U.N. says AIDS could kill 80 million Africans by 2025

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sue4u2

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
This was on USA's website tonight. It's truly a devasating thought.

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia (AP) — More than 80 million Africans may die from AIDS by 2025, the United Nations said in a report to be released Friday, and infections could soar to 90 million — or more than 10% of the continent's population — if more isn't done soon to fight the disease.
UNAIDS has reported that life expectancy in nine countries has dropped to below 40 because of the disease. There are already 11 million orphans because of AIDS, while 6,500 people are dying each day. In 2004, 3.1 million Africans were newly infected, the agency said.

"If by 2025, millions of African people are still becoming infected with HIV each year, these scenarios suggest that it will not be because there was no choice," the report said. "It will be because, collectively, there was insufficient political will to change behavior at all levels, from the institution, to the community, to the individual, and halt the forces driving the AIDS epidemic in Africa."

Hundreds of experts and people living with the virus helped draw up the report.

Here's the entire article:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-03-03-africa-aids_x.htm?csp=24&RM

Edited:
I have a comment but I also have an infant crying that I just can't ignore. Even if the mother is with her.
Later!!

Last edited:
Thanks, sue4u2, for posting that article.

The situation in Africa is so enormous that it can appear to be overwhelming at times.

But we can't let that stop us from speaking up for Africa's right to have a better future. :up:

The extreme pain and suffering of MILLIONS of innocent African people including tens of thousands of AFRICAN CHILDREN from completely preventable causes like AIDS, TB, malaria, hunger, unclean water, etc. EVERY YEAR should be UNACCEPTABLE to all of us.

And it should motivate each of us to DO ALL THAT WE CAN to improve the chances of a brighter Future for Africa's People. :yes:

It's the only humane thing to do.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:wink:

This is horrible beyond belief. This is going to be a heck of alot worse than the Black Death, as horrific as that was. This scares the hell out of me.

Where you live should not decide......

but unfortunately for those at the bottom of the financial totem pole, it does.

If this doesn't anger or move people to say "Not in my world." Then I don't know what will.

But I don't want everyone to feel helpless--I encourage everyone to volunteer ONE hour a day or ONE day a month or ONE month of the year to educate people about poverty and the AIDS crisis because I think that if more people knew what was going on, more would be done for the less fortunate.

The One Campaign

I've seen countless articles over the last few day's speculating/calling for Bono to take over at the World Bank.
Now as much as I know he love's his current day job, there is a cry out there for something, someone in a position of power to halt this tragedy.
I know - he knows he can reach a multitude of people this year from the stage and in all the forthcoming interviews and that's worldwide. He's doing an incredible job, so we have to continue as well by blitzing our various governments to Act!! and now!!

I know all here have done this and will keep it up, so I guess we just have to continue to hit them every thing we've got.

I just know I will never be able to explain this to my grand daughters and now my great niece (8 weeks old) how we could let this happen.

Simply because, I can hardly believe it myself :(

For those of you who want to see the current breakdown of the President's proposed budget for fighting AIDS and extreme poverty in the world , PLEASE check out the summary report by DATA.

It contains some excellent info.

http://www.data.org/archives/000709.php

Bono's Reaction to Pres. Bush 2006 Budget Request

REACTION FROM BONO, U2 LEAD SINGER AND FOUNDER OF DATA:

"Good intention at the highest levels of the Bush Administration was not enough to deliver on the Millennium Challenge promise to the world’s poorest people in this year’s budget request. To make 2005 the year of a global breakthrough in the fight against poverty, we need the tens of millions of Americans who care -- who go to every church and rock concert -- to raise the volume before President Bush leaves for the G8's Africa summit in July."

