U.S. Feds: Remove These Foods/Drinks from all Schools - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

As university faculty I'm eligible for reduced-rate membership at our campus athletic facilities; it's a couple hundred bucks per year (free for students).
Ditto, but it's totally free for me (FTE staff). Right now I don't go because we are rebuilding our athletic facility. The weight room and gym are open, but you'd have to go before the buttcrack of dawn to get on the equipment without pre-signing up for it. If I'm still around when the new facility opens, I will use it.

We also have a program called Health By Choice that faculty and staff can do through our health insurance. This year I get $100 cash back just for getting my annual exam and tests, doing agility with my dog, and walking my dogs. We recently hired a "Director of Campus Wellness" who has developed programs for faculty and staff, not just students. For example, before Thanksgiving we could do this thing where we get weighed and put $10 in a pot. If you weigh the same after new year's, you get $10 back. If you weigh less, you get more; if you weigh more, you get less. We also have a "pedometer challenge" where you always wear a pedometer and are on a team with other faculty and staff. My boss wants me on his team b/c I walk dogs and often walk home from work, lol.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:42 AM
Quote:
Dread can correct me if I'm wrong here, but actually, I think it's the case that as of now, 90%+ of the country's school districts DO have Phys Ed requirements--it's more that they're poorly enforced, and with the expansion of the academic curriculum in recent years, schools have found it harder and harder to make time for gym classes.
Yeah, hopefully we can get some clarification on exact numbers of how many places still require gym class and whatnot. But what you say is right-I definitely agree that that's part of the problem.

Quote:
I think better nutrition and better exercise are complementary goals, though, and I doubt that many people who support restricting junk food in schools are opposed in principle to increasing PE time. Adressing one doesn't cancel out the importance of addressing the other.
I fully agree with you on this-if I came off saying different in my post, I apologize, should've clarified that better.

Quote:
The difference is that when you're an adult monitoring your own diet, or a parent monitoring your child's diet, the entire budget for that food is coming out of your own individual pocket, and the effort of putting it on the table is yours alone as well. You can, of course, expand that to your children's school lunches by having them bring their own--and to judge from the article at least, the proposed legislation would have no effect on what home-packed lunches might include. But traditionally, it's been seen as both valuable and necessary for schools themselves to offer prepared meals to students--not for the purpose of establishing an in-school 'marketplace' where students can buy whatever they feel like eating, but to help ensure their nourishment, especially for children whose parents might be on tight food budgets, or negligent about providing meals themselves. It's a function of the school in its capacity as provider of social goods, drawing on funds supplied by the total community it serves.
This is true. And I have no problem with making sure the prepared foods are as healthy as possible. Hardened rolls, expired milk, finding cockroaches in the cafeteria...and people wonder why I tried to avoid the prepared lunches as much as possible at my school.

I just feel that taking away the vending machines and things of that nature isn't really any better a solution to the problem.

Quote:
I do agree that the most important influences are those that come from home. If parents are routinely letting their kids eat junk food and sit around on their butts all day when not in school, then for schools to ban sales of junk food and require more PE is unlikely to adequately lay the foundation for a lifetime of good eating and exercise habits. But again, I don't think that's a good reason for schools to not prioritize what's in the longterm best interests of public health--whether that takes the form of promoting better nutrition, or promoting more exercise; and whether every individual student and parent are happy about it or not.
Prioritizing things is fine, and the more education kids get about being healthy, the better. Just that, again, I don't see how flat out banning junk food will help the problem. Basically, Canadiens1160 said everything much better than I did.

And yes, parents need to do their job. Chocolate as part of a diet plan for adults really isn't any healthier, but too many adults are so willing to buy into that sort of thing, and then they turn around and tell their kids junk food is bad, and it doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
If schools can ban hugging I don't see why banning certain foods and soda is over the line either. Hugs are much healthier.
I think hug bans are just as ludicrous as banning certain foods and drinks. I'm not getting this new idea where it's suddenly a bad thing if you give a friend a quick hug at school....

That's interesting about those who can't stand regular pop now. About the only diet pop I can handle is diet Dr. Pepper, and really, if you're addicted to diet pop, I can't imagine that's a whole lot better an alternative to the regular drink. What kills me is the caffiene-free diet drinks. So...you're basically drinking colored water, then? Yum.

Also, amen to randhail-keep gym a pass/fail subject only. Yes.

