U2 and God

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, we should have killed this discussion a while ago. My bad.

There's a nice collection of Bono's own thoughts on this topic at
www.mindspring.com/~twhite21/band/U2dquotes.html

including this one:

I'm frightened, but I'm not cynical or pessimistic about the future and a lot of that must come down to my beliefs. It is my belief in God that enables me to get up in the morning and face the world. I believe that there is a logic and a reason for everything. If I didn't believe that and thought that everything was simply down to chance, then I'd really be afraid. I wouldn't cross the road for fear of being run over.
February 1983

His reading of Psalm 116 on this tour says a lot about his faith.

[This message has been edited by DebbieSG (edited 12-12-2001).]

Originally posted by sv:
I understand U2's idea of God is important to some. But U2's idea of God (and yours or mine) has nothing to do with whatever God really is (if it exists). So perhaps what you're responding to is the fact that you happen to have similar beliefs with U2, and you like to see them referred to in their songs.

Exactly. But what you originally said was that the "concept of God" has nothing to do with U2. And that's just not true. Ask Bono is the "concept of God" has anything to do with U2, and he'd probably tell you it has EVERYTHING to do with U2. It's really what Bono is about.

True. I should have said, "God has nothing to do with U2" rather than referring to "the concept".

aaaackkkk! Too much semantics for me!

*runs away rubbing her head*

oww.

tongue.gif

I know I believe in God, in Jesus and what not. But I find that I have HUGE issues with Christians. Or, I should clarify, with fundamental Christians. It seems like they have lost everything that Christ said and force their religion on everybody else (which is the exact opposite of ANYTHING Christ said). By fundamental Christians I mean those that stand outside of AIDS clinics holding signs that say "AIDS is God's way of killing gays." I am 17 years old and I don't know. I have no idea what I believe. I am reading the Bible in an effort to better understand Christianity. That's the precise reason why I LOVE U2. They don't know either. That's SO comforting to me, to know that people who are FAR more educated about religion than I still don't know. It comes as a comfort to me when the words "I don't know" come out of any of their mouths in referece to religion it makes it clearer to me that nobody knows. There is no right, there is no wrong. Just beliefs. U2 has been, in addition to about 1000 other things, to me a release. I had been questioning LONG before I listened to U2, but when I did get stuck on them they encouraged questioning too. It was so- well, it was refreshing. I loved and still love it. I don't know, but someday I will.

------------------
Taste is the enemy of art.

Who IS this "sv" person, and where does his/her bitterness and FEAR of a God concept come from???? And how big a U2 fan can this person be if he/she says that God has nothing to do with U2???
Has this person EVER read ANY of Bono's lyrics???
ohh boy...
"I BELIEVE in the kingdom come
Then all the colors will bleed into one
Bleed into one
But yes I'm still running

You broke the bonds and you
Loosed the chains
Carried the cross
And all my shame
And all my shame
YOU KNOW I BELIEVE IT."

Well guess who Mr. Paul Hewson is singing about there!????? It aint about Madeline Murray O'Hare, Charles Darwin, or the "Meathead" from "All In the Family"!
And the songs "Gloria" and "Grace" are NOT about two hot chics!
Its fine if people enjoy U2 only for the "cool soundin' rock, duuuude!" or because "they are soooo dreamy!". Fine... but dont go and deny what Paul has worn on his sleeve, and believed in his heart and WRITTEN about for the last 20 years!
Perhaps I should be more understanding and patient with people like "sv", since I "WAS him" a few years back. Or perhaps its BECAUSE of that that I have little patience.At least for me, the Anti-God rhetoric that spewed out of my
mouth back then all came from extreme bitterness, anger, fear, and a helluva lot of pathetic self pity.

...whewwww... Well, now I'm probably gonna get an earful... So bring it on, then!!!!

So here's some more of Mr. Hewson's thoughts:

------------------
My love for you
It's in the things I do and say
If I wanna live I gotta
Die to myself someday.
Surrender.

Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist:
i'm an athiest, somebody save me.

