U2 and Sexuality - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 08:53 AM
U2 and Sexuality

How Bono, and/or the band, considering their christian faith (or more likely christian moral), faces the homosexuality issue?

Do (or did) they support gay rights moviments? Does "One" video give glimpses about their opinion about that?

Thanks.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:53 AM
I read a Bono quote somewhere once saying 'however two people want to love each other is find by me' (i dont have the exact quote, but thats the gist of it). So that sounds pretty pro homosexuality.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by partygirlvox
I read a Bono quote somewhere once saying 'however two people want to love each other is find by me' (i dont have the exact quote, but thats the gist of it). So that sounds pretty pro homosexuality.
*fine. obviously not find!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:53 AM
Re: U2 and Sexuality

Quote:
Originally posted by cristiano
How Bono, and/or the band, considering their christian faith (or more likely christian moral), faces the homosexuality issue?

Do (or did) they support gay rights moviments? Does "One" video give glimpses about their opinion about that?

Thanks.

U2 have always been strong supporters of gay rights and many of their albums and tours have (sometimes inadvertantly) explored gay themes -- from the colors, discoballs and costumes of Popmart to some of the lyrics on Boy (especially "Twilight"), they've always been well aware that they have a sizeable gay fan base (probably due to their lack of machismo and lack of gender-specificity in their love songs) and have had them since the beginning. you should check out Until the End of the World by Bill Flanagan, where Larry talks about how much he likes and respects the gay community, and also how they tend to go to gay clubs after concerts to unwind because they are left alone.

as for "one," certainly the video spells out a pro-gay rights message about acceptance of difference and the universality of love, but i think in Bono's most recent interview in Rolling Stone (last December) he pretty much laid bare the fact that the original inspiration for the lyrics of "one" was a coming out story between a friend of his and his friend's father, that it's almost a conversation between the two of them, and when you read the lyrics, not only does it make sense, but the level of insight and understanding and compassion with which Bono rights is a great indicator of how familiar he is with the struggles of the coming out process.

REM aside, i'm not sure you could find a more pro-gay big rock band.

as for the Christian faith question, i'm not sure they feel as if loving and accpeting and embracing gay people and being Christians are at all in conflict. in fact, my hunch is that they would argue that reaching out to those who are different and who are discriminated against (especially by those who claim the lable "Christian") is precisely what Christ himself would have done.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:31 PM   #5
The Fly

Chapter and page from the book? Thanks
Old 07-05-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
The Fly

Re: Re: U2 and Sexuality

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

as for the Christian faith question, i'm not sure they feel as if loving and accpeting and embracing gay people and being Christians are at all in conflict. in fact, my hunch is that they would argue that reaching out to those who are different and who are discriminated against (especially by those who claim the lable "Christian") is precisely what Christ himself would have done.
Yes, Christ would indeed reach out to discriminated people, and in fact have done that. But He did that not only to accept them but in fact to cure these people, spiritually or physically speaking, when it was needed to do so, as (greatly) proved in Bible.

Thanks for the info of the band's view in this subject. You helped a lot.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:53 AM
Re: Re: U2 and Sexuality

Quote:

Absolutely!!!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by partygirlvox
Here's the quote you're looking for:

"OK. My bottom line on any sexuality is that love is the most important thing. That love is it. Any way people want to love each other is OK by me. That's different from abuse, be it homosexual or heterosexual."

That's from the Mother Jones Interview in 1989. Here's a link to the whole article:
http://www.motherjones.com/arts/books/1989/05/bono.html
Old 07-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #9
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by biff

Here's the quote you're looking for:

"OK. My bottom line on any sexuality is that love is the most important thing. That love is it. Any way people want to love each other is OK by me. That's different from abuse, be it homosexual or heterosexual."

That's from the Mother Jones Interview in 1989. Here's a link to the whole article:
http://www.motherjones.com/arts/books/1989/05/bono.html
Cheers dude, i knew it was out there somewhere!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:17 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

In the 2005 Rolling Stone interview Bono made it very clear, I think. He said that any kind of discrimination is totally against what Christianity should be about.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:36 AM   #11
The Fly

Local Time: 06:53 PM
"Bottom line on sexuality..." Hahaha Freudian slip.

The Anglican Church in Britain tends to support gay rights doesn't it? Elton John got married to his fella.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:03 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: U2 and Sexuality

Quote:

Yes, Christ would indeed reach out to discriminated people, and in fact have done that. But He did that not only to accept them but in fact to cure these people, spiritually or physically speaking, when it was needed to do so, as (greatly) proved in Bible.

yes, but homosexuality is not something that can be cured. it is as immutable as heterosexuality and it is those with homophobic prejudices that need to be "cured," so to speak.

Quote:
Thanks for the info of the band's view in this subject. You helped a lot.
you're welcome -- i don't have the book with me, but i can look it up when i get home.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
The Fly

Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 and Sexuality

Quote:

yes, but homosexuality is not something that can be cured. it is as immutable as heterosexuality and it is those with homophobic prejudices that need to be "cured," so to speak.
Well, I disagree with that, and associations like MOSES (in Brazil, acronym for "moviment for the healthy sexuality") and some others churchs too. In fact, also the Bible, because if it's a sin, like the Bible shows it is, it can be cured by the healing love of Jesus. Every wrong behaviour from our corrupted state, that it's not God's design of life for us and originated in sin, despite what we think about it, can be cured by Grace's God, by Love's God, in Jesus, and it's not immutable at all. Only God is immutable.

The question is wheter the Society consider it as sin or not. Many, as you, don't, and I respect that. Others, like me, disgust only the sin (specially mine, because I'm not perfect), not the sinners, so I'm not homophobic.

I think the Church must help all, whoever and whatever the problem they have, and if they want, shows the healing Grace of God, stating firmly what are the problems to be solved in love.

As Jesus done, conforms registered in the Bible: destroying the sin for the love of the sinner, as a doctor, who wants to destroy the illness for the love of the ill

Well, I know many will disagree with me, and I truly respect you. Thanks again for the information.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:52 PM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:53 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 and Sexuality

Quote:

In fact, also the Bible, because if it's a sin, like the Bible shows it is, it can be cured by the healing love of Jesus.
I'm not going to get into a debate, but I would suggest that you may want to research the context and origins of interpretation of these paticular verses that you think says it's a sin. I think you may change your view.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 and Sexuality

Quote:

Well, I disagree with that, and associations like MOSES (in Brazil, acronym for "moviment for the healthy sexuality") and some others churchs too. In fact, also the Bible, because if it's a sin, like the Bible shows it is, it can be cured by the healing love of Jesus. Every wrong behaviour from our corrupted state, that it's not God's design of life for us and originated in sin, despite what we think about it, can be cured by Grace's God, by Love's God, in Jesus, and it's not immutable at all. Only God is immutable.

The question is wheter the Society consider it as sin or not. Many, as you, don't, and I respect that. Others, like me, disgust only the sin (specially mine, because I'm not perfect), not the sinners, so I'm not homophobic.

I think the Church must help all, whoever and whatever the problem they have, and if they want, shows the healing Grace of God, stating firmly what are the problems to be solved in love.

As Jesus done, conforms registered in the Bible: destroying the sin for the love of the sinner, as a doctor, who wants to destroy the illness for the love of the ill

Well, I know many will disagree with me, and I truly respect you. Thanks again for the information.

i would encourage you to check out some posts in FYM by a guy named Melon -- he knows a tremendous amount about the Bible and disagrees that the Bible condemns homosexuality at all, and that it's mostly due to errors of translations. i don't know nearly enough to argue these points, but i do know it's a point of contention.

also, being gay myself, i have an issue with anyone claiming that the way that i was hardwired to love as designed by god himself is somehow wrong or sinful or in need of redemption, and i would imagine that U2 would agree with me -- being artists and musicians, i am certain they know many, many gay people and i am also fairly certain that they do not view being gay as a sin from which a gay person needs redemption.

however, i do appreciate the respectful manner in which you've presented your opinions.