U2 Apparently Drinks Coca Cola, But Aren't We Supposed to Oppose Coca Cola?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RED ELEPHANT

Babyface
Another scene I noticed in "The Unforgettable Fire Collection" video is a bottle of Coca Cola sitting atop one of the speakers in the studio while the band is performing. This would seem to imply that the boys are drinking Coca Cola.

However, Coca Cola is manufactured by a corporation. And some say this corporation opposes unionization of employees in Third World countries. Therefore, aren't we supposed to ban Coca Cola? And would this mean that U2 is commiting a violation?

stcam52413a.jpg

id kill for your name.

------------------
-Cloyd
-Balls McCone
-Cloyd (again)
-Blattus
-Box Bran-Delle

Red Elephant;

Do you honestly think that Coca Cola is the only company U2 buys and financially supports that has 'immoral' grounds? Of course not. Show me a company that is totally free of greed and corruption, and I will show you a work of fiction. Even the BODY SHOP is just as bad as the rest, if not worse, they even lie about what they do.

Coca Cola may be morally shady, but its not a reason to go 'oh, we should go against what U2 are doing'. Its simply not logically sound. If you did that with everything you owned, you'd die of starvation naked in some vaccuum.

Ant.

[This message has been edited by Anthony (edited 01-24-2002).]

Funny -

Red Elephant didn't say Coca-Cola was bad, he just said corporations were bad because they are anti-union in Third World countries(TWCs).

U2 hasn't aligned itself with Coca-Cola by any means, probably just used the product at one time. And I'm not even sure what Coke's view is on Unionization in TWCs.

U2 has aligned themselves with Target and Best Buy...again, I'm not sure the corporate stance on unionization of TWCs, but I know a lot of the clothing and products Target sells is probably made in TWCs. Target is a great community partner nationally donating a percentage to local schools as well as locally (headquartered in Minnesota) donating money to local community programs.

That's it! I will never drink Coca-Cola again!

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

Originally posted by mikal:
That's it! I will never drink Coca-Cola again!

yea, shots of rum are gonna get old quickly.

wait which rum do you think U2 drinks?
i have to research the history of said rum producer so that i can live a more U2 life like life
wink.gif

------------------
silver
shiny

Originally posted by kobayashi:

i have to research the history of said rum producer so that i can live a more U2 life like life
wink.gif

Whatever kind of Rum is sold in Dublin.

Originally posted by kobayashi:

wink.gif

HAHA!!! Well, I drink the usual(Captian Morgan).

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

I banned Coca-Colca since last summer when I learned it emprisonned Union Workers leaders in Brazil and "make them understand that you don't mess with coke", while Coke used other people to do the physical job.

I haven't had a soft drink since 1988. Just because I'm weird.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 01-26-2002).]

As much as I'd like to boycott every corporation that does injustice around the world, I think I'd never eat again, run around naked, and likely remain unemployed forever.

It is quite a sad state of affairs. Apparently, profit is more important than simple human decency; and, unless a corporation is forced by law to do something, they'll refuse to do it. If slavery were legal somewhere, I'm sure the American multinational corporations would be right at the nation's doorstep.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by melon:
As much as I'd like to boycott every corporation that does injustice around the world, I think I'd never eat again, run around naked, and likely remain unemployed forever.

It is quite a sad state of affairs. Apparently, profit is more important than simple human decency; and, unless a corporation is forced by law to do something, they'll refuse to do it. If slavery were legal somewhere, I'm sure the American multinational corporations would be right at the nation's doorstep.

Melon

Completely and unfortunately right. Have you ever heard of equitable commerce and cooperatives, such as coffee or clothes ? Here it's gaining more and more popularity and the people are getting a conscience, but the corporations are starting to make lawsuits against cooperatives openly saying they offer equitable products because of a... supposed illegal competition with the big corporations.

But who cares for human rights when money is there ?

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

Ej?rcito Zapatista de Liberaci?n Nacional (EZLN) : www.ezln.org
"The one who governs with weapons is surely poor in ideas" - Marcos

Solidarit?s : <A HREF="http://www.solidarites.org

Parti" TARGET=_blank>www.solidarites.org

Parti</A> pour une Alternative Progressiste : www.parti-rap.org

Originally posted by zonelistener:
U2 has aligned themselves with Target and Best Buy...again, I'm not sure the corporate stance on unionization of TWCs, but I know a lot of the clothing and products Target sells is probably made in TWCs. Target is a great community partner nationally donating a percentage to local schools as well as locally (headquartered in Minnesota) donating money to local community programs.

You watch it there zone!!!! You NEVER mock Target!!! EVER!!! Or Best Buy!! They're good for Minnesotan economy!!
smile.gif
Target's clothing isn't made in TWC's, they had a big thing about that on KARE 11 not too long ago (did you watch that last night? With the horses? What the hell were they doing?! Sorry...back to my post). And as far as Best Buy is concerned, well, they provide me with U2. Therefore, I love them.

Just because U2 drinks Coke doesn't mean they support Coke. Just because Edge wears Adidas doesn't mean he's aligned with Adidas. And so on and so on and so on. I think it's funny we're so concerned we post over this... m'eh

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

I think it's pretty funny that you all keep referencing the coke bottle in the Unforgettable Fire Collection but no one has mentioned that Bono name drops Coca Cola in song. Promenade.

MAP

Just because Macaulay Culkin advertises Sprite doesn't mean he drinks Sprite, either.

who gives about macaulay culkin!
biggrin.gif

Some of us discussed this in chat last night and i seriously am starting to wonder . The whole tarjet thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Have they forgotten what ZOOTV and POPMART were all about?

Personally I was hoping the 7 cd came with a Target poster with Bono's head inside the big red dot so we can hang it up on a dart board.

p.s. The above is actually a joke

Originally posted by zooropamanda:

Personally I was hoping the 7 cd came with a Target poster with Bono's head inside the big red dot so we can hang it up on a dart board.

A good joke, though. I agree with you.

As for Edge drinking Coke or whatever, he can drink window cleaner for all I care. Now if he shows up in their next big ad promotion, I may have a few problems...

who gives about macaulay culkin!
biggrin.gif

Some of us discussed this in chat last night and i seriously am starting to wonder . The whole tarjet thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

*smacks Zooropamanda with a large trout

Just wait 'til I get to chat young lady, then I'll learn ya!
biggrin.gif

Ya know... I don't get the gripe about "7." I turn on the TV and I have N'Sync singing "I want my baby back, baby back, baby back ribs" to me. I flip the channel and there's a certain Ms. Spears singing about the "joy of Pepsi." In December, a wide array of artists did a commercial for Gap (I believe) where they all sang part of a song.

All U2 did was release a CD of previously unavailable tracks in the U.S.. U2 or their label didn't HAVE to do this. But because U.S. fans didn't get the CD singles, they could at least get this CD. The price? A mere $7. There was no promotion by U2. There were no U2 commercials singing about Target. It was just something a little special for U2 fans at a reasonable price. Don't want it? Don't get it. That's it and that's all.

I see rock stars, TV stars and movie stars doing all sorts of guest appearances, promotional appearances and commercials. I wonder if the fans of those artists give them as much slack as we give U2.

If U2 were singing about Big Macs, then I'd be complaining with you. But as it stands, I see nothing wrong with this special CD.

Originally posted by Lilly:

You watch it there zone!!!! You NEVER mock Target!!! EVER!!! Or Best Buy!! They're good for Minnesotan economy!!
smile.gif
Target's clothing isn't made in TWC's, they had a big thing about that on KARE 11 not too long ago (did you watch that last night? With the horses? What the hell were they doing?! Sorry...back to my post). And as far as Best Buy is concerned, well, they provide me with U2. Therefore, I love them.

Just because U2 drinks Coke doesn't mean they support Coke. Just because Edge wears Adidas doesn't mean he's aligned with Adidas. And so on and so on and so on. I think it's funny we're so concerned we post over this... m'eh

Lily my dear child...
I am not mocking Target or Best Buy. I was supporting them. They have been very gracious to two not-for-profits very close to my heart. And, as sad as this may sound, I'm not sure if I could live without Target. (Three trips in two days - Time to move to Europe to cut the addiction)
biggrin.gif

I mised the KARE 11 piece, sorry.

No one has yet mentioned that Richard Branson wanted to use "Even Better Than The Real Thing" to pitch Virgin Cola and slag off Coke. U2 refused.

Originally posted by speedracer:
No one has yet mentioned that Richard Branson wanted to use "Even Better Than The Real Thing" to pitch Virgin Cola and slag off Coke. U2 refused.

In that field, what gets me mad is that the cunt Yoko Ono sold 'Instant Karma' to Nike (I'm sure Lennon wouldnt support their Child Labor) and that Micheal Jackson also sold 'Revolution' for a Nike commercial. Anyways, that was my "I don't like Yoko" part for the day.

When you buy you vote and approve the one who you buy... or advert for.

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

I am a member of the "Pepsi Generation" so none of this has anything to do with me.

You must realize that Coca Cola once stood proud whilst a chorus sang "What the world needs now, is love, sweet love/ no not just for some, but for everyone..."

Back then we had these large flat round disks called records that were made of vinyl and you used a stereo with a turntable and a needle with a diamond that you placed very carefully on the groove in the record where you wanted to play...then you flipped the record over and dropped the needle down again on the back side of the record. When a song was really great you could buy it on a smaller version called a "45", this was a "single" and it had a song on the other side that wasn't as good, it was the "b" side.

Luckily we still have coke.

If slavery were legal somewhere, I'm sure the American multinational corporations would be right at the nation's doorstep.

As it stands, Melon, slavery is unofficially legal in Sudan. The northern government in Khartoum (which happens to rule by a theocratic code) enslaves the southern minorities (who happen to practice religions outside of that theocratic code) where the oil fields are located.

The United States forbids its companies from doing business in Sudan for the reason of their slave state status. On the other hand, Canada and certain European nations allow their businesses to operate in this medieval slave state. Canada's Talisman Oil Company controls approximately 25% of the petroleum resources in Sudan, with the blood and sweat of slave labor.

I'm quite disgusted that such a government exists, much less does business with nations such as Canada. Personally, I think the U.S. should have gone further during the fall legislative session and seriously considered Congressman Spencer Bachus' legislation BANNING companies doing business in Sudan from being publicly traded in our stock markets.

So, a slave state DOES still exist, and the U.S. and it's companies are NOT at its doorstep. Just as Target doesn't own K-Mart and Coca Cola didn't invent Santa Claus.

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 01-28-2002).]

Originally posted by U2Bama:
So, a slave state DOES still exist, and the U.S. and it's companies are NOT at its doorstep. Just as Target doesn't own K-Mart and Coca Cola didn't invent Santa Claus.

Cute...

I guess that the equivalent of less than a dollar an hour in some third-world nations doesn't constitute slavery. I guess as long as you throw a few pennies at the prostitute...

FYI, Coca-Cola invented the "image" of Santa Claus as we know it. Yes, Santa Claus existed previous to the 1940s, but he was depicted differently in regards to looks.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

[This message has been edited by melon (edited 01-29-2002).]

Cute...

I guess that the equivalent of less than a dollar an hour in some third-world nations doesn't constitute slavery. I guess as long as you throw a few pennies at the prostitute...

FYI, Coca-Cola invented the "image" of Santa Claus as we know it. Yes, Santa Claus existed previous to the 1940s, but he was depicted differently in regards to looks.

Melon

You were predicting that if a true slave state existed, American corporations would participate in it. Well, it does exist, and they don't participate.

And regarding Santa Claus/Coca Cola, I refer you to a post by Klodomir several weeks ago, in which she pointed out to you that it's not true:

originally posted by Klodomir awhile back in another thread:
No, Melon, I'm afraid that you have fallen for an urban legend which is popular in the US but fairly unknown in Europe. Santa Claus looked like that decades before the Coca Cola Company launched their first Santa campaign. http://www.snopes2.com/cokelore/santa.htm

Check that out.

~U2Alabama

" We should sue Coca-Cola and te Backstreet boys. They're doin' Coke adds on TV and Coke hurts the teeth of the youth. Anyways... that's the americans huh... they don't get it. They... just... don't... get...it..."
- Noel Gallagher

"Y'knowwhatImean?" - Liam

------------------

Back
Top Bottom