U.S. colleges + ... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2003, 12:24 PM   #31
She's the One

Local Time: 03:57 AM
My friend who went to NYU hated it, so add that to the list of evilness.

Old 03-02-2003, 12:50 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
Notre Dame

*gives wanderer a big

Old 03-02-2003, 01:21 PM   #33
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Thanks a lot for your opinions, Khananda Rhodes and U2Bama. (Khananda: I want the "ultra elite" job - what didya think ?).
of course!

me, i'm actually transferring from a state university to a local community college. so maybe i'm not a good person to ask.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

I had a professor who got his PhD in Berkeley, and his comment to us was that if you are going into biomedical research, it doesn't matter where you did your undergrad or how well you scored on tests. The most important factor in deciding on a grad school is whose laboratory you would be doing your work, because laboratory research is something that can be taught.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:26 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:57 AM
well i am presently on the cusp of grad school decision making.
im from canada and presently still am here, but it looks like it will be an equitable decision between canada, the us and the uk.

i feel confident that i will get into MIT for communications studies...in fact im less confident that ill get into my present school, carleton university (a minor player even on the canadian scene) because there is a specific prof. with which i have to be with and he is quite competitive.

first i need to decide if i even want to go or not.

in the end tho...its what martha said.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:49 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

i agree with martha too. particularly this part:

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I'm coming off all bitchy again, but this buddy of yours is a snob, and it's kind of pissing me off.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:24 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi
well i am presently on the cusp of grad school decision making.
im from canada and presently still am here, but it looks like it will be an equitable decision between canada, the us and the uk.
Come to the UK!!!!

What schools are you looking at?
Old 03-02-2003, 05:07 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie

Come to the UK!!!!

What schools are you looking at?
mostly schools in canada because i know them better and the people there.

in the US: MIT's comparative media studies masters has caught my eye...columbia journo is always on everyones wish list

in the UK i am even more uncertain...one of my profs taught at strathclyde and loved it...basically anything with an interesting media/journalism course would deserve a look.

how easy is it to do school overseas? would it help if i was a british citizen?...i can get citizenship through my father...
Old 03-02-2003, 05:54 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi

mostly schools in canada because i know them better and the people there.

in the US: MIT's comparative media studies masters has caught my eye...columbia journo is always on everyones wish list

in the UK i am even more uncertain...one of my profs taught at strathclyde and loved it...basically anything with an interesting media/journalism course would deserve a look.

how easy is it to do school overseas? would it help if i was a british citizen?...i can get citizenship through my father...
If you could get citizenship, you might not have to pay overseas tuition (I'm not sure whether or not there's a residency requirement). You're pretty well set, though, being from a Commonwealth country because you can easily get a work permit and qualify for a lot of scholarships/fellowships that non-Commonwealth, non-EU international students don't. Also, most Masters programs in the UK are only one year long (some two) full-time. Doing all the paperwork for studying in the UK is much easier than I thought it would be, and as I said, you have a lot of things working in your favour, so it would be no problem.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:01 PM   #40
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
And another question: do you absolutely need 2 yrs of driving experience to get a fine job in the U.S.?
Let's see...I'm twenty years old and still don't have a driver's license...so...man, I hope not.

I plan on moving to a major city after I graduate from my *very fine* college, like New York City or Philadelphia, so I won't ever have to be bothered with a car.

Join Amnesty.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:23 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

LOL...don't worry about the driver's license.

Melon
Old 03-03-2003, 12:04 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:57 PM
Ok, good to know.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:14 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:57 AM
ok - i'm breaking my posting vacation to reply to this one cos the first post sorta irked me a bit. (not in a "owow do i hate hiphop" way, more in a "interesting how we're perceived" way)

in keeping with american ideals, universities are what you make of them. no, graduating high school is not the hardest job on earth. but in america, the point of high school is to get people who have some sort of education and know something about the civil war and who can properly construct a sentence. it used to be that only people who really were motivated or really talented went on to college.

i think one thing that foreigners tend not to understand is that there are 3 different types of universities in the u.s:

-the vocational school / technical school: these are 2 year colleges where you specialize in one certain area. example, machining. once a person graduates from college and they know they forever want to be a machinist, they head to a two year college to specialize solely in that skill.

- state colleges and universities: these are school that are supported by the state (so are vocational and tech schools). the misconception about state universities is that they are easy and don't take much intelligence to attend. well, take me for example. i got accepted into both notre dame and the university of south dakota, but i opted for usd. why? oyeah, cos i'm poor and can't afford huge ass loans. but it doesn't mean that i'm not challenged by usd. but like i was saying before, state schools speak more directly back to the american ideal of "you make yourself." state schools tend to be larger because they, yes, are easier to get into and are federally and state funded, so the costs are driven WAY down ( ). but in that larger atmosphere you have to try harder to be recognized academically, so you take the classes that will challenge you, that you will learn from the most.

private universities: these are universities and colleges like yale, harvard, notre dame, etc. they receive no money from the government, because they are in the private sector. their standards are higher than state universities. they offer more liberal arts degrees than state schools (philosophy, history, other theory based degrees). the classes they take (i've got a lot of friends who went to private schools) classes that are....less...*tries to think of ways to say this* fact driven and more theory and discussion. i'm not sure how that helps you once you get a job, but ok. they get paid more when they graduate, but are not hired as readily. (and to give you a comparison of costs, my entire school (dorms, food, books, fees, etc) costs what my friend who goes to a "cheap" private school pays only for her dorms.)

in college there are also more rigorous requirements. to get my bachelor of arts degree i still have to take 6 credits of a math and 6 credits of a natural science. but as long as you're thinking of studying in the states, keep the "you make yourself" ideal in mind, because that really is the key to anything.

by the by, when i'm a junior i'm going to spend a year abroad and i will earn an erasmus degree as well as a degree from the university to which i attend. so i'll have at least 4 degrees when i graduate.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:33 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:57 PM
Maybe I should have made the Erasmus stuff, but its a little late now, Ive nearly finished. Go ahead, do it
Old 03-03-2003, 03:48 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:57 AM
Quote:
I want some opinions of melon, STING2 and nbcrusader - and I want your opinion too, estimated reader.
In the states, I would rank universities in three groups. First are the handful of elite institutions, whose names are recognized and carry weight across the country. Harvard, Yale, MIT, etc. come to mind.

The second tier are excellent universities, whose names carry a significant local impact or an impact in a particular industry. Cornell, for example, is known for its Hotel Management program. University of Southern California's name carries significant weight in California, but less so outside of California. This second tier might include 40-100 institutions.

The third tier would be the rest of the universities.

Name recognition helps - it is an undeniable fact. But the university experience is what you make of it. Is the person who slides through Stanford with an "A" average (and, of course, when you go to Stanford, you deserve an "A") better than someone who challenges themselves at another, less recognized, university with an "A" average? I think not.

I hope this is of some help. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.