U.N. says AIDS could kill 80 million Africans by 2025 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2005, 03:26 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:05 AM
I hope you meant that as sarcasm, Zoomerang96.

Unfortunately, what you said is true because all they're concerned about is which issues can they use to stir up the emotional juices of people to get them (the public) to follow them.

Still, voices of reason and humanity must continue to speak up on behalf of the world's poorest people.

Old 03-06-2005, 03:43 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:05 AM
On the contrary, Zoomerang96, alot of people are "getting it".
Maybe not as fast as it should be, but there is a much better awareness of the magnitude of the issue. If not with the general population, which will come, then with the decision makers:

Snow: Bono may make short list for World Bank

WASHINGTON (AP) — Treasury Secretary John Snow on Sunday would not rule out the idea of Irish singer Bono, an activist on debt relief and AIDS, making the short list of potential candidates to lead the World Bank even though an American is expected to get the job.
Rest of article here:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2....htm?csp=24&RM

I'm not letting it go, neither are alot of people, just because "THEY" don't get it! You have to change some people's perspective, some way or another.. It's been done before.
I refuse to except the fact, as Bono has said, that if this was happening to any other country in the developed world, well it wouldn't be happening. (not a quote) It's because of the color of their skin. Well it is happening, and everyone has to do something!

With that said I just don't don't see a former head of HP, who's a major contributor to the current administration, as someone who would really work to bring about change. We don't need another spin/marketing expert to make decisions on such a massive, major and important issue.

Old 03-06-2005, 03:58 PM   #18
Refugee

80 million people? At the rate it's going, I imagine it'd be much greater. Nevertheless, it's astonishing to see the wealthiest among us, do so little. However, the natives of Africa must help themselves by practicing the unthinkable "safe sex", or else all the aid in the world won't make a damn difference.

I'll pray and practice safe sex, and hopefully set a good example for all those around me. As for Africa, it will take a village.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:04 AM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
north american governments and churches are far too busy spending time worrying about homosexual marriages than caring about some blacks on a continent that's never been of any use to anyone anyway.
pretty much.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:20 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

This is just so terrible....I don't know what's worse, the fact that so many people are in danger of dying to this devastating disease, OR that Bush and countless other politicians are practically LOOKING for reasons not to send the money and drugs needed there and ENCOURAGING other governments not to as well. The first is saddning. The second is appalling.

I feel helpless.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:05 AM
Don't feel helpless, namkcuR, that emotion won't help anyone.

Feel angry, feel disgusted, and then feel EMPOWERED by joining the Global AIDS movement.

If you do that, you won't have time to feel helpless.

http://www.one.org
Old 03-07-2005, 10:00 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
Don't feel helpless, namkcuR, that emotion won't help anyone.

Feel angry, feel disgusted, and then feel EMPOWERED by joining the Global AIDS movement.

If you do that, you won't have time to feel helpless.

http://www.one.org
The signup there isn't available at the moment.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:16 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:35 AM
I agree with Zoomerang. Many people care about this epidemic facing millions of people in our world. Unfortunately, the "powers that be" consider the millions of Africans to be expendable and not worth the economic expenditure to save their lives. After the tsunami hit Southeast Asia, some expected to see an effect on economic projections for these countries. I watched one analyst describe a minute drop in economic growth attributing it to the fact that the people who died were not significant contributers to the countries' economies. Saving their lives because it is the right thing to do does not register with governments.

It is digusting and like a previous post stated our generation will have a difficult time answering the questions about why we let this happen. History continues to repeat itself.

On a brighter note, public sentiment can change opinion. In Canada, their was great public pressure put upon the government to increase international aid and they responded by " Boosting international assistance by $3.4 billion over the next five years with the goal of doubling assistance from 2001–02 levels by 2010–11" They still have a long way to go to reach the 0.7% committment but it is a start. So there is hope.