U2 Apparently Drinks Coca Cola, But Aren't We Supposed to Oppose Coca Cola?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by U2Bama:
Check that out.

Hooray for postmodernism. I must remember to distrust my history textbooks for the future. It isn't a surprise, though, considering that the inaccuracies within textbooks are quite common.

Information is now wired in my brain for future reference.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

And the only reason American corporations aren't in Sudan is because they are forbidden at the federal level. If it were not regulated, I'm sure they'd be there competing with the Canadians to see who can oppress the most laborers.

But, as I stated before, I guess throwing pennies at people isn't slavery technically, but it is about as close to it as you can get.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by Holy John:
In that field, what gets me mad is that the cunt Yoko Ono sold 'Instant Karma' to Nike (I'm sure Lennon wouldnt support their Child Labor) and that Micheal Jackson also sold 'Revolution' for a Nike commercial. Anyways, that was my "I don't like Yoko" part for the day.

LOL--you know, I often find myself defending Yoko for various reasons, but then when this comes up I have to surrender because there is nothing to say in defense of her there.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
LOL--you know, I often find myself defending Yoko for various reasons, but then when this comes up I have to surrender because there is nothing to say in defense of her there.

Yoko was also untalented, obnoxious and ugly.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by speedracer:
Yoko was also untalented, obnoxious and ugly.
biggrin.gif

But how do you really feel? LOL...I know, I am the only John Lennon fan on the planet who gives Yoko a break. Maybe she doesn't deserve it, but I always find myself sympathizing with her in interviews. But then, she apparently screwed Julian over and a new generation will think "Instant Karma" is a Coke commercial.

Sorry, don't want to hijack this thread...

I posted this in defense of Yoko Ono on another website forum a few months back:

"Now I think it is easy to dismiss Yoko Ono. Her shrill voice and avant-garde style, especially when combined with rock god, John Lennon, turns many people off. However, I think that if it weren't for her influence on John Lennon, the music we enjoy today would not exist.

The Beatles, of course, were the first great rock band. I'm sure that someone here will find some way to disagree, but it's true really. And, of course, a lot of great music was written before Yoko came in, but it was, essentially, straight forward pop/rock. However, once Yoko came into the picture, her experimental nature influenced Lennon to move beyond the box.

Perhaps it was because of her that Lennon decided to quit the Beatles, but I'm not here to debate that. However, if you listen to Lennon's work with the Beatles, and you listen to his solo work, it's profoundly different in many ways. Lennon proved that a good musician didn't have to stay in one category to be great. Listen to the music by the Beatles, listen to "Plastic Ono Band," listen to "Shaved Fish," and then listen to "Double Fantasy." All Lennon. All different. And while I do believe that Lennon was different by nature, Yoko pushed him to go further into left field, perhaps sowing the seeds for alternative music.

Of course, Ono, herself, sings very weird songs. It's definitely not for the average music listener. You don't even have to like her; I find anything by her hard to listen to, aside from "Season Of Glass." But I think, perhaps, it's time to give her her place in music history. After all, even U2 has admitted a deep admiration to John Lennon's work, and maybe, had Ono not been there to get Lennon to think way off of left field, our world of music, our world of "alternative" may not exist."

Yeah, I know. How can one defend the most hated woman in music?
tongue.gif
What I will admit is that her business practices regarding the handling of John Lennon's music have certainly been questionable at times, enough to make you want to roll your eyes in disgust.

Melon

------------------

melon!! Bravo!!! I totally agree. I thought I was over in left field all by myself.

Originally posted by U2Bama:
You were predicting that if a true slave state existed, American corporations would participate in it. Well, it does exist, and they don't participate.

~U2Alabama

What is Nike ?or Child Labor or paying employees like one dollar per day, or forbid them to form Unions, etc...

Yes yes yes, I hear you "Canadian petrol companies" blablabla. Yes I agree with you. The difference is, I am a nationalist, but I can critic the companies of my city/country. And I write to them, sign petition and go in the streets when its the time to do so. I'm not a guy whos there in front of his computer, saying "Ahhh... my country, my interest me me me me me me me me me me meeee". You say that in front of your computer, you critic but you don't make any actions.

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

Ej?rcito Zapatista de Liberaci?n Nacional (EZLN) : www.ezln.org
"The one who governs with weapons is surely poor in ideas" - Marcos

Solidarit?s : <A HREF="http://www.solidarites.org

Parti" TARGET=_blank>www.solidarites.org

Parti</A> pour une Alternative Progressiste : www.parti-rap.org

I'm not a guy whos there in front of his computer, saying "Ahhh... my country, my interest me me me me me me me me me me meeee". You say that in front of your computer, you critic but you don't make any actions.

That's rather presumptuous of you to say something like that.

The difference is, I am a nationalist, but I can critic the companies of my city/country. And I write to them, sign petition and go in the streets when its the time to do so. I'm not a guy whos there in front of his computer, saying "Ahhh... my country, my interest me me me me me me me me me me meeee". You say that in front of your computer, you critic but you don't make any actions.