That would be Jesus, of course!
smile.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist. That is who Bono is referring to in those lyrics. They are all based on scriptures from the New Testament, which to Christians is the Word of God. They sure inspired me, giving me a first lesson in Christianity so to speak.

The interesting thing is that despite Bono's heavy reliance on his faith in his songwriting, and the Christian beliefs of Larry and The Edge, Adam is still an atheist!
If he reconciles it, I guess the fans do too. If you aren't searching for God, you likely won't come away with the full meaning of those lyrics.

What's more obvious is that Bono acts on his faith by showing love and hope to people. That's when you know God is really there.

Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist:
i'm an athiest, somebody save me.

Hey, whatever rocks your boat, Cannibal. (and boy! does that kinda sarcasm bring back memories!)
That wasnt the point of my first reply. I wonder, do you, as an athiest, also think that Bono's lyrics have nothing to do with a belief in a God?

[This message has been edited by Trash Can (edited 12-14-2001).]

I think its amazing that I can tell you I know this guy named Ed who lives in Palm Beach and describe him in detail (because I know him so well), and you would believe me without me having to prove his existence...sight unseen if you will. But so help me if I try to do the same thing with God, you turn your back and close your ears just because so many ridiculous things have been done in His name by people who really didn't know Him at all.

You can't prove the existence of the wind, but you can feel it and see how it moves.

------------------
"Love is a verb..."

Originally posted by Trash Can:
Hey, whatever rocks your boat, Cannibal. (and boy! does that kinda sarcasm bring back memories!)
That wasnt the point of my first reply. I wonder, do you, as an athiest, also think that Bono's lyrics have nothing to do with a belief in a God?

[This message has been edited by Trash Can (edited 12-14-2001).]

you know, i do know bono believes in god, and i can respect him for that, after all i may think that god does not exist but that does not mean that it's true. it's a thing called tolerence, and i like to joke around it
wink.gif

Originally posted by Lilly:
I know I believe in God, in Jesus and what not. But I find that I have HUGE issues with Christians. Or, I should clarify, with fundamental Christians. It seems like they have lost everything that Christ said and force their religion on everybody else (which is the exact opposite of ANYTHING Christ said). By fundamental Christians I mean those that stand outside of AIDS clinics holding signs that say "AIDS is God's way of killing gays." I am 17 years old and I don't know. I have no idea what I believe. I am reading the Bible in an effort to better understand Christianity. That's the precise reason why I LOVE U2. They don't know either. That's SO comforting to me, to know that people who are FAR more educated about religion than I still don't know. It comes as a comfort to me when the words "I don't know" come out of any of their mouths in referece to religion it makes it clearer to me that nobody knows.
Hi Lilly, I don't know what you mean by fundamental Christians "forcing their beliefs" on people, but if you mean sharing their faith with non-Christians, then that's not against what Christ teached. In fact, as Christians, we are told to share our faith and to "go into all nations, making desciples of all men".
Also, I would differ with you that Bono "doesn't know' about Jesus. He is very sure of his faith, and that comes through very clear in his lyrics, his interview and everything.

BUT, while Jesus urged his disciples to shake the dust off their sandals as they left a village that would have none of it, I cringe at some present day "disciples" who not only do not shake the dust off, but rather seem to love to self-righteously kick the none-believer with one sandaled foot, while inserting other foot deeply into mouth.

I sometimes wonder if I wear those kind of sandals... God help me.

Peace

------------------
My love for you
It's in the things I do and say
If I wanna live I gotta
Die to myself someday.
Surrender.

Originally posted by Trash Can:
but rather seem to love to self-righteously kick the none-believer with one sandaled foot, while inserting other foot deeply into mouth.

That would require some serious gymnastics skills.

Ok some of the songs you can't hide the meanings and the fact they are reffering to God however some you can. People may be fans and interpret the songs differently which was how U2 especially Bono designed the songs to be left to interpretation. Also they may like the songs for the sound and atmosphere and not for the lyrical content. I don't think they would be hypocrites.

I suppose another way of looking at it is two friends go to a football match. One is a huge fan of one of the teams playing and the other isn't really into football much. At the end of the game both friends had a great time. One because their team won and the other because the atmosphere was electric.

Both got different things from the game but the end result of satisfaction and enjoyment is the same.

[This message has been edited by UV2001 (edited 12-15-2001).]

Originally posted by DebbieSG:

The interesting thing is that despite Bono's heavy reliance on his faith in his songwriting, and the Christian beliefs of Larry and The Edge, Adam is still an atheist!

Actually, I remember reading somewhere or hearing Adam say he does believe in God, but isn't a born-again Christian.

I also remember reading somewhere where Bono had helped him reconcile a lot of his doubt. But that was like a year ago, I have no clue where I saw it.

[This message has been edited by UnforgettableLemon (edited 12-16-2001).]

Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
Actually, I remember reading somewhere or hearing Adam say he does believe in God, but isn't a born-again Christian.

I also remember reading somewhere where Bono had helped him reconcile a lot of his doubt. But that was like a year ago, I have no clue where I saw it.

[This message has been edited by UnforgettableLemon (edited 12-16-2001).]

Thanks for the correction! I wonder what type of belief system he subscribes to?

I think we should be talking solely about the lyrics that Bono writes, not the whole band. U2 has never been a 100%, christian rock band, so I don't see why anyone would feel compelled to be both a Christian and a fan. Look at Zoo Tv, where is the relgious undertones to that phase. Even Pop or Unforgettable Fire are essentially 'God-free records'.

Unlike most Christian rock bands, Bono's lyrics are applicable to several interpretations. One could be about God or your girlfriend, or your father, or whatever. With or Without You is the same way. There are a few songs that are quite blunt in their meaning "40" is perhaps the most religious. Even those songs that have adopted certain religious tones (In God's County, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Kite, Wake Up Dead Man, and The Wanderer) can very easily be interpreted as songs about the stuggles of the mind over matter or the relationships between good and evil. Not necessarily religious, but spiritual.

This is why non-Christians, like myself, can gain wisdom and joy from Bono's words.

dano...

while i agree with alot of what u say, i cant agree about calling anything U2 has made 'God-free', PARTICULARLY Pop. That record is alot of heavy shit, most of it relating to the big questions of God...

Danospano;

I think you summarised everything quite wonderfully; people will see what they want to see in the art of U2. Atheists will see and relate to non-religious themes, while others will see differently, there is no set guide that says you MUST see this and that in the song. Having said that, brettig, you can't say that you agree with danospano and say that to some people some stuff of U2 can't be god-free, simply because if god does not exist to some people, they don't make that connection - the songs are essentially god-free to them. And if you ask me, there are some songs that may not have God in mind, I don't think 'Discoteque' is particularly theological, neither is 'Bullet the Blue Sky' or Sunday Bloody Sunday, you see; different people will see different things in the songs.

Ant.

I think u must also consider what the artist had in mind when they wrote their material...while God may not exist to one listener, that listener cant deny that God exists to the artist and therefore permeates thru their work in any number of ways

Secondly- while this may be a bit of a preach, is there really anything that is God free?

Originally posted by Danospano:

Unlike most Christian rock bands, Bono's lyrics are applicable to several interpretations. One could be about God or your girlfriend, or your father, or whatever. With or Without You is the same way. There are a few songs that are quite blunt in their meaning "40" is perhaps the most religious. Even those songs that have adopted certain religious tones (In God's County, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Kite, Wake Up Dead Man, and The Wanderer) can very easily be interpreted as songs about the stuggles of the mind over matter or the relationships between good and evil. Not necessarily religious, but spiritual.

Call me a constructionist, but I think the proper way to interpret a song is the way the author wants it to be interpreted.

That being said, I think one of Bono's talents as a songwriter is to deliberately construct lyrics that have multiple themes. Right now, my favorite example is "Walk On," which is about Aung San Suu Kyi's return to her native Burma *and* about the human longing for heaven.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 12-17-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom