U.S., Britain Want Power To Spend Iraq Oil Money

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2luv

The Fly
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&ncid=578&e=5&u=/nm/20030508/ts_nm/iraq_usa_un_dc

U.S., Britain Want Power To Spend Iraq Oil Money
By Evelyn Leopold
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The United States intends to introduce a resolution on Friday that would end 12 years of U.N. sanctions against Iraq and give Washington and its allies the power to spend Baghdad's future oil revenues for aid and reconstruction.
The eight-page draft resolution would remove all sanctions imposed on Iraq in 1990 except for an arms embargo. But the document omits any reference to U.N. inspectors returning to Iraq to check on weapons of mass destruction, as 12 years of Security Council resolutions demanded.
Russia, France and others are expected to raise questions about the dearth of international arms inspections, nominal role given to U.N. officials and U.S.-British control of the oil revenues, now supervised by the United Nations.
'The big debate will be the balance between the coalition forces and the United Nations, with several members wanting a stronger, more defined U.N. role,' one council diplomat said. 'And the debate will certainly be about the oil money.'
The draft, obtained by Reuters and circulated to key Security Council members, would phase out the current U.N. oil-for-food humanitarian program over four months.
It would allow Iraq to sell oil again without U.N. controls. The monies would be deposited in an 'Iraqi Assistance Fund' for humanitarian purposes and reconstruction.
This new institution would have an advisory board that would include officials from the United Nations, International Monetary Fund, World Bank and others.
But decisions on where to spend the money would be made by the United States and Britain and their allies in the war that deposed President Saddam Hussein, in consultation with an Iraqi interim authority and until a new Iraqi government is formed.
The draft does not call for the return of U.N. arms inspectors to verify that Iraq no longer has weapons of mass destruction, as specified in some 16 earlier U.N. resolutions.
NO ROLE FOR U.N. INSPECTORS
U.S. Ambassador John Negroponte, who was briefing council members, said the Bush administration did not see 'any role for the U.N. (inspectors) for the foreseeable future.'
'The coalition has taken over the process of inspecting in Iraq for weapons of mass destruction,' he told reporters.
The document asks Secretary-General Kofi Annan to appoint a special coordinator to supervise U.N. humanitarian assistance and 'reconstruction activities in Iraq.'
The coordinator would play a nominal role in establishing governing institutions, promoting human rights, legal and judicial reforms, and helping build an Iraqi police force.
The resolution would phase out the U.N. oil-for-food humanitarian program over four months but honor 'priority civilian goods' in contracts already approved. It was unclear whether all approved contracts for supplies, including $1.6 billion in Russian contracts, would be fulfilled.
Without adoption of the resolution, no Iraqi or U.S. entity in Baghdad has the legal authority to export oil. The United States wants the measure passed by June 3, when the oil-for-food program needs to be renewed.
The program was designed to ease the impact of sanctions imposed when Saddam's troops invaded Kuwait in August 1990. It allowed Iraq to sell oil to purchase food, medicine and other civilian goods under U.N. supervision. Oil revenues are deposited into a U.N. escrow account to pay suppliers.
The oil-for-food fund now has some $13 billion in outstanding contracts for food, medicine and other civilian goods ordered by the ousted Iraqi government.

Some countries have a problem with that argument:

-There's no freely elected government in Iraq yet
-We want to know about the WMDs first (to ensure that the money can't be used to continue developing
-since the current Iraqi regime is completely under control of the "coalition of the willing" they could abuse their power to make long-term drilling contracts with companies just from their countries.

Situation would be much easier (and some countries whould be less affraid) if Iraq was under UN control .

Anyway, i guess Iraq needs the money now so we should give them the chance to spend some of their wealth.

Klaus

Klaus, the reason this is making me nervous isn't political. It's when I read stuff like the potential cholera epidemic, and it just seems to me that the sooner they have the money for important needs like clean water and health care, the better. I'd like to see the U.N. play a role in rebuilding Iraq, but right now I'm pretty nervous about a potential humanitarian problem developing due to lack of basic services. I'd sure hate to see a horrible illness hit alot of Iraqi families. Stop the cholera problem as soon as possible for the sake of the people.

verte76: i agree to you at most of your points, but i don't see any reason why we can wait to rebuild the water-system or wait to spend money for the medicare stuff.

I don't think we can or we have to wait for the oil money to start with it. Its
a) not that expensive (compared to the rest of the war costs)
b) too urgent (as you mentioned cholera epidemic)
c) i disslike the idea to raise presure at Russia and France at the cost of these civilists.

Water, Electricity and Medical Equipment are absolute necessities - even if Iraq didn't have oil. So we should use donated money from Governments (i.e. the mentioned EU money).

We shouldn't waste more time just because some political powers want to (ab)use the fact because of personal greed.

I even wouldn't care if the Bin Laden cooperation would get the contract - it's important that it's done, not by whom

Klaus

I hate the way companies are getting the "spoils" from the Iraq war. They are all U.S. companies! This is not cool. The "spoils" should be going to the Iraqis, not corporate big shots anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom