Turner Broadcasting Marketing Campaign Causes Terrorism Fear And Chaos In Boston - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 AM

Old 02-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:46 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The two suspects were advised by their lawyer not to discuss the case, so they found something else to talk to reporters about

Click "suspects avoid answering questions link

The thing is, I think the terrorists have indeed won. If various LED light boards hung around an urban area can really cause a bomb scare, then tens of yellow umbrellas erected next to a highway might be cause for seri0s panic.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:25 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm sorry, I can't even get over how ridiculous this is. The city officials are calling them 'hoax' devices. More proof that bureaucrats are absolutely retarded. Even the news media coverage is treating this like a hoax taken too seriously, when in fact it's just a bunch of goddam LED lights like the blue ones on the front of your computer.

It truly is a sad state of affairs we live in. If it's any condolence, the people of Seattle are apparently not as square and didn't call in possible bomb reports when faced with the same advertising light boards.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

the day we could stop bringing things like toothpaste and bottled water onto in airplane was the day the terrorists won. and its just gonna keep getting worse.

i find it ironic that during that press conference the media was accusing them of creating chaos and panic in Boston, when in reality, it is the media themselves with their fear mongering propaganda that causes the chaos and panic
Old 02-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
the day we could stop bringing things like toothpaste and bottled water onto in airplane was the day the terrorists won. and its just gonna keep getting worse.

i find it ironic that during that press conference the media was accusing them of creating chaos and panic in Boston, when in reality, it is the media themselves with their fear mongering propaganda that causes the chaos and panic
Come on Chaz, doesn't this look like a bomb to you?

GG Boston police thanks for playing

Old 02-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
It truly is a sad state of affairs we live in. If it's any condolence, the people of Seattle are apparently not as square and didn't call in possible bomb reports
Darn tootin'! Seattle is cool as a cucumber. Unless faced with rioters, earthquakes and possible terrorists trying to enter the country to possibly blow up the Space Needle at the millennium. Which I guess didn't pan out and they really had been targeting LA or something.

But still. Seattle. Whoot.

I agree with those who say it was a dumb idea, and they should have known there would be overreaction. Would it have been so hard to alert the cities this was going on?

I also agree it was blown way out of proportion, and the media contributed to that.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

I live in the Boston area. While I believe it was a bit blown out of proportion who in their right mind would put stuff like that near highway ramps? Look at what is going on in the world today! It was a completely stupid idea.

At least the Boston Police were on top of it. There was at least one of those stupid devices that had wires sticking out of the back. It's better to be safe than sorry i say.

There were also two fake pipe bombs found yesterday.

Like I said earlier it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Create some chaos in your city!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mooninites-Ignig...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Whoa! Look how much it's gotten up to.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978
I live in the Boston area. While I believe it was a bit blown out of proportion who in their right mind would put stuff like that near highway ramps?
Because these obviously appear to be bombs.
Somehow I doubt Al Qaeda has a sense of humor

Old 02-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:46 AM
are you saying that the biggest zz-top fan club on the planet doesn't have a sense of humour???
Old 02-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

I found an article that sums up my feelings succinctly.

Quote:
Non-Terrorist Embarrassment in Boston

The story is almost too funny to write about seriously. To advertise the Cartoon Network show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force," the network put up 38 blinking signs (kind of like Lite Brites) around the Boston area. The Boston police decided -- with absolutely no supporting evidence -- that these were bombs and shut down parts of the city.

Now the police look stupid, but they're trying really not hard not to act humiliated:

Governor Deval Patrick told the Associated Press: "It's a hoax -- and it's not funny."

Unfortunately, it is funny. What isn't funny is now the Boston government is trying to prosecute the artist and the network instead of owning up to their own stupidity. The police now claim that they were "hoax" explosive devices. I don't think you can claim they are hoax explosive devices unless they were intended to look like explosive devices, which merely a cursory look at any of them shows that they weren't.

But it's much easier to blame others than to admit that you were wrong:

"It is outrageous, in a post 9/11 world, that a company would use this type of marketing scheme," Mayor Thomas Menino said. "I am prepared to take any and all legal action against Turner Broadcasting and its affiliates for any and all expenses incurred."

And:

Rep. Ed Markey, a Boston-area congressman, said, "Whoever thought this up needs to find another job."

"Scaring an entire region, tying up the T and major roadways, and forcing first responders to spend 12 hours chasing down trinkets instead of terrorists is marketing run amok," Markey, a Democrat, said in a written statement. "It would be hard to dream up a more appalling publicity stunt."

I like this comment:

They consisted of magnetic signs with blinking lights in the shape of a cartoon character.

And everyone knows that bombs have blinking lights on ‘em. Every single movie bomb you’ve ever seen has a blinking light.

Triumph for Homeland Security, guys.

And this one:

"It's almost too easy to be a terrorist these days," said Jennifer Mason, 26. "You stick a box on a corner and you can shut down a city."

And this one, by one of the artists who installed the signs:

"I find it kind of ridiculous that they're making these statements on TV that we must not be safe from terrorism, because they were up there for three weeks and no one noticed. It's pretty commonsensical to look at them and say this is a piece of art and installation," he said.

Right. If this wasn't a ridiculous overreaction to a non-existent threat, then how come the devices were in place for weeks without anyone noticing them? What does that say about the Boston police?

Maybe if the Boston police stopped wasting time and money searching bags on subways....

Of the 2,449 inspections between Oct. 10 and Dec. 31, the bags of 27 riders tested positive in the initial screening for explosives, prompting further searches, the Globe found in an analysis of daily inspection reports obtained under the state's Freedom of Information Act.

In the additional screening, 11 passengers had their bags checked by explosive-sniffing dogs, and 16 underwent a physical search. Nothing was found.

These blinking signs have been up for weeks in ten cities -- Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Austin, San Francisco, and Philadelphia -- and no one else has managed to panic so completely. Refuse to be terrorized, people!

Posted on February 01, 2007 at 01:08 PM
Old 02-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

I feel bad for those two guys being prosecuted. They were working for a company - shouldn't the company be held responsible instead?
Old 02-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

Is your ego satisfied??
Old 02-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978
who in their right mind would put stuff like that near highway ramps? Look at what is going on in the world today! It was a completely stupid idea.
Guerilla marketeers would! Think of the captive audience this LITE-BRITE TOY could capture wile people are stuck waiting to get down into the Big Dig?

Oh, yeah...Big Dig. THERE is a completely stupid idea!