U2 Un-American?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
This was posted somewhere else in Interference.com, but I wanted to see what everyone here thinks of this, considering how smart I think you all are:

U2's act rings insincere

February 5, 2002

The halftime show put on during the Super Bowl was heart-moving and a disgrace. The disgrace I'm talking about is the un-American band with its anti-American lead singer Bone Head, or Bono.

Not only was it a disgrace but a slap in the face to all Americans who have realized their patriotic love of America. This Irish band's front man, Bono, has made a habit of speaking negatively about the United States and its capitalist and imperialistic ways. Quoting from the Nation/ World section (and ironically in Super Bowl Sunday's edition) headlined ''Global trade critics bash U.S.'': It's strange company for a singer who once railed against American imperialism in ''Bullet the Blue Sky'' and whose albums regularly lambaste Western consumerism and big business.''

I am outraged and disgusted that this anti-American piece of trash was chosen and accepted the honors of playing halftime at the Super Bowl. His waving his flag-lined jacket, in a phony attempt to show support for America, must surely have been motivated by greed for American dollars and made me want to vomit.

I'm for sending this dirt bag back to Ireland and informing the American public who buys this moron's music just what a scumbag he is. This is the same Bono who consistently speaks out against America, and he also advocates ''debt forgiveness'' for Third World Countries. This ''debt forgiveness'' would pay off any debt these Third World countries have with the International Monetary Fund, or World Bank.

Doesn't sound too bad until you realize that the United States is the largest contributor to the IMF, World Bank. These Third World countries would receive ''debt relief'' at the expense of American taxpayers.

I suggest that Bono and U2 give the millions of dollars they've surely made off the same Americans they seem to have a hatred toward, and start sending it out to these Third World countries that need this ''debt relief'' to help solve their money problems.

Maybe by this time next year they'll have replaced the person or persons in charge of hiring the halftime Super Bowl entertainment with somebody with a brain. Hopefully, that person is American who hires another American entertainer who loves America. Hmm, maybe somebody like Ted Nugent?

Paul J. Wills Sr., Burbank

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

too bad he didn't bother to do his homework and find out they played at the super bowl for free. us americans contributed not a dime to having them perform here.

------------------
you bury your treasure where it can't be found, but your love is like a secret that's been passed around...
ME!

Also too bad that he didn't look into how much of their personal fortunes the boys of U2 have contributed to various goodwill causes worldwide.

::yawn::

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

NeverMINND
Mixed feelings , very mixed feelings about all this stuff.
From the begining of Beautiful Day promotion , there was a massive culture attack on USA about U2 , how good they became once again , how great thier album is etc etc etc , an elevation tour that mostly took place in the United States , U2 became a part of cheap usual MTV USA network , they did a nice business with U.S.A but Bono shouldn't have to fuck with american feelings during 3rd leg , it was TOO MUCH .
All those flags on his coat , it seems now that U2 is a part of all shows on national television , they're everywhere . Bono tries to connect political life with religion & rock'n'roll , that's impossible !! It was Too dangerous to play with people feelings , and Bono went to it all by himself . U2 fanatism and anti/U2 fanatism are both fucking weirdos !!!!!!
It's normal people's reaction , always there were : haters and lovers

Its amazing how little many people know about the band, their history, their politics, and how that has all both evolved and in some ways stayed the same over the course of 20 years. This whole thing of putting politics with music is nothing new. Think about the 1979 show U2 did in Dublin for safe and legal conctraception in Ireland. People who think that U2 is anti-American and against big business don't know the bands views and history. Same with those who think they have "soldout" or done something different with the marketing of the album and tour.

U2 Played Super Bowl For Free

That aside... As an "objective" U2 fan (don't ask me what that is) allow me to give my thoughts on the subject:

1.) I think Bono downplayed his anti-capitalist/imperialist American bit... out of decency to what has happened on 9/11... I think he has some ambivalence on how to react on the events and America's reaction itself.

2.) About the whole "rich and famous thing, why don't you donate all your money" if you're really good for what you say... is a bunch of bullshit... That's like saying a king can give all his money to the poor so that his people can live better materially... but then the king would lose all his power in government, and where would the country be, if the people do not know how to govern or run their country....

