Trump General Discussion VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Continue.

latest

Like I was saying. You may not agree with him but this is the kind of debate we need on Capitol Hill. Very level headed.

https://youtu.be/NzIq2yv4O4c

I don't have enough time to go through each and every single quote you cited, no doubt from a right wing site, as the quotes were taken grossly out of context and were blatant exaggerations, but I'll attempt to contextualize one that stood out:

You mentioned one about Mohammed saying 'oh kill all the prisoners of war you can find, behead every single one of those m******f******!!!' (Not really, but that's what the translation roughly said... and Sean Hannity :D )

Now, that was not in fact a Quranic quote, I believe, but a Hadith. It was part of Mohammed's last sermon, which he delivered before his death. It was:

'O men (mankind in general, not precisely men) you still have in your possession some prisoners of war. I advise you, therefore, to feed them and to clothe them in the same way and style as you feed and clothe yourselves. If they do anything wrong which you are unable to forgive, then pass them on to someone else. They are part of God’s creation. To give them pain or cause them suffering can never be right. O men, what I say to you, you must hear and remember. All Muslims are as brethren to one another. All of you are equal. All men, whatever nation or tribe they may belong to, and whatever
station in life they may hold are equal. (Raising his hands, and joining the fingers of the one hand with those of the other, he added). Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, any superiority to claim over another. You are as brothers. O men, your God is One and your ancestor is one. An Arab possesses no superiority over a non-Arab, nor does a non-Arab over an Arab. A white man is in no way superior to a black nor for that matter, neither is a black man better than a white, but only to the extent to which he discharges his duty to God and man. The most honoured among you in the sight of God is the most righteous among you . . . .Even as this month is sacred, this land inviolate, and this day holy, so has God made the lives, property and honour.'

As someone mentioned, what I think and believe of the texts and Hadiths is my opinion, and rightfully so, I agree. However, we cannot account for imbeciles who take texts talking about being good and forgiving and etc, (the same stuff that all religions preach) and taking it to mean something different entirely.

This was also over 1438 years ago. And Arabic can't be directly translated into English, without losing its context.

Same goes for the '72 virgins' bs. There's not a single sentence in the Quran which mentions 72 virgins, or any virgin at all waiting for anyone. Arabic, like many Indo-European languages, including western languages such as German, has grammatical genders. English does not. Therefore, the sentence has been lost in translation since time immemorial, with people thinking that the Holy Quran has some ridiculous promises included therein.

If it did in fact contain, trust me you'd have far many more people being extremists running around, don't you think?

Last edited:
This is a great moment of levity too from Lil' Marco.

https://youtu.be/kepdzLUNE64

3 weeks into his term we are on Trump VII surpassing Obama V 8 years on.

Interesting food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

One was a good president without much controversy, and the other lies on twitter 3 times before 8am.

Seems like a no-brainer, not much food, not much thought.

This is a great moment of levity too from Lil' Marco.

https://youtu.be/kepdzLUNE64

3 weeks into his term we are on Trump VII surpassing Obama V 8 years on.

Interesting food for thought

That's not a good thing, though. He constantly shocks and disappoints, hence more dialogue is needed between his supporters who think all this is ok and the rest of us who do not.

You may not agree with him but this is the kind of debate we need on Capitol Hill. Very level headed.

https://youtu.be/NzIq2yv4O4c

Wouldn't it be great if our President was capable of level headed debate?

Instead we get a man-child who lashes out at anything and everything that doesn't immediately bow to his whim:

[tweet]829660612452036608[/tweet] By the way, Gorsuch's own spokesman confirmed that Gorsuch did indeed say Trump's comments on the judiciary were "disheartening" and "demoralizing."

[tweet]829356871848951809[/tweet] By the way, Trump still hasn't separated himself from his businesses in any significant legal way. And his advisor, whose salary is paid by the American taxpayers, has now started urging the American people to by Ivanka's products. No ethics issues there.

[tweet]829133645055135750[/tweet] By the way, this is completely false. Obama didn't have his full cabinet in place until April 28th. George H.W. Bush until March 17th. Clinton until March 11th.

[tweet]828939235499638784[/tweet] Trump's own previous comments (and those of his sons) make this one false, as it pertains to Putin and Russian dealings.

[tweet]828574430800539648[/tweet] Yes, anything that is negative is automatically false. So level-headed!

