Uhoh.. Bush is coming to my hometown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiphop

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
in June to discuss with the EU - probably about strategies against the nuclear program in Iran.

Should I feel honored? I´m sure my fellow countrymen will protest. We don´t really love him over here. I´m not into protesting though.. I don´t think it makes much sense (in that case). What do you think?

I think that you should act more responsibly than the people who, by their protesting, are hoping for America's defeat in the war on terror in general and in Iraq in particular.

In other words....just go about your daily life and give a big hug to your family and friends - spread the love.

Don't protest, just throw tomatoes and pies. He deserves it.

Just wait 2 more years and we'll all ( and i mean, we, because the US president IS the most far-reaching politican in the world), be relieved from this ghastly and miserable era in world history.

Maybe Hillary can somehow resurrect the better times of the mid-90's again.....

AchtungBono said:
I think that you should act more responsibly than the people who, by their protesting, are hoping for America's defeat in the war on terror in general and in Iraq in particular.

What a crapfest...

intedomine said:
Don't protest, just throw tomatoes and pies. He deserves it.

Just wait 2 more years and we'll all ( and i mean, we, because the US president IS the most far-reaching politican in the world), be relieved from this ghastly and miserable era in world history.

Maybe Hillary can somehow resurrect the better times of the mid-90's again.....

Do you mean to say that you'll be happy if George Bush is gone even if Al-Qaida remains and Iraq is still ruled by terrorist thugs?

Is George Bush the ONLY problem in your opinion?

I'm not looking for a fight, I'd just like to understand your position.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What a crapfest...

Gee BVS....you seem to have a problem with any post I make which supports the war on terror. I'm really not such a bad person, I care for world peace and going after the bad guys - there's nothing wrong with that, is there?

AchtungBono said:

Gee BVS....you seem to have a problem with any post I make which supports the war on terror. I'm really not such a bad person, I care for world peace and going after the bad guys - there's nothing wrong with that, is there?

No, I have no problem with the fact that you support the war, and I'm not making any judgement of you as a person.

But it's your fox news loving, ultra neo-con reaction that anyone who does not agree with the war in Iraq is cheering for US's defeat. That's pure crap.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

No, I have no problem with the fact that you support the war, and I'm not making any judgement of you as a person.

But it's your fox news loving, ultra neo-con reaction that anyone who does not agree with the war in Iraq is cheering for US's defeat. That's pure crap.

Thanks for clarifying.
I respect you and your opinion.

yo people - cool it :)

You can get arrested for provoking the police/ security here, and that would be the interpretation of them when you throw tomatoes :D so its not an option

The question is rather, does it make sense to protest in that particular case? I´m against the U.S. occupying Iraq, but we´re talking about Iran here, and I think the big leaders will discuss what they need to anyway. To protest just to use your democratic right or to show to the world that we are against Bush´s policies - which the world knows anyway - is a little ... thin.

but maybe I could go there just for the action..

You raise an interesting issue - the dangers of collective speech. You may approve and disapprove of certain things, but when added together with a host of other protestors, the message (and effectiveness of the message) changes.

nbcrusader said:
You raise an interesting issue - the dangers of collective speech. You may approve and disapprove of certain things, but when added together with a host of other protestors, the message (and effectiveness of the message) changes.

Indeed, the effectiveness. What a poor state must our democracy be in when people who normally would be protesting don´t go there because they know it has no decision-making effect!

Clearly, nothing will change if I go - when Blair doesn´t change his opinion even if there are 300.000 on the street, I start to doubt that protests can work like a normal democratic regulation.

It may have a negative effect on civil society, but it could be that I just stay at home to eat chips.

U2democrat said:
I would just say avoid parts of town where Bush/protesters will be because it'll be chaos :shrug:

Agreed.. trouble being that I love crowds of people stuck in one place plus a little of action, it always reminds me of a rock concert and you can meet nice people too. mmmh.

Bush came here last year to speak at our commencement. There weren't as many protesters as I thought there would be. A lot of big talk, little action..maybe a dozen people total picketing on the street corner.

However, most of our faculty did not like the admin's decision to allow him to speak and they wrote some nasty letters that were published in various media. DeVos (wealthy man, more than twice as wealthy as Donald Trump, also donates more money to the Republican party than anyone else in the country) pulled his funding this past year so our school lost millions of dollars just b/c our faculty wouldn't bow to Bush.

Now DeVos has Bono speaking here tonight, we'll see how thing play out.....gotta love the local politics!

Bush visited my town right before the 2004 election. There was a small group protesting in a parking lot near where he was speaking, but they just carried signs and it was very peaceful.

I'd stay at home and watch the re-runs of the whole thing. Besides you're supposed to be cutting back on our national addiction to gasoline....so ask yourself ......would this be a fuel-efficient event to attend?

:|

I wouldn't dignify the lunatic with an appearance, no.

Scrub your toilet or something instead.

anitram said:
I wouldn't dignify the lunatic with an appearance, no.

Scrub your toilet or something instead.

Ladies and Gents - we have a winner!

What a lovely message in the early morning! :D

-dbs, where did ya leave the 9.. say good morning to your wife! :up:

AchtungBono said:

Do you mean to say that you'll be happy if George Bush is gone even if Al-Qaida remains and Iraq is still ruled by terrorist thugs?

Is George Bush the ONLY problem in your opinion?

I'm not looking for a fight, I'd just like to understand your position.

Yeah, I'm fed up with Bush. Like most politicians, he only became Prez cause of who his Dad was. Nepotism at it's most pure. It shows in his blatant ignorance. He hardly earned his presidency, and debate still continues as to whether he really did win the 2000 election. He's also messed up the Iraq situation big time.

Is the war on terrorism being won?

Will the war in Iraq ever end?

Is the Civil War that is currently being waged in Iraq (Don't deny it, it's true) a better outcome than the comparatively peaceful, (yet undeniably genocidal and dictatorial), rule of Saddam.

The whole Iraq thing has been mishandled in my opinion. Bush has done nothing redeeming. He can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk.

Bush is not the only problem. But he is a cause of problems. Most of the world will be glad to see the back of him.

I don't remember Bush and Rumsfeld stating when they first went to war, that it was necessary for a messy and bloody Civil War to rage on seemingly endlessly.

I don't know if Bush "Regime" has been better than Clinton on the domestic front (I hope he has, for the sake of Americans), but he's been abysmal internationally....

intedomine said:

Yeah, I'm fed up with Bush. Like most politicians, he only became Prez cause of who his Dad was. Nepotism at it's most pure. It shows in his blatant ignorance. He hardly earned his presidency, and debate still continues as to whether he really did win the 2000 election. He's also messed up the Iraq situation big time.

Is the war on terrorism being won?

Will the war in Iraq ever end?

Is the Civil War that is currently being waged in Iraq (Don't deny it, it's true) a better outcome than the comparatively peaceful, (yet undeniably genocidal and dictatorial), rule of Saddam.

The whole Iraq thing has been mishandled in my opinion. Bush has done nothing redeeming. He can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk.

Bush is not the only problem. But he is a cause of problems. Most of the world will be glad to see the back of him.

I don't remember Bush and Rumsfeld stating when they first went to war, that it was necessary for a messy and bloody Civil War to rage on seemingly endlessly.

I don't know if Bush "Regime" has been better than Clinton on the domestic front (I hope he has, for the sake of Americans), but he's been abysmal internationally....

There is currently no Civil War in Iraq. A Civil War is not when insurgents or other armed groups go out and target a particular ethnic group or religious site in the hopes of starting a Civil War. Look at Bosnia and Rawanda. Those are examples of civil wars between 2 or more ethnic groups.

The US military and other coalition troops who have to deal with events on the ground 24 hours a day, 7 days a week have not seen any evidence of a Civil War. In fact, recently uncovered documents from Al Zarqawi's insurgent groups show that his particular insurgent group is responsible for much of the kidnapping and shooting of people of particular ethnic groups as well as stating that their #1 objective is to create a Civil War because it would be benificial to their goals in Iraq.

Saddam was a massive threat to the world and the region and had to be removed. Can you name another leader on the planet that had invaded and attacked unprovoked four other countries in the region. Came close to siezing and or sabotaging much of the planets energy supplies. Used WMD more times than any leader in history. Failed to verifiably disarm of all WMD in compliance with the 1991 Gulf War Ceacefire agreement as well as being in violation of 17 UN security council resolutions.

Without even discussing the 1.7 million people, both Iraqi's and foreigners that were killed while Saddam was in power, the above facts show why it was necessary that he be removed. The coalition spent 12 years trying to get Saddam to verifiably disarm and comply with the resolutions but nothing worked. In 1999, the Sanctions started to fall apart as well as much of the containment regime. With unaccouned for stocks of WMD and a crumbling containment regime, the risk was very real, and rather than wait for Saddam to do something to his neighbors as the international community had always done in the past, the coalition took the necessary action to prevent a repeat of history.

Yes, but is the current state of affairs really what the "coalition of the willing" anticipated?

Tell me for certain, is there an end in sight for the situation in Iraq, or is it spiralling outta control?

I thought the war was only gonna last a couple of months, not several years. It seems as if the situation has been misread by Bush and Co.

Maybe it's best if he's voted out and a new plan of attack is employed.

And please don't, please don't refer to the Rwandan situation as a civil war between "ethnic" groups. They were not ethnicities, they were manufactured identities which served as a way of distinguishing between people who worked in different areas for a bigoted,racist and ultimately guilty Beligian empire.

AchtungBono said:

In other words....just go about your daily life and give a big hug to your family and friends - spread the love.

yeah, thanks supreme cutlas. that was great.

please protest, and tell bush to go back to texas and never come out again.

oh, and look - sting2 is here to protect george.

there is no civil war!!!!!!

i can see the next sting2 report:

"vast ma7ority of iraqis still alive, war on terror won"

intedomine said:
I thought the war was only gonna last a couple of months, not several years. It seems as if the situation has been misread by Bush and Co.

It wasn´t misread. The danger of a war taking years and years, of another Vietnam, was quite clear to EVERYONE who has the faintest idea about war. You can still trace that back to STINGs and my contributions on FYM. I always said: "Who can guarantee that it will not take years and years? Who can guarantee there will be no civil war?"

Other people, like the U.S. administration, said it´s going to be nice and easy, we´ll remove Saddam, as soon as he´s out we will install democracy and everyone will be happy" Hahahaha!

These are the very people who make big business with this war.

Do you think they would LIKE it to end? These politicians are murderers. They do not have any human motives.

Oh let´s not forget to hail the American troops on the way out! God bless the American soldiers, muahahahah *explosion in the background*

if you see him give him a great big kick in the crotch from me! (And yeah ive come into this thread quite late so im not making some long meaningful post sorry...!)

Back
Top Bottom