U.S. colleges + ... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2003, 05:38 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:11 AM
All I know is that it seems much easier to get accepted to postgraduate programs in the UK than in the US. Then again, I didn't apply to any US schools, I can't say that for certain.

Old 03-01-2003, 05:43 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:11 AM
Yep, Id be thinking of the diplomatic academy here for post graduate, but I doubt I can afford that.

Old 03-01-2003, 05:46 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 02:11 AM
all of those schools are very prestigious. however i have a close friend who is Chem Engineer graduate from MIT and was working for Enron, and since that whole disaster of being laid off last Winter he has not been able to find a job. he decided recently to enlist in the US Marines.

i know many of my brother's friends who are going back to grad school for Law Degree's and Masters. the job market is tough here right now, but again it is all relative to what you are interested in pursuing. a masters degree may help but it does not guarantee you a job. i have a friend who is from another country, carrying 2 college degrees from the states and speaks spanish and cannot find a job at all. she has been looking for a job since last Summer. work experience is really important in addition to a degree and in some cases is more important than having the degree itself.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:29 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

I'm actually pretty clueless on this situation. Probably the same thing is true about colleges all over the globe, and that's that some of them are better than others. I'll know more in two years when my Italian niece starts to university, presumably in Rome (but she's talking about going to school in NYC--interesting). She currently has dual citizenship but is going to have to pick between Italian and U.S. citizenship when she turns 18.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:54 PM   #20
She's the One

Local Time: 11:11 PM
I think the whole thing about a $100,000 education being better that a $10,000 education is basically bullshit. And I mean that in a friendly way. Seriously. Sure, if you want to work for JPL, you might need a prestige degree from a fancy school, but for the most part if you've gotten a decent education, and you're not an idiot, and there is a job even available, it doesn't matter where you went to school.

I think this friend of yours may have a had some limited experience with what he's talking about. I think if you know your subject, want the job, present yourself well, and take a shower, you should be alright.

Speaking excellent English won't hurt if you're coming to the States to work. The driving thing depends on where you are here. I suppose in NYC, you may not need to know how to drive, but in most of the rest of the country, it can be very limiting if you can't drive. I don't think anybody gives a damn how long you've been driving, unless you're applying for a truck driving job. Then the fancy education is pointless.

All this rambling aside, I'd give my left kidney to get a degree in Asian Studies from Berkeley.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:57 PM   #21
She's the One

Re: U.S. colleges + ...

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

Now, I recently heard from a friend that there are big differences. I heard that there are a handful of very good colleges, like Berkeley etc., but that most of the colleges arent that great.
I'm coming off all bitchy again, but this buddy of yours is a snob, and it's kind of pissing me off.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:20 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

martha thanks for the info

mvd75, verte76, thank you too.

I want some opinions of melon, STING2 and nbcrusader - and I want your opinion too, estimated reader.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:22 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
I think the whole thing about a $100,000 education being better that a $10,000 education is basically bullshit. And I mean that in a friendly way.

I know people who went to state schools who are much smarter and better educated than people who went to ivy league schools. Someone who went to Harvard Law once told me that they purposefully made the classes easier than most schools so that the grades would look better.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:35 PM   #24
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
I think the whole thing about a $100,000 education being better that a $10,000 education is basically bullshit.
most places only care if you have a degree. hell, due to the sue happy people in america nowadays and people suing for any reason, most places don't even ask for specifics when it comes to your education. they just ask yes or no questions for if you've graduated high school, college, etc. only if they're really interested they may ask for specifics just so they can verify. any info they DO ask of you now they have to tell you why they need it and what they plan to do with it. i applied for some stupid job (i mean, nothing prestigious at all, i think it was for a hotel) and they even told me what questions they would be asking my previous employers!

i mean yeah, graduating from harvard does sound better than graduating from some local state school, but for the most part, unless you're applying for some ultra elite job, they don't care where you got your degree, just as long as you have one and it's from an accredited university (and not one of those you get spam from where you can magically get a bachelor's degree in five minutes).
Old 03-02-2003, 12:38 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I agree with Martha except for the part about the Asian Studies degree from Berkeley. And I think your friend's observation is flawed to the point of being fraud.

Maybe not that bad, but it rhymed and I had to post it.

~U2Alabama
Old 03-02-2003, 01:14 AM   #26
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
Maybe not that bad, but it rhymed and I had to post it.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:52 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Thanks a lot for your opinions, Khananda Rhodes and U2Bama. (Khananda: I want the "ultra elite" job - what didya think ?).
Old 03-02-2003, 11:14 AM   #28
She's the One

Khan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-02-2003, 11:17 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

omg...i needed a laugh
Old 03-02-2003, 12:07 PM   #30
Kid A

all i know, is that Seton Hall and Princeton are evil, St. John's too, oh, and Syracuse, UConn, Villanova, Notre Dame, Boston College and Penn State, among others...