Ukraine election controversy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i admire the ukrainians -- when they have elections stolen from them, at least they have the good sense to do something about it.

Yeah, I've been following this with some interest.

Luckily the protests haven't been crushed, I hope they come to a resolution soon.

Yeah, I like hell-raisers too. They do this stuff quite a bit. My sister spent two weeks in Ukraine in 2002. They had at least one demonstration against the government in Kyiv, which is interesting, since that's the pro-Russian part of the country, while she was there and then L'viv in the Western part of the country is nationalist big time and they don't like the pro-Russian guy. I hope they can get this stuff worked out.

I read in the paper today that Canada is refusing to acknowledge the *official* election results. Apparently the international community agrees with the protestors that something is amiss.

Yes, you know when Putin is telling the international community to butt out, that something stinks in the land of Soviet nostalgia.

Why not just redo the election? That seems fair to me.

Oh, no, I'm honestly afraid there could be violence. It's horrible. I'm so sorry, Ukraine has many, many problems. In 2002 the Kyiv demonstrators claimed that the government was corrupt. There were also reports in the press that Ukrainian businesses illegally did business with Iraq. This sucks. :mad: :madspit: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
I'am ukrainian, I'm living in Kiev, and I must say it isn't scary as you said. Nation just reunioned, people friendly not like before, and all this feeling about thue power, and government, NEW life with new HOPE. I every day spent on the Kreshatik, center of Kiev, with orange and blue-and-yellow flags, with slogans like "Kuchma, Putin go to hell", "We all together today and invincible". It's great feelings, when you really can change something.

Bonny said:
I'am ukrainian, I'm living in Kiev, and I must say it isn't scary as you said. Nation just reunioned, people friendly not like before, and all this feeling about thue power, and government, NEW life with new HOPE. I every day spent on the Kreshatik, center of Kiev, with orange and blue-and-yellow flags, with slogans like "Kuchma, Putin go to hell", "We all together today and invincible". It's great feelings, when you really can change something.

I knew there had to be at least one Ukrainian here. I hope you're not offended by any of my notes. The press in the U.S. overblows and oversensationizes every damn thing. The word "crisis" sells newspapers and magazines and the press wants the damn $$. There are demonstrations planned for our Inauguration Day and no one is screaming "crisis" because there's not one. It's great that you guys are active and are changing your country.

Last edited:
Bonny said:

:)

I'm so glad to hear an eyewitness account. I was wondering if it was really the revolution Western reporters were describing.

Good luck! You guys have a good track record when it comes to political protest. :)

Keep us updated, please! We'll be watching!

go Ukraine! show the world -- *especially* those of us here in the US -- how to make sure every vote gets counted.

erm, talking about 2000. yes, 2004 is a different story, but had we been able to show a bit more gumption in our country after the 2000 fiasco, the world might be a very different place.

A good turn of events. :up:

Yes, America should watch this and be ashamed of their own complacency. We were too eager to "have it all resolved" and get a quick answer. We have a comfortable history with politics and our government, basically.

Eastern Europe, however has enjoyed what--60 years of sham elections? They know one when they see one. And they aren't going to give up their relatively new freedom. So they took to the streets--and peacefully, too! And everyone in the world noticed. I think that is just so awesome. :up: Go, Ukraine!

We're just too damn comfortable here. We don't rock the boat enough. :|

I agree, I'm glad the people in Ukraine raised hell when it became painfully obvious that they'd been ripped off. Demonstrations are great! I love 'em!

Last edited:
I'm so glad to hear an eyewitness account. I was wondering if it was really the revolution Western reporters were describing.

Good luck! You guys have a good track record when it comes to political protest. :)

Keep us updated, please! We'll be watching! [/B][/QUOTE]

It's interesting to read your comments in the wake of a good article I read about how the Western media is covering the events in Ukraine. If u want to read it I've posted the link.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1360811,00.html

WOW. That is a good article.

I know our local press (who probably can't find Ukraine on a map) happened to have a Colorado reporter who was there and kept leaving panicked messages about "It's a revolution! A revolution! Violence will break out any moment...oh, wait, maybe not...no, wait, ahhh!" It was embarressing.

I'm slightly abashed at this painfully accurate assessment of the West throwing our support like this. It's probably because in retrospect, we failed Eastern Europe so miserably, so now we're a bit too enthused.

Yet on the other hand, I really don't trust Putin or the Russia-backed Yanukovych. That the same accusations were leveled in Russia's own election last spring seems to validate Yushchenko's supporters. Putin seems to favor retro style elections, as it were.

Back
Top Bottom