Therefore, I scoff at the people who attack these two points...

Point #1: America's in denial of something that pissed other countries off. (I'm not naming particulars here)

Point #2: Bono can give all his money away to the Third World and that won't solve shit, because the capitalist will still be milking away on the Third World debt, aka economic imperialism...

Someone can criticize American policy and still not be *anti-American". I know that's hard for some people to believe but its true. Must people of others countries agree with America at all times on all points in order to "pro-American"? I think that would be quite exhasuting and hypocritical...and impossible.

I do not agree with concept of a monarchy. I think the UK should get rid of it. But does that one sticking point make me somehow 'anti-British'? I'm not...for the most part I like them...and have no other problems with them....but because I don't care for this one part of their culture I guess I am....what narrow definitions we have laid out for ourselves.

dream wanderer

dream wanderer

I agree with what dream wanderer had to say.

This author overlooks the fact that not only U2 but also several Republican members of Congress favor debt forgiveness to Third World countries. And Bono's presence at the World Economic Forum was NOT to bash capitalism or globalization, but to encourage them in a direction that provides ggod health, education, and overall living conditions in Third World countries so that the can be partners in the process.

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by melon:
Doesn't sound too bad until you realize that the United States is the largest contributor to the IMF, World Bank. These Third World countries would receive ''debt relief'' at the expense of American taxpayers.

this individual needs a lesson in economics.

the gentleman is obviously an idiot and does not deserve the attention we are all paying him, myself included. his writing is peppered with simple name calling directed at bono. the fact that this has been published is an embarrasment for those behind it.

------------------
i am ready to communicate with you

Originally posted by kobayashi:
this individual needs a lesson in economics.

the gentleman is obviously an idiot and does not deserve the attention we are all paying him, myself included. his writing is peppered with simple name calling directed at bono. the fact that this has been published is an embarrasment for those behind it.

It's funny how we get so worked up about somebody's ignorant contributions and then someone like yourself comes along and writes the PERFECT retort. Two thumbs up!

------------------

---------------------
LP.org

what i can't believe is that his paper allowed it to be published. surely the paper doesn't blindly approve everything their writers contribute to the paper?

------------------
if there's secrets she has to be pardoned to every one of them, if there's heaven she gets to the heart...
ME!

Originally posted by dream wanderer:
Someone can criticize American policy and still not be *anti-American". I know that's hard for some people to believe but its true.

Bingo. If I tell a friend I think he's wrong, or doing the wrong thing, doesn't make me less of a friend. Probably more.

*removes stick from this guy's ass*
Who is this guy to talk? How many times has he bitched about the way our country is run? How many times has he been beaten or killed for it? Ohhh, right, America. Bitch all you want and don't get punished for it. Now THAT'S a country! Really I mean that. He must demount his high horse and realize that being patriotic doesn't mean you overlook the wrongdoings of the government, quite the opposite actually.

Well, I must say, I don't like Bono's flag lined jacket. I just don't like it when people wear it as apparel. They have taken some liberties with the American flag in the past. Liberties that really piss me off. However, I recently learned that we are pretty much the only country that invests so much in its flag. We care what people do with it because it's such a powerful symbol of America.

------------------
*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

flibbertigibbet

The Edge, it's a direct object.

"I'm forgetful. But above all, I'm lazy."

Originally posted by idiot:

I'm for sending this dirt bag back to Ireland and informing the American public who buys this moron's music just what a scumbag he is.

HAHA!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
Big thumbs up here arsehole! Who is this guy Melon? Come on! Set him freeee!
tongue.gif

moron!

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

Love is...cold steel/Fingers too numb to feel/Squeeze the handle/Blow out the candle
Love is blindness.../A little death/Without mourning/No call/And no warning...

[Thanks M.P.]

LOL! That was a good laugh...same old story, you're always gonna have Bono bashers no matter what.

So is he more upset about the Super bowl or Bono's charity work? Make up your mind, would you?
rolleyes.gif
And the article would have make its point (not that there is one anyway) just as fine without all the name calling directed to Bono.

And i don't see why it's so impossible to love a country, yet be constructively critical about it's mistakes?

Back
Top Bottom