YES, that DAMNED presumptuous of you, Holy John. But it doesn't surprise me coming from someone who called me a "Southern wanker" in this forum several months ago. THAT is no different than racial or ethnic harassment, as far as I am concerned.

How do you know WHAT IN THE HELL I say in front of my computer? How do you know WHAT IN THE HELL I communicate to my Congressmen and Senators about American policy?

So, you consider yourself a "nationalist" now? A few months ago you considered yourself a "militant." Whatever.

As far as Nike and child labor, I don't wear Nike products. In fact, I try to "Buy American" when I can, which reminds me, one night you came into chat asking "Where are U2's tour t-shirts manufactured?" When I informed you that they were "Made In U.S.A.," you seemed a bit disappointed and called of your planned protest. Maybe you could protest against them for being "occidental" to quote a word you like to use.

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by melon:
Hooray for postmodernism. I must remember to distrust my history textbooks for the future. It isn't a surprise, though, considering that the inaccuracies within textbooks are quite common.

No big deal; just another untruth brought to you by "revisionist history."

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 01-29-2002).]

so what ? buy american if you want, I don't fucking care, I really don't and encourage the usa industry, I don't fucking care, you are in your country and you encourage your industry, I don't mind. I'm in my part of the world, I do the same thing, what was your point ?

I don't recall calling you a southern wanker personally, but you seem very obsess with this forum, that's not my problem, go see a psychalanyst.

the point was that your comment was "american corporations don't have slaves". My point was "yes, they fucking do and its not only about your country". Every country does that, and I have no respect for that, the companies who do it, the people who ignore it. Yeah, ok, my last comment was rude... do we always have to be fucking politically correct ?

anyways, a guy said "people who want to change the wolrd are people with intense frustration"" I agree with him. I'm fucking frustrated against corporations.

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : www.unesco.org

Ej?rcito Zapatista de Liberaci?n Nacional (EZLN) : www.ezln.org
"The one who governs with weapons is surely poor in ideas" - Marcos

Solidarit?s : <A HREF="http://www.solidarites.org

Parti" TARGET=_blank>www.solidarites.org

Parti</A> pour une Alternative Progressiste : www.parti-rap.org

but you seem very obsess with this forum, that's not my problem, go see a psychalanyst.

Better suggestion for you: don't participate in debate forums if you are going to use that tactic.

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 01-29-2002).]

so what , duh...uh...? buy amehican if you want, uh, I don't fuckigg care, uh uh uh, I real don't 'n encourage de usa industry, I don't fuckigg care, uh uh uh, you are in your country 'n you encourage your industry, I don't mind. I'm in my part of the, uh, the world, uh uh uh uh, I do the, ERRRR, same digg, what was your poit , duh...uh...? I don't recall calligg you a soudehn wankeh pehsonal, but you seem behy obsess wid dis f'um, dat's not my progglem, go see a psychalanyss. de poit was dat your commin was "amehican corporashuns don't habe slabes". My poit was "yes, duuhhhh, dey fuckigg do 'n its not on bou' your country". Ebehy country does dat, uh, 'n I habe no repeck f' dat, uh, the, errr, c'panies who do it, uh, de peoble who ignore it. Duh, yeah, ok, my last commin was rude... do webuh allays habe t' be fuckigg political correck , duh...uh...? anyways, duuhhhh, a guy said "peoble who want t' change the, uh, the wolrd are peoble wid intense frustrashun"" I agree wid him. I'm fuckigg frustratid against corporashuns.

What are you trying to say here?

CK

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
melon!! Bravo!!! I totally agree. I thought I was over in left field all by myself.

I give her some credit too (Julian notwithstanding). She was afterall John Lennon's soul mate.

Originally posted by melon:
And the only reason American corporations aren't in Sudan is because they are forbidden at the federal level. If it were not regulated, I'm sure they'd be there competing with the Canadians to see who can oppress the most laborers.

Well, you could at least throw the federal government a bone just this once.

Originally posted by speedracer:
Well, you could at least throw the federal government a bone just this once.

True. And I do. I believe that government regulation is the only thing that prevents corporations from fucking over everyone and everything. It is amazing how profit can motivate the end of morality.

I'm glad the federal government had the insight to stop this. It is too bad they don't stop virtual slave labor, as in the pitiful wages that American corporations legally give out, due to ineffectual or weak foreign governments.

Melon

------------------

Holy John, didn't anyone ever tell you that backing up your arguments with personal insults totally discredits anything you are trying to say?
As if anyone is going to listen to your points when you personally bash those who don't agree with you.

Originally posted by Charlie's Angel:
Holy John, didn't anyone ever tell you that backing up your arguments with personal insults totally discredits anything you are trying to say?
As if anyone is going to listen to your points when you personally bash those who don't agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom