Unclogging Arteries... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2004, 11:45 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 05:00 PM
Quote:
think you should be more concerned with this statement than you are, because it is also not just about access to prescription drugs, but also their safety. There was evidence presented once that suggested that Prozac would have had fewer side effects, had they put in a slight change to the molecule, but that the company didn't want to put in any more money to do that.
Ohh I have never not been concerned believe me I am well aware of the safety issues and everything else that comes as a fall out.... Money should never come in the way of saving lives that is my bottom line, unfortunatley we live in a world where that happens all to often

I did not say how concerned or unconcerened I was. Just the reality that the companies want to make money.. do I think that is right no.. could I be the CEO of the company and sleep well at night .. no I know it is a buisness not a charity that is a reality.

I have been through converstaion with drug companies on this and sometimes it feels like you are talking straight to the devil , if that sounds harsh it's not when they seem seemingly less concered about the value of a human life then they are with their profit picture.. not all are that bad but I have seen it..

In Canada we are in the process our government of making ammendements to Bill C-56 which is the drug patent act. these changes if made ( pray to god they will be ) will stop the block from big pharma companies . this will allow generic companies to produce medicines for AIDS, T.B and Mallaria and will allow countires alike Africa access to these generic drugs.. a step in the right direction on the patent act I would say

Old 02-01-2004, 01:29 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:00 PM
One of my mother's cousins in Georgia had a terrible depression problem. Her psychiatrist gave her Prozac. It was good for the depression, but lousy for her respiratory system. She developed some respiratory condition, I forget the name, but it had "fibrosis" in the name of it. After three months of this disease she *died*. Rightly or wrongly the family blamed her death on Prozac. My mother would nuke my shrink if he ever gave me Prozac (he's never prescribed it to anyone). So they didn't want to research the side effects? That sucks.

Old 02-02-2004, 08:39 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:00 PM
Quote:
I have always hated this patent thing. I wish they'd do something about patents, they just aren't fair.
Intellectual property protection in some form is absolutely necessary, imho. Researchers need money up front to continue working, because you never know how much longer you're going to need to work to come up with with the next wave of drugs. So the question of how to balance the need for researchers and drug manufacturers to make money with the need for affordable medicine is really an empirical one, in my opinion. I find it hard to get worked up about it one way or the other.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:00 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

The problem with the pharmaceutical industry runs at the system that keeps it going: health insurance. The entire idea of insurance runs completely against the idea of capitalism, and, thus, supply and demand. With insurance assuring inelastic demand, the medical industry takes advantage completely.

Really, there are only two options we have left: strict, government set price controls or eliminating insurance altogether, thus forcing the medical industry to lower its prices dramatically.

Melon
Old 02-02-2004, 10:53 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
One of my mother's cousins in Georgia had a terrible depression problem. Her psychiatrist gave her Prozac. It was good for the depression, but lousy for her respiratory system. She developed some respiratory condition, I forget the name, but it had "fibrosis" in the name of it.
That's aweful, verte!

But I thought cystic fibrosis was entirely genetic...

Old 02-03-2004, 01:21 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

But I thought cystic fibrosis was entirely genetic...

It is. It's caused by an inherited mutation in a gene on chromosome 7. (I think...can anyone tell I've been studying biology all afternoon? )

Although I can think of at least one other respiratory disorder with "fibrosis" in the name and there may well be other ones, so I guess verte might be talking about that?
Old 02-03-2004, 01:27 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

It is. It's caused by an inherited mutation in a gene on chromosome 7. (I think...can anyone tell I've been studying biology all afternoon? )

Although I can think of at least one other respiratory disorder with "fibrosis" in the name and there may well be other ones, so I guess verte might be talking about that?
Yeah, maybe, I tried to look for others, but I couldn't find a good site so I gave up.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:04 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:00 AM
I dont want to defend pharmaceutical companies but it is expensive to develop new drugs. The clinical trials insurance for the University where I work was in the 7 figures last year. And we only run low to medium intervention trials. The insurance bill for drug companies themselves, I imagine, would be astronomical.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:55 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by beli
I dont want to defend pharmaceutical companies but it is expensive to develop new drugs. The clinical trials insurance for the University where I work was in the 7 figures last year. And we only run low to medium intervention trials. The insurance bill for drug companies themselves, I imagine, would be astronomical.
I agree it is extremely expensive to research and develop new drugs. However, I also think that pharmaceutical companies more than cover their costs when they sell those drugs. I worked as a dispensary assistant in a pharmacy for years and I was constantly amazed by how expensive medications were. Most of them aren't expensive because their active ingredients are expensive to manufacture, but because the pharmaceutical companies wish to recover the money they spent on researching and developing the drug.

Probably an ever better illustration of how these companies make their profits would be to look at the development of cheaper generic alternatives, particularly of medications for HIV. Everyone will remember the controversy over pharmaceutical drugs attempting to prevent the use of cheap generic versions of their drugs, despite the fact that the vast majority of people in African countries would go without treatment if they could only buy these drugs at the prices offered by the pharmaceutical companies.

It's the same in developed countries though, while drugs are still under patent protection and can only be purchased as a brand name the cost will be high. As soon as they're no longer patented a generic version is produced at a fraction of the price. I can think of examples where a brand name medication costs over 100% more than the generic, despite the fact that the active ingredients are identical. The means that the pharmaceutical company makes a profit over over 100% of the value of that drug: more than enough to make up for their initial investment in developing the drug.

I think this has just turned into me ranting about pharmaceutical companies now, so I'll shut up.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:19 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not talking about cystic fibrosis, which *is* genetic. I happen to have some cystic fibrosis in my family also. This was a strange respiratory disease which I forget the name of, but I think the diagnosis had the word "fibrosis" in it. I could be mistaken. I'd never heard of the illness in my life when my mother's cousin got it. Whatever the cause it was fatal. The illness abruptly attacked a middle-aged woman who'd been healthy before except for her depression. The tragedy wrote another chapter in the Prozac controversy, unfortunately.