Angela

Old 12-04-2007, 06:52 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:42 PM
Childhood obesity is a problem. When I was in school, we drank milk. Milk is my favorite drink. I like Coke, but I wasn't allowed to drink that when I was a kid because of the caffeine.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Wow, we weren't even allowed gum during class back in my day...I feel so old.
We weren't either. We got into a whole bunch of trouble if we got caught chewing gum.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

PE was required in Alabama when I was a kid. I wonder if it still is?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Also, amen to randhail-keep gym a pass/fail subject only. Yes.

I agree, although our high school and college gym/PE requirements were more than just exercise. We had to look at studies on health and nutrition, safety, etc and were tested on that. The actual physical stuff pretty much WAS pass/fail. You show up and play/work out, you get the points. I don't have a problem with the other parts being graded though. For example, when you are learning first aid or CPR, you really DO have to know it correctly!
Old 12-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know-on the other hand I don't want young girls afraid to eat junk food once in a while because they'll get "fat" like Jennifer Love Hewitt is in her bikini. That is seriously messed up.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

SPARTANBURG, South Carolina (CNN) — Fred Thompson wants the government to keep its hands off your dinner plate.

That's what he told a questioner Tuesday in South Carolina, anyway.

Standing about 15 feet away from a mouth-watering steam tray buffet loaded with fried chicken, creamed corn and macaroni and cheese at Wade's Southern Cooking in Spartanburg, Thompson dismissed the idea that preventative care and wellness education should be central features of a government's health care system.

"I'm telling you, I don’t think that it’s the primary responsibility of the federal government to tell you what to eat," Thompson said to applause when asked if his health care plan included any details on preventative care, a priority for Democratic candidates.

"The fact of the matter is we got an awful lot of knowledge,” said the former Tennessee senator. “Sometimes we don’t have a whole lot of will power, and I don’t know of any government program that's going to instill that."

Thompson, ever a fan of small government, said healthy living should be the responsibilities of families first.

"We shouldn’t be looking at the federal government in Washington first and working our way down, it ought to be just the other way around. With that, or whether you're talking about education, there's some things the federal government can't do," said Thompson.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I don't know-on the other hand I don't want young girls afraid to eat junk food once in a while because they'll get "fat" like Jennifer Love Hewitt is in her bikini. That is seriously messed up.

That was such a ridiculous statement by that magazine.
And the next day they are probably writing an article bemoaning how the pressure on teenagers with today's "beauty standards" is causing a rise in bulimia and anorexia.

She really has a wonderful body and what some people define as "fat around the hips" is just terrible.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

That was such a ridiculous statement by that magazine.
And the next day they are probably writing an article bemoaning how the pressure on teenagers with today's "beauty standards" is causing a rise in bulimia and anorexia.

She really has a wonderful body and what some people define as "fat around the hips" is just terrible.
Nice comments thank you. It doesn't just affect teenage girls either, speaking for myself only it affects me and I am not a teenager. At least I don't have to have my body scrutinized and picked apart and made fun of online and in magazines. I could never deal with that. She was on the beach with her boyfriend celebrating her engagement.

If we are going to emphasize this "no junk food" with kids, we also need to foster and maintain a proper attitude about weight and body image from a very early age. It must be kept in a certain perspective.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

By the way, I hate diet pop . Tastes like crap."

Diet drinks are like crack cocaine, drink one and you wanna another.
The body is never satisfied.

And if you have the time to search diet drinks and artificial sweetners...you may find some reasons why we have this obesity problem today.

On every media I heard a story today on America's obesity problem they stated that it began in the late 70s. That is the same time that soda companies and a host of other food companies switched from pure cane sugar (a more expensive item at the time) to high fructose corn syrup.

HFTCS is still cheaper than dirt and is in many food products, including some those healthy granola bars.

I think HFTCS and the lack of physical activity are the two major reasons why we have this problem.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #57
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

Diet drinks are like crack cocaine, drink one and you wanna another.
The body is never satisfied.
Not me, I've only had one diet drink and that was enough for me...

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

And if you have the time to search diet drinks and artificial sweetners...you may find some reasons why we have this obesity problem today.
So diet drinks cause obesity?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #58
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Stupid double post...
Old 12-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Not me, I've only had one diet drink and that was enough for me...
Ditto.

I did see something in the Yahoo! headlines about diet drinks possibly being unhealthy for you or something like that-I didn't get a chance to read the article, though. But I'll go see if I can find it and post it here.

And totally agreed on what MrsSpringsteen said, too. There needs to be a happy medium. Being extremely overweight is not healthy, but neither is being extremely thin. I don't think Jennifer Love Hewitt is "fat" at ALL-quite the contrary, I think she looks just fine, and anyone who does think she's "fat" needs their eyes checked, I'd say.

Angela
Old 12-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah they are unhealthy, but blaming diet drinks for the obesity problem is