[tweet]827981079042805761[/tweet]
[tweet]827996357252243456[/tweet]
[tweet]828042506851934209[/tweet]
[tweet]828342202174668800[/tweet]Our own president is completely ignorant of how our government functions, shows that he has little (if any) regard for the Constitution, and is more than willing to attack a crucial pillar of our democracy, all because someone dared challenge him.

I mean... I could go on and on, and he's only been in office for 3 weeks. He has the temperament and patience of a toddler, instantly lashing out when he doesn't get his way, instantly pointing the finger everywhere else when things go wrong, instantly willing to impugn and attack others for daring to stand up to him, unwilling to put in the time or effort to form a deeper understanding of the issues or encourage a deeper dialogue of the issues.

This is not okay. I understand that some people will never be able to admit these things due to the unfortunate team sports mentality in politics, or simply because they get a self-righteous kick out of seeing "the opposition" so outraged and up in arms, but the simple fact that a man this temperamentally unstable now occupies the highest office in the land is not normal and should never be accepted as such.

If Trump drops the Corporate Tax to 15-20% among other Pro-Growth policies he could tweet 'The Hokey-Pokey' every morning until he wins reelection.

If Trump drops the Corporate Tax to 15-20% among other Pro-Growth policies he could tweet 'The Hokey-Pokey' every morning until he wins reelection.

Google translation: I've sold my soul and removed any bar set for the highest seat in this country for some pipedream.

The official response to this Nordstrom thing is completely fucking ridiculous. What an embarrassment.

Where are all the conservatives defending the free market?

Nordstrom is a company that owns fairly high-end department stores, the bulk of which are located in wealthy urban areas which did not vote for Trump, in some instances by enormous margins. It carried the Ivanka Trump line which is a lower-end line compared to their other merchandise so my general feeling is that she probably got a deal with them because of her name and not because what she was peddling fits in with their other products. When people decided to vote with their wallets and not buy her things, Nordstrom acted out of its financial best interest and pulled the line. What is wrong with that?

Richard Painter is the former Chief Ethics lawyer for flaming leftist George W. Bush during his presidential years. His thoughts on Nordstrom below. I'm sure we'll once again hear total crickets from the Trump supporters in these parts.

Well, the government ethics rules, the standards of conduct for federal employees make it very clear that you may not use public office for private gain. A U.S. Government employee, including a white house staff member, may not in an official speech, official capacity a TV interview, promote the products or services of a business owned by his family or by the president's family, or anybody else. So that is illegal under the standards of conduct for federal employees.

Much more important, however, is the president's tweet really attacking Nordstrom for its decision to drop his daughter's -- the president's daughter's line of clothing. This is a direct attack on the company. It's intimidation. This company does business with every branch -- just about every branch of the federal government. And now we are being told that Nordstrom is persona non grata with this administration.

We have in this administration seen attacks on the freedom of religion, attacks on the freedom of press, on the independent judiciary, and now on the free enterprise decision. Business people are entitled to make business decisions free of intimidation. We do not have to do business with the president's family in the United States of America. That's not the way it works. I think the American people are getting fed up with this type of conduct. This is not the type of person we want in the white house. If he is going to conduct himself in this manner, pressuring people to buy his family's products and using the white house to do that. That is entirely inappropriate and it's got to stop.

So our president wants to renegotiate START but has to ask his aids what START is?

This is a fucking joke. This is why you need some level of competence to hold office. Have some basic understanding of foreign policy, domestic policy, law, business, economics, sanity

Trump has displayed none of this. He's attacked all levels of government. He's attacked businesses, he's attacked human rights.

All in three weeks. The only silver lining I can see is that with the amount of lies they spew daily, it's brought a focus on the truth/facts that seemed to be hidden for a long time. People may be waking up out of their "feelings fog " and start to pay attention.

Can I ask all of you something. If Trump was more even handed and acted more like a politician would you give him a fair shake? Or would you still be shaking your fists?

I ask because some of the folks I asked about Trump and their response was "We just want him to act more like a president." And then there were some that have said "Nothing he can do will make me change my mind."

Can I ask all of you something. If Trump was more even handed and acted more like a politician would you give him a fair shake? Or would you still be shaking your fists?

I ask because some of the folks I asked about Trump and their response was "We just want him to act more like a president." And then there were some that have said "Nothing he can do will make me change my mind."

I think the only palatable GOP candidate as President here would be John Kasich. But everybody would still be upset that Hillary lost.

Can't wait for Trumps Twitter meltdown about the appeals court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom