U2dem's breaktime - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:22 AM
U2dem's breaktime

OK I've got a question for y'all.

If you saw yourself when you were half your age, and your "half your age self" saw you, what would you think of each other?

i.e.-If you happen to be 40 and you saw your 20 year old self, what would you think of each other?

I'm 20. If I saw my 10 year old self I'd tell me to take school a little more seriously and other people less. I cared a little too much about what other people thought of me, and didn't care enough about my schoolwork, and that often got me in trouble. But generally, I'd probably like what I saw in my 10 year old self.

Now, if 10 year old me saw 20 year old me, she/I'd probably be surprised how involved in politics I am. She/I'd also be surprised that I was able to get over my shyness, and now I can approach almost anyone.

Overall I'd say I think my 10 and 20 year old selves would like each other.

Your turn!

Old 10-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:22 PM
I'm 16, so I'm seeing my 8 year old self.

Me at 16 says: Dude, chill out man. None of this matters till you get to high school. Loosen up and hang out with your friends more. Especially in middle school. Those guys who you think will bug you in middle school are actually gonna be your best friends. And practice basketball more.

Me at 8 says: Why the heck aren't you taller? Everyone keeps saying I'm going to be tall when I get older, but you're not taller! Darn.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Hm. To my 14 year old self I'd say: relax. Girls aren't worth the trouble this early.

To my 28 year old self: you need to exercise more.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Me at 8 says: Why the heck aren't you taller? Everyone keeps saying I'm going to be tall when I get older, but you're not taller! Darn.
My 10 year old self would say the same thing...I'm always short!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

My 8 year old self would also be very conservative politically because he didn't like Al Gore, so the natural choice in 1999 was to like the opposite, George Bush.

My 16 year old self would warn strongly against this.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Wow. This is a great question for me to ask myself because I turn 30 next month. It's been haunting me, and challenging me.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:22 AM
My half-lifed counterpart would be disappointed that I wasted her potential and in seeing the fear I developed. She would have been pleased at the sense of mischief I have that she didn't see and to know I still don't compromise much. I would have told her to not be so serious and run off and join the circus, become a gypsy or a pirate and that time goes very quickly. I liked much of her. Don't know what she would have thought of me.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

My half-aged self would say, "Damn, you're old--but you've still got that spark, and you're one cool old broad who knows how to have fun."

My present self would say, "Take more risks. Do more of what you want and don't worry so much about what people think."

Great question, u2dem!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:06 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It's strange because this is the year that my life changed dramatically. My half age me spent this year being tested, I changed schools, started College classes and took the classes I'd need to finish school. Luckily I was 5'6" and really tall for my age.

Mini me would look at me now and probably say "when do you ever have fun" and Yay for getting out of the lab mini me would like us I guess.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I would tell my half-aged self to get your ass to a show on the Joshua Tree tour before it ends.

I regret not going.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:22 AM
I'm 36, so I'd be looking at my 18-year-old, college-freshman self. *cringes at thought that I'm more than twice as old as some in here*

Me at 36: First of all, stop wallowing in resentment and self-pity about how shitty the last two years were and start calling or writing your mother twice a month. You won't know this until your little brother writes you about it 2 years from now (although you should), but she cries all the time because you're keeping everyone at arm's length, and sending some of your paycheck home now and then does not make up for it. Hold on to the mostly-for-fun attitude towards dating you had in high school, because your academic goals are the most important ones right now and, frankly, you're still way too confused and reactive about too many things to be ready for a serious relationship--there's a lot more to knowing who you are than knowing who you don't want to be, and no one but you can provide that knowledge, however appealing dreams of love providing it all might be. And don't expect to have what you'll wind up doing with your degree exhaustively mapped out and academically prepared for by the time you graduate--a solid grounding in a field you enjoy is a good goal worth devoting yourself to now, but unforeseen grad school opportunities and quirks of your future marketplace will exert their own influences on the equation later; that's not 'failure,' it's becoming a Responsible Adult who rises to the occasion.

(p.s. Trust me, though, you're doing some very impressive work academically--much, much better than you think--and the effort you're making to come out of your shell socially, which I know is very tough and often seems right now like it's yielding nothing, is going to pay off in all kinds of ways later. I know how sick you are of teenage cliqueishness, and I'll grant all that's not totally behind you yet, but that sense you have that it's beginning to fade away is real, and it will continue to do so.)

Me at 18: You live where?! Well, that's pretty damn deflating...Can I see your publications list?...that's it? that's all?! Lol, look how confident and experienced you sound talking to your students...how do you ever keep a straight face? The home life, though... now, there I'm impressed. Much better than I expected, to be honest. Wow, that's cool how much hiking and traveling you do. I see you never did develop much fashion sense, but I guess I can live with that. Overall it's not as...impressive as I'd hoped for, but you actually seem pretty content and even kinda...happy about it. Guess I need to ponder that one awhile...

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I'm 36, so I'd be looking at my 18-year-old, college-freshman self. *cringes at thought that I'm more than twice as old as some in here*
Or maybe just me.

Sorry to everyone I make feel old here.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:22 PM
Ditto.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Or maybe just me.

Sorry to everyone I make feel old here.
19 *represent*

I would tell my 9 year old self (I just turned 19 in August, so I'm going with 9 instead of 10) to stop being so shy, to let people see who I really am. I was always hiding behind books and homework, and I missed out on some great friendships I could've had in elementary school. I would also tell me to loosen up and quit being so judgemental to things I don't understand.

9 year old me would say, Wow, you turned out completely different at 19 than I thought you would be. She probably would be uncomfortable with how tolerant I am now, but I think overall she would be happy with who I/we are.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
My half-lifed counterpart would be disappointed that I wasted her potential and in seeing the fear I developed
Actually I would say the same exact thing. I'd like to think that my half aged self looking at my older self would be proud of how I have survived emotionally and what I have learned about myself. And of the fact that I have stayed true to myself in spite of others.