REACTION BY JAMIE DRUMMOND, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF DATA:

“Not only has President Bush broken his word on funding for the Millennium Challenge, he has not put in the effort required to turn this excellent idea into a lifesaving reality for the world’s poorest people in the three years since it was announced. The pressure is now on for the President to demonstrate a serious commitment to helping the world’s poorest at the international Africa summit in July.”

http://www.data.org/archives/PresReq06.pdf

Excellent info and an excellent reason for us ALL to GET INVOLVED in The ONE Campaign. :up:

you people don't get it.

north american governments and churches are far too busy spending time worrying about homosexual marriages than caring about some blacks on a continent that's never been of any use to anyone anyway.

sounds real bad doesn't it? but if you really think about it...isn't that perhaps the real mindset?

tragic beyond words.

Last edited:
I hope you meant that as sarcasm, Zoomerang96.

Unfortunately, what you said is true because all they're concerned about is which issues can they use to stir up the emotional juices of people to get them (the public) to follow them.

Still, voices of reason and humanity must continue to speak up on behalf of the world's poorest people. :up:

On the contrary, Zoomerang96, alot of people are "getting it".
Maybe not as fast as it should be, but there is a much better awareness of the magnitude of the issue. If not with the general population, which will come, then with the decision makers:

Snow: Bono may make short list for World Bank

WASHINGTON (AP) — Treasury Secretary John Snow on Sunday would not rule out the idea of Irish singer Bono, an activist on debt relief and AIDS, making the short list of potential candidates to lead the World Bank even though an American is expected to get the job.
Rest of article here:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-03-06-bono-worldbank_x.htm?csp=24&RM

I'm not letting it go, neither are alot of people, just because "THEY" don't get it! You have to change some people's perspective, some way or another.. It's been done before.
I refuse to except the fact, as Bono has said, that if this was happening to any other country in the developed world, well it wouldn't be happening. (not a quote) It's because of the color of their skin. Well it is happening, and everyone has to do something!

With that said I just don't don't see a former head of HP, who's a major contributor to the current administration, as someone who would really work to bring about change. We don't need another spin/marketing expert to make decisions on such a massive, major and important issue.

80 million people? At the rate it's going, I imagine it'd be much greater. Nevertheless, it's astonishing to see the wealthiest among us, do so little. However, the natives of Africa must help themselves by practicing the unthinkable "safe sex", or else all the aid in the world won't make a damn difference.

I'll pray and practice safe sex, and hopefully set a good example for all those around me. As for Africa, it will take a village.

Zoomerang96 said:
north american governments and churches are far too busy spending time worrying about homosexual marriages than caring about some blacks on a continent that's never been of any use to anyone anyway.
pretty much.

This is just so terrible....I don't know what's worse, the fact that so many people are in danger of dying to this devastating disease, OR that Bush and countless other politicians are practically LOOKING for reasons not to send the money and drugs needed there and ENCOURAGING other governments not to as well. The first is saddning. The second is appalling.

I feel helpless.

Don't feel helpless, namkcuR, that emotion won't help anyone.

Feel angry, feel disgusted, and then feel EMPOWERED by joining the Global AIDS movement.

If you do that, you won't have time to feel helpless. :wink:

http://www.one.org

Jamila said:
Don't feel helpless, namkcuR, that emotion won't help anyone.

Feel angry, feel disgusted, and then feel EMPOWERED by joining the Global AIDS movement.

If you do that, you won't have time to feel helpless. :wink:

http://www.one.org

The signup there isn't available at the moment.

I agree with Zoomerang. Many people care about this epidemic facing millions of people in our world. Unfortunately, the "powers that be" consider the millions of Africans to be expendable and not worth the economic expenditure to save their lives. After the tsunami hit Southeast Asia, some expected to see an effect on economic projections for these countries. I watched one analyst describe a minute drop in economic growth attributing it to the fact that the people who died were not significant contributers to the countries' economies. Saving their lives because it is the right thing to do does not register with governments.

It is digusting and like a previous post stated our generation will have a difficult time answering the questions about why we let this happen. History continues to repeat itself.

On a brighter note, public sentiment can change opinion. In Canada, their was great public pressure put upon the government to increase international aid and they responded by " Boosting international assistance by $3.4 billion over the next five years with the goal of doubling assistance from 2001–02 levels by 2010–11" They still have a long way to go to reach the 0.7% committment but it is a start. So there is hope.

Back
Top Bottom