U.S.A. -- good or evil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Generally, I think the US is a good country, though with many faults. That being said, I think one of its faults is the two-party system. Third parties have rarely suceeded here, and when they do, they are absorbed by one of the larger parties. I would say that peopel on both sides of the political spectrum are dissatisfied with having only two people to choose from. While I do not think having muneorus parties would be helpful either, having a third "Centrist"party (name just thrown in for kicks) that was equally as powerful as the GOP and the Dems would make US citizens feel happier politically.

I think we Canadians have an interesting perspective on our southern friends. In an overall personal sense, they are good people. I find the majority of Americans to be kind, warm, vibrant people.

From a political-governmental standpoint, my views of them are more mixed. They are somewhere on the border between good and evil in that area.

I like the fact that they haven't succumbed to the political correctness that Canada and a lot of Europe has fallen victim to. For example, in many of this country's (Canada's) public schools and workplaces, it's considered offensive to wish someone Merry Christmas or Happy Easter . You can mention every other non-Christian holiday but God forbid you offend someone by mentioning a Christian holiday. The US largely hasn't fallen victim to that politically correct nonsense. The darker flipside of that of course is that religion and politics are too interconnected in the US, and I say that even as a practising Catholic. I believe that a longtime ago during the Enlightenment, the West began to realize that mixing government and religion was largely undesirable and led to horrendous injustices. Religion should not be a politician's guiding light when faced with an issue like gay marriage. Moreover I find it astounding that the teaching of Evolution is still banned in parts of the states.

Their foreign policy has positive elements and negative ones as well. They certainly are the main force for democracy in the world. Invading Afganistan and their role in Yugosavia was certainly justified, Iraq was not. Yet I've also never forgiven Bush Sr. for failing to do more to make China pay for what they did to those kids in Tianneman Square. The Chinese market was simply considered too lucractive to put any meaningful pressure on the Chinese that could jeopardize trade. The US has often proven that when push comes to shove, economic interests (i.e. first Iraq war) take precedence over political democracy. They've often proven they'll deal with dictators as long as they aren't deemed to be too left wing and are open for business, despite their leaders "democracy" rhetoric.

So I'll repeat... they are overall a good people...but their government is somewhere on the border between good and evil.

Cheers

My synopsis on the USA
1. The Good- We are mainly free to say what we want, worship who we like and go to sleep at night generally feeling safe (most of the time) I think the government, reguardless of party, wants what is best for the people. Also that the people know they have the ultimate power to control the govt.

2. The Bad- With all i said in 1. it might sound hyprocritcal to say that government is too big. I think it is way too big to run smoothly. Also we aren't reperesented by people who are really in touch the people. There aren't enough "regular" people. I think the US has also overstepped its bounds in forgien policy.

Overall I think that the USA is basically good place. As with every organization as it gets older and bigger corruption is inevitable.

good- democratic(ish) and some good rights for citizens
bad- gun policy, invading iraq.

The impression i get of alot of amercia is that it's full of fat people stuffing their face with cheeseburgers! it also really annoys me that christianity is big in amercia. Not that i particularly dislike christianity but when it is used as a tool to jusitfy bigotry (towards gay people for example!) it really annoys me. Surely the bigger sin is that people die of starvation in the third wordl while in america there is far too much food for most people (hence the cheeseburger comment!). Looks like Britain is going the same way though. Apart from christianity of course. Most churches have been turned into pubs and nightclubs now where i live (excellent!)

Re: Re: U.S.A. -- good or evil?

deep said:

if you are going to compare to countries

USA on the whole
rates very high as good.

reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks

at this time

the tipping point
indicates that the Bush Administration policies will lead many to conclude, with justification, - evil.

nickypiemcg said:
good- democratic(ish) and some good rights for citizens
bad- gun policy, invading iraq.

The impression i get of alot of amercia is that it's full of fat people stuffing their face with cheeseburgers! it also really annoys me that christianity is big in amercia. Not that i particularly dislike christianity but when it is used as a tool to jusitfy bigotry (towards gay people for example!) it really annoys me. Surely the bigger sin is that people die of starvation in the third wordl while in america there is far too much food for most people (hence the cheeseburger comment!). Looks like Britain is going the same way though. Apart from christianity of course. Most churches have been turned into pubs and nightclubs now where i live (excellent!)

Your stereotypical and insensitive comments reveal that you know very little about the United States. We have our share of problems just like everyone else. Europe has its fair share of junk food but in our case many people are not exercising the way the way that they should because of our over-reliance on cars instead of walking or cycling.

In terms of bigotry, reducing Christianity to gay bashing is quite insulting. As Christians we need to be tolerant of people with views and lifestyle choices that differ from our own. However, Christians do not have to embrace a practice that many feel is wrong. Its a big world and there is certainly enough room for everyone to live in it.

I could reduce every country down to a negative stereotype (including Scotland) but what would that accomplish (except to anger a lot of people)? I think its best to focus on those things that bring us together rather than dwell on issues that divide us. We could learn a lot from each other.

well, Americans are fat in the way that all Scots are drunks!

i have never seen more vomit on the streets of a city at 2am on a saturday night than the 6 weeks i spent bumming around Edinburgh.

;)

Irvine511 said:
^ agreed, but we are kind of fat ...

Speak for yourself!!!!!

...oh wait, I am kinda fat. But it's loveable fat.
You know not like grotesque cheesburger fat.
more like wheat and barley inspired conflicted artistic fat.

Irvine511 said:
well, Americans are fat in the way that all Scots are drunks!

i have never seen more vomit on the streets of a city at 2am on a saturday night than the 6 weeks i spent bumming around Edinburgh.

;)

lol, that is very true(though you should wait till 3am to see even more!). We do have a massive alcohol problem here. When I was in America and Canada I did notice that taking drugs was alot more socially acceptable than here. At least people talked about it alot more there than here. But I suppose I couldn't care less if people take drugs (as long as it's not heroin because then they break into my house and steal my dvds:mad:)

One of my favorite quotes about America and one that has to do with this thread is:

"There are two Americas. One is the America of Lincoln and Adlai Stevenson; the other is the America of Teddy Roosevelt and the modern superpatriots. One is generous and humane, the other narrowly egotistical; one is self-critical, the other self-righteous; one is sensible, the other romantic; one is good-humored, the other solemn; one is inquiring, the other pontificating; one is moderate, the other filled with passionate intensity; one is judicious and the other arrogant in the use of great power." - J. William Fulbright, "The Arrogance of Power," 1966

Back
Top Bottom