Turkish Writer Fined for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Expecting another Rushdie?Similar situation.....Man revealed some historically proved facts about slaughtering of Armenian people in the past etc; not yet well informed about the content of the book

Actualy i see it more positive. Two or three years ago he would be put in jail and tortured,.....changes comes slowly.

Turkey is a work-in-progress, and I think few would think otherwise. Looking at the United States under John Adams, we were worse off than Turkey.

Melon

I agree that a man should not be punished for making statements or declaring his opinion. Since the beginning, I saw this trial as nothing more than a joke, everyone knew that it would not go anywhere. It a shame that people are put to trial for stating their opinions.

Yet I am also amazed by the hypocrisy of the West over this matter. A few months ago, some Turkish politician was ARRESTED and JAILED for saying there is no genocide, in switzerland! No one said that was a violation of human rights, while it very well was. It is totally fine if it is the laws of the West that ban freedom of speech, yet Turkey cant do that.

I have also lost all the regard I had for Orhan Pamuk, since he is a mudslinger of the highest order. He did not offer any evidence to prove his claims, he just made the statement out of the blue. Its not like he is an expert either. Despite all his success, I am not one bit proud of him. A lot of people who've read his books with interest share the same sentiment. It would be a sound business decision for him not to release any new books here. I know Im not buying.

Why would Orhan Pamuk, Turkish citizen and writer,go against his own people if not but in pursuing the truth?Instead of denying,every nation should reconcile the past with present in order to maintain the perspective future.

Back
Top Bottom