UN plan to save Iraq's marshlands - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 07-25-2004, 07:50 AM   #1
Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 03:51 PM
UN plan to save Iraq's marshlands

The United Nations has announced a major project to help restore the lost marshlands of Iraq, which supported the ancient way of life of the Marsh Arabs.

The $11m scheme, funded by Japan, will help purify contaminated water and re-create natural habitats destroyed during the rule of Saddam Hussein.

The wetlands were drained as punishment after the Marsh Arabs gave sanctuary to rebels fighting the Saddam regime.

It is estimated that during the Saddam period, around 95% of the marshes dried out, largely due to the deliberate diversion of water.

The new project will construct small-scale water treatment plants and recreate reed bed habitats which help purify water and shelter wildlife

Old 07-25-2004, 07:39 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 02:51 PM
This is great. Thanks for posting this Klaus! I'm sorry these good people had to deal with this . What a horrible thing to do to anyone, but I have a special place in my heart for the people who are descended from the people of Sumer because that's the "Cradle of Civilization", the reason I'd at least like to make it to Turkey--although I abhor their human rights situation--it's the culture and not the politics I like.