Turkey has INVADED Northern Iraq

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
According to CNN Turkey has started sending its troops into Northern Iraq.

It's really a pity, honestly. Iraqi Kurdistan was a model government for the rest of the Middle East, even if it wasn't a "real" government. Two times the betrayal. I really feel sorry for the Kurds, honestly.

Melon

It's on their "tracker" right now. No specific news has been reported yet.

Melon

Can't they invade some other country we found this one first!!!

Turkey enters Iraq

TURKISH TROOPS ENTER IRAQ

Turkish troops have crossed the border into northern Iraq, according to reports on Turkish television station IHA.

Earlier, Turkey opened its airspace to US military aircraft as war rages in neighbouring Iraq.

The country said it wanted to control the flow of refugees to prevent "terrorist activity" and does not have territorial ambitions.

But Washington has been strongly opposed to Turkey's troops moving into Iraq, though the US has not yet given an official reaction.

Turkish Defence Minister Vecdi Gonul earlier told reporters that the deployment of troops is necessary to rout out Kurdish guerrillas and prevent an influx of refugees.

Kurdish troops in the area have said they fear clashes with Turkish troops.

Turkey's parliament had already given the US the green light, but the government also had to give its consent.

According to surveys, over 90% of Turks are against the war on Iraq.

Dreadsox,

Sorry!
but I highjacked your Iran thread on this. So we got 2 stories going. (sorry) It was reported on CSPAN also. I'm really liking their news coverage.

The Kurds, I fear are once again getting screwed by a Bush. I fear that the US will say bad Turkey and leave it be.

I hate this kind of politics.

Well, it only makes sense.

The coalition screwed them upside down last time, so it's only fair they came back to screw them over sideways as well.

Freedom, my ass.

Scarletwine said:
WW3 maybe?

Not yet.

But its not bi-lateral anymore if Turkey declares war. Then its a multilateral war, which is very bad. But that was clear from the start. We have warned about it numerous times. Now its a little late. Lets just hope no one declares war on Turkey. Its kinda near to Europe, you know. Everyone will get nervous.

From Reuters

Turkish troops move into Iraq

SILOPI, Turkey (Reuters) - A Turkish commando force of around 1,500 men has crossed into northern Iraq, a precursor to eventual larger deployment, a Turkish military official has told Reuters.

The United States has told Turkey it would not welcome a large unilateral Turkish incursion into northern Iraq, where Kurdish authorities are suspicious of Turkish motives.

Turkey says it needs troops in Iraq to control refugees and forestall any attempt to create a Kurdish state.

Kurdish groups have said they will resist any Turkish invasion.

Turkey has kept a small garrison in northern Iraq for many years, to fight Turkish Kurdish rebels based there.

More - The Story

The Kurds must be very confused, Allied forces are getting them to fight the Iraq army and at the same time the Turks are invading from the north.. :(

Dreadsox said:
Can't they invade some other country we found this one first!!!

I seriously was laughing at loud when I read this. :lol:

I agree, though, that is a horrible and sobering development. :| :sad:

I was afraid of getting flamed for that one.

Peace

Last edited:
Edited because I shared too much in my other post.

Last edited:
Interesting bit from MSNBC this morning:

In the north, a smaller force of Special Operations troops worked to create a northern front and also stave off a looming confrontation between two U.S. allies: the Turks and the Kurds.

Full Story

nbcrusader said:
Interesting bit from MSNBC this morning:

In the north, a smaller force of Special Operations troops worked to create a northern front and also stave off a looming confrontation between two U.S. allies: the Turks and the Kurds.

Full Story

:sad: This is taking resouces from places they should be.

Back
Top Bottom