U.S.A. -- good or evil? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bammo2
the guy that invented the internet was british
It was invented in the late 1960s so the US Department of Defense researchers could share information with each other. The Web - the part of the internet that provides users with graphics/audio/video was invented by an Englishman. Tim Berners-Lee is his name-o.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #77
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I stand corrected--he is, in fact, British.

Join Amnesty.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Bottled water still amazes me. I only buy bottled water if I'm out and forgot to bring my own water and can't find a fountain. I always have and still get my water directly from the tap. I have a couple of large bottles I fill in my kitchen sink and put in the fridge -- that way it's always cold. I love cold water. And it's cheap to buy -- something like $28 USD per 1500 gallons. I have a cistern and roof gutters which feed into it, so I haven't had to buy water in a few years.

But whoever started to market bottled water is a frickin' genius! A lot of it is simply tap water put into bottles. The same damned stuff that comes out of most people's tap! Boggles the mind.
I must admit that I only drink bottled water, but if you had the kind of tap water that I have where you lived you probably would too. It tastes horrible and makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:14 PM   #79
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:58 PM
thank you irvine
Old 05-09-2005, 05:35 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

how?

i intended for it to be kind of contraversial, to heat things up, but i in no way intended for it to be insulting -- in fact, if i was hoping anyone would be insulted, it would have been my fellow americans. i mean no one any disrespect..
I tried to email you but you have turned that option off. Im not offended by anything you have said in this thread (or any other thread for that matter)

I wanted to email you as I think others have heard my story before.

I find it offensive that people in the USA subconsiously do not acknowledge that the USA is not all of America. I think most people know I used to work for Oxfam, and my history with Amnesty blah blah. etc. If you want to hear it my email is belilindt (at) gmail (dot) com but Im sure you can get the gist regardless.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:22 PM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli

I tried to email you but you have turned that option off. Im not offended by anything you have said in this thread (or any other thread for that matter)

I wanted to email you as I think others have heard my story before.

I find it offensive that people in the USA subconsiously do not acknowledge that the USA is not all of America. I think most people know I used to work for Oxfam, and my history with Amnesty blah blah. etc. If you want to hear it my email is belilindt (at) gmail (dot) com but Im sure you can get the gist regardless.

oh, i agree. i try to always use "the US" or "USA" as opposed to America.

i do use Americans, which might be lazy, but i'm not sure what else i'd use ... there's no such thing as a United Statesian, and "US citizens" is a bit cumbersome for casual conversation. but point taken, absolutely.

i'm curious. will send you an email at some point.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:18 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:58 PM
I think the "fact" that the Americans DID NOT land on the moon is pretty realistic.

Remember it was at the height of the Cold War, and both sides were determined to gain an advantage in the space race.

And it doens't surprise me that the Yanks would go to such extreme lengths, particularly in the 60's.

It is possibly the biggest sham in the history of mankind and there is a good TV doco out there that explains exactly why.

It also seems rather strange that, despite the amazing rate of technological advancements, no one has attempted to "go back" to the moon. Why not?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:33 AM   #83
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
I think the "fact" that the Americans DID NOT land on the moon is pretty realistic.

Remember it was at the height of the Cold War, and both sides were determined to gain an advantage in the space race.

And it doens't surprise me that the Yanks would go to such extreme lengths, particularly in the 60's.

It is possibly the biggest sham in the history of mankind and there is a good TV doco out there that explains exactly why.

It also seems rather strange that, despite the amazing rate of technological advancements, no one has attempted to "go back" to the moon. Why not?

it's a *garbage* conspiracy theory.

if the government can't cover up a break-in at a posh washington dc hotel (watergate) do you really think they'd be able to keep such a massive conspiracy under wraps for 35 years?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:34 AM   #84
Babyface

Local Time: 04:58 PM
because its too damned expensive, and there's nothing to justify such an expense; especially not another nationalistic few steps on the moon, of all places....
Old 05-10-2005, 06:37 AM   #85
Babyface

Local Time: 04:58 PM
Quote:

You've got to be kidding...
Old 05-10-2005, 06:38 AM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:58 AM
I think a lot of so called good inventions where not possible without the Sovjets, it was all competiton. And don`t forget the Nazi scientist that came to the USA ( operation paperclip ).
Old 05-10-2005, 06:40 AM   #87
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Someone, I forget who, said that most conspiracy theories are bullshit because conspiracies require large groups of people to be both smart and silent for long periods of time.

I think that's quite true.

I haven't weighed on in this subject, really, but I do want to point out that while my faith in the American government has been eroding steadily for the past few years, my faith in Americans has actually increased. I feel very lucky to have known a large number of people who are just decent, well-meaning individuals trying to make good lives for themselves and their families--and this goes for persons of all political, religious, ethnic, and sexual stripes.

Unfortunately our major failing as Americans, I suspect, is apathy in our own political process, which means we continually elect jackasses who are not close to what I think is the true heart of the U.S. character (and, again, I'll point the finger at John Kerry here as well as George Bush--I'm quite peeved with him at the moment over the Massachusetts gay marriage thing) because they look and/or sound good on TV. I wish dearly that we could change that. I believe we deserve better from our elected officials, but until we do that electoral legwork, we'll get what we pay for, so to speak.

I really do like Americans. For all the crap we take, I think most Americans' hearts are in the right places.

Join Amnesty.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:40 AM   #88
Blue Crack Supplier

^ preach on, sister

now, let's get out there and get us the government we deserve.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:58 AM
I agree with you, pax, I think most Americans are good people. The problem is with political apathy, which, yes, does allow jackasses to get elected President, and I also agree with you about John Kerry and the Massachusetts gay thing. We just don't get the best candidates in presidential campaigns from either party. If we'd gotten the best Republican from 2000 John McCain would be President.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #90
The Fly

Local Time: 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

Yes, actually there were two Somozas, a couple of generations. The first one was installed in Nicaragua in the '30's--he'd been a used car salesman in Philadelphia, and they installed him as dictator in Nicaragua. President Roosevelt said "Somoza may be a son of a bh, but he's our S.O.B." The second one pissed off the business community in Nicaragua with his greed, so they didn't save him from the revolutionaries. Eventually the place got straightened up with democratic elections.
THREE Somozas. After Anastasio Somoza Garcia was assassinated in 1956, the eldest son Luis Somoza took over. He was a bit more moderate than his father in terms of political freedoms but he too had a penchant for graft and corruption. Luis Somoza died of a heart attack in 1969 and was followed by his younger brother Anastasio Somoza Debayle who combined the power of president and Commander of the National Guard for complete control of Nicaragua. Under his watch, the Somoza family gobbled up almost every industry in the country. Things got so bad for the average citizen that even the conservative factions (La Prenza, the Catholic Church etc.) threw in their lot with the Sandinistas just to get rid of Somoza.

Back on topic, the United States has been an enormous force for good in this world. But at times our leaders (both Republican and Democrat) have supported some of the most ruthless regimes in the world (Somoza, Mobotu, Pinochet, etc.) in the name of anti-communism. Now that the Cold War is over, the U.S. no longer has an excuse to make such compromises.