U2 and God - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2001, 12:08 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Trash Can:
but rather seem to love to self-righteously kick the none-believer with one sandaled foot, while inserting other foot deeply into mouth.
That would require some serious gymnastics skills.

Old 12-15-2001, 12:10 PM   #47
War Child

Local Time: 09:38 AM
Ok some of the songs you can't hide the meanings and the fact they are reffering to God however some you can. People may be fans and interpret the songs differently which was how U2 especially Bono designed the songs to be left to interpretation. Also they may like the songs for the sound and atmosphere and not for the lyrical content. I don't think they would be hypocrites.

I suppose another way of looking at it is two friends go to a football match. One is a huge fan of one of the teams playing and the other isn't really into football much. At the end of the game both friends had a great time. One because their team won and the other because the atmosphere was electric.

Both got different things from the game but the end result of satisfaction and enjoyment is the same.

[This message has been edited by UV2001 (edited 12-15-2001).]

Old 12-15-2001, 01:11 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer:
That would require some serious gymnastics skills.

Or yoga.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:45 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieSG:

The interesting thing is that despite Bono's heavy reliance on his faith in his songwriting, and the Christian beliefs of Larry and The Edge, Adam is still an atheist!

Actually, I remember reading somewhere or hearing Adam say he does believe in God, but isn't a born-again Christian.

I also remember reading somewhere where Bono had helped him reconcile a lot of his doubt. But that was like a year ago, I have no clue where I saw it.

[This message has been edited by UnforgettableLemon (edited 12-16-2001).]
Old 12-17-2001, 01:09 AM   #50
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
Actually, I remember reading somewhere or hearing Adam say he does believe in God, but isn't a born-again Christian.

I also remember reading somewhere where Bono had helped him reconcile a lot of his doubt. But that was like a year ago, I have no clue where I saw it.

[This message has been edited by UnforgettableLemon (edited 12-16-2001).]
Thanks for the correction! I wonder what type of belief system he subscribes to?

Old 12-17-2001, 02:55 AM   #51
War Child

Local Time: 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:

OOOOOOOOOOHHH NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
that's it, i'm burning all my U2 CD's.
Old 12-17-2001, 05:45 AM   #52
Refugee

I think we should be talking solely about the lyrics that Bono writes, not the whole band. U2 has never been a 100%, christian rock band, so I don't see why anyone would feel compelled to be both a Christian and a fan. Look at Zoo Tv, where is the relgious undertones to that phase. Even Pop or Unforgettable Fire are essentially 'God-free records'.

Unlike most Christian rock bands, Bono's lyrics are applicable to several interpretations. One could be about God or your girlfriend, or your father, or whatever. With or Without You is the same way. There are a few songs that are quite blunt in their meaning "40" is perhaps the most religious. Even those songs that have adopted certain religious tones (In God's County, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Kite, Wake Up Dead Man, and The Wanderer) can very easily be interpreted as songs about the stuggles of the mind over matter or the relationships between good and evil. Not necessarily religious, but spiritual.

This is why non-Christians, like myself, can gain wisdom and joy from Bono's words.
Old 12-17-2001, 06:01 AM   #53
New Yorker

dano...

while i agree with alot of what u say, i cant agree about calling anything U2 has made 'God-free', PARTICULARLY Pop. That record is alot of heavy shit, most of it relating to the big questions of God...
Old 12-17-2001, 07:49 AM   #54
Refugee

Danospano;

I think you summarised everything quite wonderfully; people will see what they want to see in the art of U2. Atheists will see and relate to non-religious themes, while others will see differently, there is no set guide that says you MUST see this and that in the song. Having said that, brettig, you can't say that you agree with danospano and say that to some people some stuff of U2 can't be god-free, simply because if god does not exist to some people, they don't make that connection - the songs are essentially god-free to them. And if you ask me, there are some songs that may not have God in mind, I don't think 'Discoteque' is particularly theological, neither is 'Bullet the Blue Sky' or Sunday Bloody Sunday, you see; different people will see different things in the songs.

Ant.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:10 AM   #55
New Yorker

I think u must also consider what the artist had in mind when they wrote their material...while God may not exist to one listener, that listener cant deny that God exists to the artist and therefore permeates thru their work in any number of ways

Secondly- while this may be a bit of a preach, is there really anything that is God free?
Old 12-17-2001, 10:17 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano:

Unlike most Christian rock bands, Bono's lyrics are applicable to several interpretations. One could be about God or your girlfriend, or your father, or whatever. With or Without You is the same way. There are a few songs that are quite blunt in their meaning "40" is perhaps the most religious. Even those songs that have adopted certain religious tones (In God's County, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Kite, Wake Up Dead Man, and The Wanderer) can very easily be interpreted as songs about the stuggles of the mind over matter or the relationships between good and evil. Not necessarily religious, but spiritual.
Call me a constructionist, but I think the proper way to interpret a song is the way the author wants it to be interpreted.

That being said, I think one of Bono's talents as a songwriter is to deliberately construct lyrics that have multiple themes. Right now, my favorite example is "Walk On," which is about Aung San Suu Kyi's return to her native Burma *and* about the human longing for heaven.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 12-17-2001).]