Uhoh.. Bush is coming to my hometown - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2006, 07:09 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:54 AM
Uhoh.. Bush is coming to my hometown

in June to discuss with the EU - probably about strategies against the nuclear program in Iran.

Should I feel honored? I´m sure my fellow countrymen will protest. We don´t really love him over here. I´m not into protesting though.. I don´t think it makes much sense (in that case). What do you think?

Old 05-04-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 03:54 AM
I think that you should act more responsibly than the people who, by their protesting, are hoping for America's defeat in the war on terror in general and in Iraq in particular.

In other words....just go about your daily life and give a big hug to your family and friends - spread the love.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Don't protest, just throw tomatoes and pies. He deserves it.

Just wait 2 more years and we'll all ( and i mean, we, because the US president IS the most far-reaching politican in the world), be relieved from this ghastly and miserable era in world history.

Maybe Hillary can somehow resurrect the better times of the mid-90's again.....
Old 05-04-2006, 08:50 AM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBono
I think that you should act more responsibly than the people who, by their protesting, are hoping for America's defeat in the war on terror in general and in Iraq in particular.

What a crapfest...
Old 05-04-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
Don't protest, just throw tomatoes and pies. He deserves it.

Just wait 2 more years and we'll all ( and i mean, we, because the US president IS the most far-reaching politican in the world), be relieved from this ghastly and miserable era in world history.

Maybe Hillary can somehow resurrect the better times of the mid-90's again.....
Do you mean to say that you'll be happy if George Bush is gone even if Al-Qaida remains and Iraq is still ruled by terrorist thugs?

Is George Bush the ONLY problem in your opinion?

I'm not looking for a fight, I'd just like to understand your position.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

What a crapfest...
Gee BVS....you seem to have a problem with any post I make which supports the war on terror. I'm really not such a bad person, I care for world peace and going after the bad guys - there's nothing wrong with that, is there?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBono

Gee BVS....you seem to have a problem with any post I make which supports the war on terror. I'm really not such a bad person, I care for world peace and going after the bad guys - there's nothing wrong with that, is there?
No, I have no problem with the fact that you support the war, and I'm not making any judgement of you as a person.

But it's your fox news loving, ultra neo-con reaction that anyone who does not agree with the war in Iraq is cheering for US's defeat. That's pure crap.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:17 AM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

No, I have no problem with the fact that you support the war, and I'm not making any judgement of you as a person.

But it's your fox news loving, ultra neo-con reaction that anyone who does not agree with the war in Iraq is cheering for US's defeat. That's pure crap.
Thanks for clarifying.
I respect you and your opinion.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

yo people - cool it

You can get arrested for provoking the police/ security here, and that would be the interpretation of them when you throw tomatoes so its not an option

The question is rather, does it make sense to protest in that particular case? I´m against the U.S. occupying Iraq, but we´re talking about Iran here, and I think the big leaders will discuss what they need to anyway. To protest just to use your democratic right or to show to the world that we are against Bush´s policies - which the world knows anyway - is a little ... thin.

but maybe I could go there just for the action..
Old 05-04-2006, 11:05 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:54 PM
You raise an interesting issue - the dangers of collective speech. You may approve and disapprove of certain things, but when added together with a host of other protestors, the message (and effectiveness of the message) changes.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:18 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I would just say avoid parts of town where Bush/protesters will be because it'll be chaos

I protested Karl Rove once, haven't had the chance to protest Bush.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:27 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
You raise an interesting issue - the dangers of collective speech. You may approve and disapprove of certain things, but when added together with a host of other protestors, the message (and effectiveness of the message) changes.
Indeed, the effectiveness. What a poor state must our democracy be in when people who normally would be protesting don´t go there because they know it has no decision-making effect!

Clearly, nothing will change if I go - when Blair doesn´t change his opinion even if there are 300.000 on the street, I start to doubt that protests can work like a normal democratic regulation.

It may have a negative effect on civil society, but it could be that I just stay at home to eat chips.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I would just say avoid parts of town where Bush/protesters will be because it'll be chaos
Agreed.. trouble being that I love crowds of people stuck in one place plus a little of action, it always reminds me of a rock concert and you can meet nice people too. mmmh.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:54 PM
Bush came here last year to speak at our commencement. There weren't as many protesters as I thought there would be. A lot of big talk, little action..maybe a dozen people total picketing on the street corner.

However, most of our faculty did not like the admin's decision to allow him to speak and they wrote some nasty letters that were published in various media. DeVos (wealthy man, more than twice as wealthy as Donald Trump, also donates more money to the Republican party than anyone else in the country) pulled his funding this past year so our school lost millions of dollars just b/c our faculty wouldn't bow to Bush.

Now DeVos has Bono speaking here tonight, we'll see how thing play out.....gotta love the local politics!
Old 05-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:54 PM
Bush visited my town right before the 2004 election. There was a small group protesting in a parking lot near where he was speaking, but they just carried signs and it was very peaceful.