U. of Florida Student Arrested & Tasered at John Kerry Forum for Asking Questions. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:46 PM
U. of Florida Student Arrested & Tasered at John Kerry Forum for Asking Questions.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:46 PM
I just saw footage of this on CNN. I'm really not sure if tasering was necessary, unless it was absolutely impossible for the police to drag him out.

Kerry was willing to answer his question before the whole fiasco started, i don't know why they didn't let him

Old 09-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:46 PM
I saw this on the Today show, they had some better footage, but it's still unapparent as to why he was actually tasered. They did do a little back story on the guy, apparently he's known for being "anti-establishment" and has caused some controversies on campus before, but nothing violent. So I wonder if the security was already on the look for him, or if he had already done something earlier to piss them off, not that that justifies anything. I remember a thread a while back about a tasering on campus, can't remember what the issue that started it, but it was very similar to this. It was on campus, several different videos circulating on the internet, and the procedure was similar(if I remember right) they hauled him almost to the exit and then tasered him right there as they had him held down. I wonder if this somehow is procedure, if so we need to re-examine and do a re-write.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

i hate these anti-estabilshment, everything's a conspiracy schmuckos as much as the next guy... but this guy did absolutely nothing wrong. he asked a few questions in an open forum and was dragged off and then tasered. this video shook me a bit to watch it, i have to be perfectly honest... a lot more than, say, a rambling emmy speech getting bleeped out.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Completely unnecessary, whether this dude was anti-establishment or not.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:46 PM
Asshats. You'd think Kerry saying he'd answer the guy's questions would have been enough for them to ease up. Has Kerry made any statement?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
Asshats.
love it!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

There were like five or six officers there, and one of them was quite big. I don't see why they just didn't carry him out instead of tasering the guy. Sure, he was an asshole, but they could've tried getting him out of there better.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:46 PM
I wouldn't call the guy an asshole. His questions were legitimate and he did absolutely nothing wrong. Who in the same situation wouldn't have started shouting and asking why he was being dragged off. This is shocking. And yet...not so shocking in this political climate. Depressing more than shocking, actually.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Hey, welcome to America, where if we don't like what you're saying we'll taser your ass instead of removing you from the room. Can you say overreaction?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

shocking and not shocking, indeed.

it's nice that kerry just sat there and continued talking as this was going on... not that i expected him to go down and physicaly get involved but a "hey, hands off that guy" woulda been nice. just goes to prove that they're all part of the same hypocrisy.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
shocking and not shocking, indeed.

it's nice that kerry just sat there and continued talking as this was going on... not that i expected him to go down and physicaly get involved but a "hey, hands off that guy" woulda been nice. just goes to prove that they're all part of the same hypocrisy.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Take Bono for example (this is a U2 site after all), if you've heard/seen any of the older bootlegs he's forever ripping some security guys for being overly physical with a rowdy fan. I'd have liked to see Kerry do/say something to put a stop to it.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:46 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
The handling of this student’s removal from the podium was absolutely appalling. I did not see him making any threatening remarks to warrant that treatment.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:46 PM
Kerry was in a damned if you do and damned in you don't position...how was he to know how far the officers would take it? If he were to say lay off he could be labeled as anti-police, and as we see here not saying anything he's seen as defending their actions. He shouldn't be a distraction from the issue at hand, the police actions against this seemingly nonviolent student.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:46 PM
On Tuesday, Kerry released a statement saying he was not aware of the severity of the police response.

"In 37 years of public appearances, through wars, protests and highly emotional events, I have never had a dialogue end this way. I believe I could have handled the situation without interruption, but again I do not know what warnings or other exchanges transpired between the young man and the police prior to his barging to the front of the line and their intervention. I asked the police to allow me to answer the question and was in the process of answering him when he was taken into custody. I was not aware that a Taser was used until after I left the building. I hope that neither the student nor any of the police were injured. I regret enormously that a good healthy discussion was interrupted," Kerry said.