U2Bama's Vegetarian Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Bama

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Just to clear up any long-standing confusion: I am not, and never have been, a vegetarian.

I realize this fact goes against the very spirit of being a U2 fan, but it is a choice I have lived with my entire life, and, you know, I am okay with it.

There are many "vegetarian" food items that I enjoy, but there are also many food items I enjoy that contain meat. I do not wish to eat bean burritoes, falaffel, and Caesar salad every meal of every day, although I do enjoy each of them.

I eat the following meat products:
beef
pork
chicken
crustacean (shrimp, crab, crawfish)
lamb
venison (deer)
fish (tuna)

I am sorry if this disappoints any of you. I couldn't live under your false impressions of me any longer.

If it means that I can't be a U2 fan, then so be it.

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 12-07-2001).]

My favorite meat is veal.

*commence flaming (cow)*

Ormus

------------------
"Then she was in the helicopter, and it was rising, and I had not gone with her, and I never saw her again, none of us did, and the last words she screamed down at me break my heart every time I think of them, and I think of them a few hundred times a day, every day, and then there are the endless, sleepless nights." - Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet

What's wrong with being an omnivore? Nothing to be ashamed of U2Bama, in fact, Vegetarianism is only healthy if its pulled off properly. I know someone who is supposedly a vegetarian and is ruining her health.

Ant.

Prima in Walnut Creek California has the best Veal Chop I have ever had...

Bama - Caesar salads have anchovies or anchovy past - so they are not vegetarian. Also, most refried beans use bacon grease...

Just FYI

Although there is a Greek-owned, "Southern cookin" meat & three cafeteria in North Birmingham that serves very good veal, I have avoided ordering it over the past few years becuase I do feel bad for the little baby calves (maybe there IS hope for me?).

Possum, raccoon, or fox would be a very efficient meat source where I live; their roadkill rate is exponential.

Ant, if I were to attempt vegetarianism, I would starve to death within a week.

Thermopylae, if a restaurant at which I am eating indicates the presence of anchovies on their Caesar, I order it without; most places where I order Caesar Salad are steakhouses (ironically, with a Sirloin), and they use a cheap but very tasty imitation dressing, sometimes scattered with eggwhites, so I guess that would be a violation.

MissMacPh, I knew you would do that.

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by U2Bama:
Although there is a Greek-owned, "Southern cookin" meat & three cafeteria in North Birmingham that serves very good veal, I have avoided ordering it over the past few years becuase I do feel bad for the little baby calves (maybe there IS hope for me?).

Just ask this scientician. He'll tell you that, in nature, one creature invariably eats another creature to survive. Don't kid yourself Bama. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!

I've eaten squirrel before. A little gamey but tastes like chicken (what doesn't?).

I love meat
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
And I feel like I'm slowly slowly slowly slipping under.

And I feel like I'm holding onto nothing.

ADAM (talking about Elevation):
"I like it, it's very hard to play live...(starts smiling) I don't understand what it's about, it's good."

I usualy stay away from the non meats.
just too much flavor to ignore

Does anyone of you eat biologic and ecologic produced meat ? Is there in America any biologic produced meat ?

*Gags and faints *
tongue.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

O.K., i try. Producing bio-meat is ehh, growing animals up without help of Hormons ( cow ) or antibiotica ( used for pig, to gain more wieght ) and with enough space to move around. You can think about chickenfarms for producing eggs, there are 7-8 chicken in a cage. You ever been in such a place ? Not very biologic .Just take a look. Ore producing veal, they a calf into a very small box so he can not move around. That is the way to keep veal nice red and tender. But not the way to treath animals.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Hearing only what you want to hear and knowing only what you've heart.
Read you, Rono.

There definitely exist in America "biologically produced" (perhaps the proper term is "humanely produced") eggs.

I ate tofu once that at first i swore was actually chicken. I couldnt believe it till i read the label.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

actually, all that's done to produce veal is to reduce the intake of iron, it has nothing to do with putting them in a small box (which, actually would be counter-productive because the animal would in all likelihood be very unhealthy, but that's just speculation on my part, of course)

Many of you will be pleased to know that I was a vegetarian today.

I skipped my usual sausage biscuit this morning; I snacked on some chips for lunch (busily working); and for dinner, I had a falafel roll-up and sauteed mushrooms. As tempting as it was to sample the chicken roll-up which my wife was eating, I resisted, and I did so for U2 and everything they stand for. It's a new day.

~U2Alabama

Rono,

The kind of animal products you're talking about are available in the U.S., but probably not as widely as in Europe. There just isn't that much demand for it here. Many of the farmers here that are raising animals that way, are looking at selling into European or Japanese markets. But in any city in the States, I think you could go out and buy organic pork, or antibiotic-free pork.

I was a vegetarian for an entire month and a half. It wasn't that difficult...till New Year's Day, 2000, when everyone was sitting around eating bacon for breakfast!!

I have a theory. We should no longer eat the "cute" animals, such as rabbit, dear, cows, piggies.

We should declare war on the "evil" animals that everyone hates anyway. We could go on a big hunt and eat a lot of snakes, badgers, gators, sharks, and big hairy tarantulas.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
did you say sautee`?

uh-oh, that would mean there was probably butter involved, and as we all know, cultivating butter means torchering animals

Is it possible to "sautee" with only olive oil and seasonings? He has hinted his recipe to me before, adn I do not recall butter being an ingredient. DAMN those mushrooms are good!!!!

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom