolen from me, called me names, gossiped about me behind my back, at times we've mutually treated each other like crap but...

I love them. If anything happened to any of them, I would be devastated, even if it was that vicious ho I'm not talking to this year.

But outside of family, I don't know if unconditional love can exist.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

As Christ hung dying on the cross, he said of those who put him there, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

That's pretty unconditional.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:31 PM   #10
Refugee

Can it exist though? I mean, parents should always love their children, or else they wouldn't think to have them... but then again, accidents can happen which then in any case you should love them because you helped create them.

But can it exist though? If that child, even if you were careful and planned to have this child, and rear it giving it everything in the world, making sure that they have a great life-- and when they grow up, just go out, drink and just sleep around. Should you then love them? Even if they spit and curse at you calling you every name in the book (or blaming you for everything that went wrong in their lives)?

I mean I don't have children, I'm leaning towards having one someday (in quite a while as I'm only going to turn 20 ) but I've seen that senario in which the mother just gets abused by her good for nothing daughter and still loves her (by giving her food and letting her stay the night at the house whenever she decides to drop in to leech).

So I don't know, when I look at her senario, I can't help but be extremely angry. Why should the mother still love this when she doesn't really have to? I mean, when she turned 18 and ran out that door promising never to return, if I was the mother, I'd wipe my hands of her. She's caused enough trouble already... no need to die by heart attack because of worrying about her.

But then again, that's what unconditional love is all about right? To love even though the other abuse you either mentally, verbally, or even physically. IMO, it just isn't right. I don't want to love someone who won't love me back. It's just my opinion though.

I hope I wasn't too long, and I hope I made a bit of sense.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:36 PM   #11
Refugee

Star Wars , Red Sox , and Mars Volta
Old 06-04-2005, 09:20 PM   #12
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:47 AM
I absolutely believe in unconditional love. The parent-child examples are the most common, but at risk of sounding like a new age hippy, I do think those who have any kind of love for animals are included as well.

I have a complicated start on a theory based on studies done on violent offenders in prisons and how many of them start out with cruelty to animals. In a nutshell, I think some people are just plain incapable of unconditional love, and those types of people certainly are. To love an animal or child needs for love to be unconditional. Those who go one step beyond just not being able to love, and go so far as to be capable of cruelty and harm, are exceptions and I think in their emotional make-up they lack the ability to love, as love on it's own is a beautiful and gentle thing. So I think there are those who just cannot. I think they are faulty human beings.
I might be offending some here, but then I think there's the second group who for whatever reason do not like animals and children, but they in no way, I feel, are necessarily prone to going to the next level of intentionally harming. There's a big difference. I think you can be indifferent to animals and kids, but not be a cruel person. And certainly still be capable of love. But I do question how some cannot unlock that part of them which requires us to love and cherish anything which is entirely taking only of what we can give them in terms of love. Cats are a great example. I dont think those selfish little furballs would know how to love unless it was sitting in their bowls or in the form of a warm soft bed. To love a cat takes nothing but giving from the owner. I am a staff member to 2 of the critters, and they redefine selfishness lol. Dogs are the complete opposite and need to be your slave, but they require unconditional love in return because they have one track minds of their own in different ways.
Then there's the 3rd lot in my theory who seem to have this need to love. They might even prefer animals or children to adults, as undonditional love can sometimes be a lot more straightforward. They need to give and give. I think/hope most fall into this category, as believing that we are capable of love makes life so much more worthwhile.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:35 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Enjoyed your post, Angela. As a cat owner with a particularly non warm and fuzzy disposition (unless it is cold out and she wants body heat), I can relate.

I think it is natural for many people to feel unconditional love for people and creatures who depend on us to survive. I think the unconditional part gets sticky when it is autonomous, independent people. I think you can love unconditionally even then, but I think you can only love a handful of autonomous people that way.

That is the question I am interested in. When it does not come completely naturally, do we do it?
Old 06-04-2005, 10:47 PM   #14
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
The parent child relationship is a great example - especially with young children.
and i would say especially with pre-teens and teenagers
Old 06-04-2005, 11:09 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

and i would say especially with pre-teens and teenagers