U2 and God - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2001, 11:30 PM   #1
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 06:16 PM
U2 and God

If someone loves U2 but doesn't believe in God...are they a hypocrite?

------------------
I'm too sexy for my cat

Old 12-10-2001, 11:44 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:16 PM
No, but I am for liking U2 yet having conservative political leanings!

Old 12-10-2001, 11:49 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama:
No, but I am for liking U2 yet having conservative political leanings!
Ha ha!

Old 12-11-2001, 12:03 AM   #4
Kid A

ugh...

alright, if you like George Harrison, does that mean you are a hypocrite?
Old 12-11-2001, 12:46 AM   #5
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

It's not that I necessarily think that person would be a hypocrite, but it's that I can't understand why they would listen to U2 if they were a total atheist. I think a person from any spiritual tradition can get something out of U2's music, but if I were atheist, I don't know how much appeal a *lot* of their work would have for me.

Incidentally, this might be why I stopped listening to Tori Amos as much as I used to. I still have just about everything she's ever done, but it was not always easy going listening to her as I tried to discover my Christianity.

A lot of the music I listen to doesn't say anything one way or the other about God, and that's fine with me too.

Sidebar: I *can't stand* Creed.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono
Old 12-11-2001, 01:07 AM   #6
Kid A

by that argument, I would say how can someone who is conservative tolerate U2's liberal tendencies?

The answer is simple. U2 encompasses almost every aspect of life in their songs, and whether or not one is religious or not religious, or pro-gun or anti-gun, or whatever the case may be, I think most humans can find something to relate to in the songs, something that speaks to them -- whether it be the soul, the heart, the sex, the politics, the empathy, the glamour, the satire, the sincerity or the sheer coolness of it all -- U2 transcends all of this better than any other band on earth, so even if you don't relate to one particular aspect of the songs, there is enough substance, enough depth, to appreciate all the rest of it.
Old 12-11-2001, 01:09 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:16 PM
Is that how you reconcile your worship of gnomes with your U2 fandom, The Wanderer?
Old 12-11-2001, 01:13 AM   #8
Kid A

and also, I think U2 is a bit more ambiguous than some people give them credit for; some people seem to always go searching for the religious aspect or interpretation of a song; for instance, a song like "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" is considered a "gospel tune" by Bono, but many people who listen to that song hear a different message -- one of hope and longing, searching for happiness and peace of mind, perhaps love... and not neccessarily relating it directly to religion

Old 12-11-2001, 01:17 AM   #9
Kid A

gnomes make great pets, and as we all know, it's ok to love your pets, just not love your pets, so no, I don't worship them, but I do love them
Old 12-11-2001, 01:44 AM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 10:16 PM
All of creation testifies that there is a God. U2 happens to be shining their light very brightly, but that doesn't mean someone will change personal beliefs, even as they love the band members.

Plenty of people do follow Judeo-Christian principles without believing in God. I sang Christmas carols before I was Christian. So there is precedent for "hypocracy" but we never call it that.

God loves you even when you don't acknowledge him, and he is always trying to bring you into relationship with him.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:36 AM   #11
ONE<br>love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Listening to U2 is in itself a spiritual experience. I personally can't help but feel refreshed and invigorated and inspired after listening to them! But that doesn't mean that someone who doesn't believe in the same faith as U2 is a hypocrite for listening to them...that would be like, well I don't know, but it's not wrong on any level.

hippy

------------------
One love, one life...
Give peace a chance!
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Bono: I don't walk, I swagger! I sashayed once, but just once. It wasn't for me.
Old 12-11-2001, 04:22 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:16 PM
Well, I listen to U2 for the same reason I love listening to any artist or a band: because I like their music and Bono's voice. Lyrics were always of a least importance to me as far as listening to band/artist is concerned, anyway, and I rarely care about interpreting them in any way. Emotionally-wise, I just respond to the sounds and melodies more than I do to the meaning of the song.
Old 12-11-2001, 08:40 AM   #13
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora:

Incidentally, this might be why I stopped listening to Tori Amos as much as I used to. I still have just about everything she's ever done, but it was not always easy going listening to her as I tried to discover my Christianity.

Paxetaurora, I struggle with the same thing too, as I am a huge Tori Amos fan. But I listen to her mostly for her skills in piano, hoping to pick up a few tips from her now and then; I admire her genius in that area as well as her inspiring songwriting. But yes, some of her lyrics bug me, like Father Lucifer ("father lucifer you never looked so sane/you always did prefer the drizzles to the rain/...how's the Lizzies/how's your Jesus Christ been hanging"). However, I don't let that kind of thinking influence me. It is the same as listening to a friend yap about atheism or Christian-bashing all day--it's an annoying mosquito bite and nothing more. Also, I think that if one feels that one is pliable or impressionable, then one should stay away from such influences, as you have wisely done.

Old 12-11-2001, 11:00 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I can't listen to Amos or Melissa Etheridge. Not only do I not like Etheridge's style of music, she has an unabashed anti-Christian view on life. Some of her lyrics include the phrase "the myth of the cross".
Old 12-11-2001, 05:42 PM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 02:16 PM
U2 is my only god

[This message has been edited by CannibalisticArtist (edited 12-14-2001).]