U.S. Feds: Remove These Foods/Drinks from all Schools - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:04 AM
U.S. Feds: Remove These Foods/Drinks from all Schools

Trying to stay two steps ahead of the Food Police is getting harder and harder these days.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/us...nt&oref=slogin

Old 12-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:04 PM
Make them fat and die, woohoo...

Old 12-01-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Their intentions are of course good and school food could definitely be healthier and all around better.. Just thinking back to when I was in high school there were vending machines everywhere, but it's not like at lunch people would gorge themselves on pop and candy. Those that chose to eat from the vending machine would usually just get one thing and move on. Or get a drink from the machine and have it with what they brought from home. So I don't think that's entirely the problem. I actually find it goofy that schools are sponsored by Pepsi and Coca Cola in the first place.. If they really wanted to set an example they should get sponsors like Dole and Jolly Green Giant.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Our school's cafeteria is run by a separate company, and we don't have soda (only on sale after school), but essentially most things are there. Ice cream is available, some of the non-fat TastyKakes, etc. Plus we have a business class run school store that sells candy.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by AngelofHarlem01

Their intentions are of course good and school food could definitely be healthier and all around better.. Just thinking back to when I was in high school there were vending machines everywhere, but it's not like at lunch people would gorge themselves on pop and candy. Those that chose to eat from the vending machine would usually just get one thing and move on. Or get a drink from the machine and have it with what they brought from home. So I don't think that's entirely the problem. I actually find it goofy that schools are sponsored by Pepsi and Coca Cola in the first place.. If they really wanted to set an example they should get sponsors like Dole and Jolly Green Giant.
Exactly. I'm all for the effort to be healthy and everything, I think it's great that people are working to take care of themselves. But I also think stuff like this is a bit overboard. If you don't want to get something from a vending machine, THEN DON'T. But if someone else wants to, that's their choice to deal with, not anyone else's concern. Besides, you can ban the stuff all you want, a kid could still try and sneak in a bottle of pop or a candy bar or something anyway. An all-out ban is NOT going to solve the health problem, hate to break it to these people. Just continue to educate people on what foods are healthy and what foods aren't, and then let each person decide for themselves what they want to eat.

And besides, moderation is good. No, one's diet shouldn't consist of junk food and junk food alone. But if you eat a candy bar or drink some pop once in a while, it's not anything to fret over, really.

Angela
Old 12-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

they took all the soda out of the soda machines prior to the start of the school year... they've been replaced by some lame non-poweraid poweraid drink and a bunch of v8 mix things.

it's killing my 1:00 caffene fix
Old 12-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Um, I would not have made it through high school conscious if it weren't for our school's contract with Pepsi. I needed at least 20oz of Mountain Dew in me by 9:30 in order to deal.

If parents don't want their kids eating/drinking that stuff, then don't give them money. If kids buy it with their own money, then who cares it's their money!
Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

The problem is that childhood obesity leads to adult health problems that cost the health care industry money. Better to fight the battle while kids are young.

I think it is a good move.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

i understand not having it in elementary schools but they should be allowed in high schools.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

They'd have to pry that can of Diet Coke out of my dead, cold hands!

Actually I grew up in a house where we were not allowed to drink pop, so it was like a luxury/poison we got when we went to our friends' houses. Really all it did is delay the inevitable; although neither my brother nor I drink the non-diet kind anyway.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

I can't look back to my high school years without picturing every other desk in every class with a can of whatever their poison was on top of their desk.

Diet Coke was (and still is) mine.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #12
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Remember Jolt cola? I drank that on a bus ride from Philly to Long Island when I was 12 and I think by the time we got to Staten Island they had to put me down with electric cow prods and horse tranquilizer darts. That shit was nuts.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:04 AM
^ Well that explains it... your avatar is actually a photo of you taken just before the darts struck, isn't it?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #14
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

lol, actually yeah. I was kinda like that, but with a bit more drool I think.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:58 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

I love soda. I hate that it's not available at school.

Caffeine has no effect on me. Whether I have it or not, I have the same amount of energy.